PSA: Reverb G2 small sweet spots, observations and solutions

Might be mistaken by I vaguely remember reading that one of Apple’s eventual goals in its rumored AR glasses was to have prescriptive optical correction built into viewing.

But also there is a definite movement to have a VR headset substitute for some of the optical tests an optometrist or ophthalmologist might administer to you. Just search on “virtual reality eye test” for a plethora of hits on the topic.

Relative to having to don and doff the G2, use my single vision distance lenses vs. my graduated bifocals, I’d be all for an AR/VR headset that could be opaque with the resolution at least of the G2 but go AR with graduated bifocal correction when I wanted to look at something in the room (I guess if the headset had stupendous cameras, it could be VR all the way). And, oh, yes! It should be wireless so I can walk off and raid the fridge while wearing it… :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I wear reading glasses. But what works for me is to use a tripple zone pair of glasses that you buy at the local drug store - for about $30 in Canada. These are marketed as allowing you to look far away, across your desk, or at the computer. This work great for me. On the G2, I also took off the removable face plate and put a counterweight consisting of a wedge of kids plasticine on the back headband. The amount of plasticine can be added or removed so that the headset is perfectly balanced, No more tunnel effect and sharper image all around

1 Like

To kill the cliff house and it’s use of resources:

Go to C:\windows\systemapps\environmentsapp_[bunch of characters]\….
Find environmentsapp.exe
Take ownership of that exe file (Google how to, it’s easy)
Rename environmentsapp.exe to something like environmentsapp.exe.old that won’t execute.
Enjoy about 1 GB more VRAM
Enjoy no more delay as the cinematic (flying triangles) is gone and the VR enable key pops you instantly into VR mode.

5 Likes

Probably missed out somewhere on how to load saved flights and flight plans best while in VR. When I stumble in the right direction accidentally, I find that when I go to load a new, previously saved flight in VR, that takes me back to the Cliff House and there I can see a desktop window of MSFS and load a saved flight plan or start a new flight. I am running MSFS in “windowed mode” - and I don’t have my VR controllers handy - so I could probably use some advice on how to access the File Explorer window in VR while still staying in MSFS. For me, the file system interface is the worst aspect of working in VR and Microsoft/Asobo need to improve the interface. Is this a Wishlist item somewhere where I could go to vote? (I am also running Win11 BETA and using the G2 under the MS Store version of MSFS, if that makes any difference).

Loading and saving flights in VR is very problematic for me I have found, I just make sure and do it in monitor mode rather than VR mode. In my case it just gets stuck on loading and never gets it loaded. Same with saving. In monitor mode, no problem.
I am running a Vive Pro 2 with Steam VR.