PSA: Reverb G2 small sweet spots, observations and solutions

Since the latest OpenXR and MSFS update my perception has been that the sweetspot is larger but a sligth increase of god rays is present. Has anyone else noticed any change on their headsets after the updates?

I much more prefer it this way (more god rays and larger sweetpsot) than the other way (poor sweetspot no god rays). The amount of god rays are miniscule anyways and your brains very quickly starts to filter them out and you don’t notice them anyways.

@Altsak

• Glare (light reflection on the edges of the Fresnel lens) and Sweet Spot (the box in front of the lens where your eyes must be for best clarity and focus) are pure optical properties of the lens.

• Disk of clarity (the center area where the pixel definition is the best) is also only optically related and can be software related if and only if the renderer or the VR API is reducing the peripheral quality voluntarily to trade visuals for performance (as in WMR Portal when you set WMR to “Performance” because in this case it uses VRS - Variable Rate Sampling).

So if there’s a color misalignment present on the headset it will not manifest itself as a smutty image quality?

These are subjective observations - of course. Anything and everything can be wrong on my behalf. :slight_smile:

In my case:

• When I wear the headset so that there is no visible chromatic aberrations (white lines have no fringes in the center, and off center to some extent), the image appears blurry enough.

• When wearing the headset in an offset position so that the image is sharp, white lines are surrounded by red/cyan fringes.

The latter makes viewing through the lens at a different optical path, off center slightly, which is not meant to be where you should look through, but in doing so, it is also most likely changing the focal plane/distance so that I don’t need corrections (there is eye strain in the long run compared to the Index nonetheless, I don’t know if the lenses/panels are also properly aligned one to the other?!!?). But because you’re not looking where it was calibrated for, you get CA fringes. The undocumented registry keys permit changing the RGB layers distortion in order to over/under compensate the faulty Anti-CA filter calibration.

I am waiting for a low profile gasket but confirm chromatic aberation with G2, way worse than in G1.

1 Like

Theres one im 3D printing now from Thingiverse for the G2. 5mm instead of 12mm. Improves FOV and clarity apparently. I’ll let you know later tonight if it does :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have the JewCookie faceplate mod. It works very well but one thing to remember is that it accentuates any mismatch in IPD. Unfortunately my IPD is 72. I make out acceptably well with the default faceplate but I cannot use the FOV modded one, unfortunately.

1 Like

I think I’m nearly 72 as well, have you heard of any mods yet for physical IPD adjustment like moving the lenses further apart?
It’s not “too bad” but I do get some eye strain.
I was fine on the CV1 at just inside maximum…
Thanks

How’d it go?

Hello,

probably I missed something, but did someone try to :
buy something like this : vroptician prescription-lens-inserts for hp reverb g2
and print this thing : thingiverse thing:4666466 (or similar)

these 2 changes will bring our eyes closest to the lenses without wearing any glasses.

thanks for your feedback

If you don’t wear glasses you don’t need the inserts, only the 3D printed (shallower) gasket. I decided on this one:

Bit shallower on the bottom, nosepiece included, the velcro attached firmly by glue (not self-adhesive).
For my face shape works better than:

Thanks for this. I will check this one also,
but as said before, my concern is really related to people who wear glasses… most of the people who print these 3d models said it’s not compatible with glasses, so I was wondering if adding “prescription glasses” who can be inserted directly in the VR headset can improve the sweet spot in collaboration with a 3D printed gasket.

My return label for my G2 is printed, but I didn’t make it FedEx Friday, so I have a couple more days to play around with it. Maybe a counter intuitive question, but is there a way to degrade the sweet spot clarity so that the surrounding fall off doesn’t seem so extreme, i.e. more gradual? Either render scale in OXR or MSFS or some combination of settings I haven’t thought of? Current VR is a Rift S with OTT SS at 1.4 and everything else disabled or off and MSFS TAA at 100 with most settings at high or ultra. PC is 10850k, 3090 and 32 GB ram.

Hi
I am also havning problems with eye strain after a short period of use with my g2 and also have a feeling, that this could be sharper👍 I am also wearing Reading glasses + 1,5 So i guees that i would Gain something by using a + 0,5 lens in The g2?

I have Tried with my normal reading glasses + 1.5 but it only makes it worse.

1 Like

@ForzaSportX ,
The focus for VR clarity is at 1.5 to 2.0 meters or so. That’s the distance that you need your glasses to clearly work best. Maybe a simple optometrist visit is in order. Personally, I am quite nearsighted and use glasses (small frames - 135mmwidth -2.5 or so) but recently got Reloptix VR lenses inserts and they work great!

I’ve been busy with other things and haven’t used MSFS much recently. Finally got a new prescription and used it to correct my vision for VR with the HP Reverb G2. I’m 75-years old, have serious presbyopia (need for bifocals, requiring a diopter correction of +2.50 OD) and have had cataract surgery to remove aging blurry, yellowed natural lenses, replaced with plastic inserts for “perfect” distance vision, except that I still have astigmatism and as I continue to age (thankfully in spite of COVID!), one eye has gotten more myopic, the other more astigmatic. So what to do?! The answer would go nicely in this thread PSA: Reverb G2 small sweet spots, observations and solutions except our moderators have closed it.

I decided against prescription corrective lens inserts for my HP Reverb G2. For one thing, then the headset would be just for me and I couldn’t share it with anyone like a grandkid - “See Paris at 1,000 feet!” as my inserts would mess up the kid’s vision. And I couldn’t take my inserts to view anyone else’s non-G2 headset, etc. And it would take months to get the prescriptive headset inserts from Europe by snail mail or whatever without a premium shipping fee.

So I decided to get “single vision distance” glasses. My prescription uncorrected for presbyopia by recommendation of my optometrist on the prescription she wrote. I decided to go to Costco Optical because they have great service and if there were any problem with the make up of the lenses, they’d redo them to my satisfaction. And it only took me a week to get the completed glasses.

As I discussed in the Small Sweet Spots thread linked above, I found that I need no presbyopia correction wearing the Reverb G2. The virtual image distance is far enough away (virtually) that ~infinite focus works great for me with no + diopter correction needed.

It’s hard to be objective in comparing my unaided vision previously wearing the G2 vs. single vision distances glasses now inside the G2 after several MSFS updates and upgrading to the Nvidia 466.11 driver, which definitely seems to make things smoother and look better with the sim updates.*** The one thing that I notice, agreeing with CptLucky8’s observations in his Small Sweet Spot thread linked above, is that the difference in sharpness between the central sweet spot and the periphery seems much more pronounced wearing the glasses than with uncorrected vision in spite of my astigmatism and slight myopia with no glasses. But overall, one’s eyes age and my new prescription is much better than the old for seeing things in the real world and in the sim, especially on a 2D computer monitor as well as in VR. So if you haven’t done it recently, get your eyes checked and a new prescription if needed to make the sim look as good as possible!

My old glasses were pretty large-framed and they just about fit into the G2 headset with the supplied molding on. They were 148 mm between hinge points across the width of the glasses and the lens frames were 41 mm high. I deliberately got slightly smaller new glasses. The new ones were 134 mm across the width of the hinge points and 39.7 mm high. The length of the temples (side pieces) on each set were 140 mm. Just those small differences in measurement for the new glasses make it easier to don and doff the G2 headset and although I haven’t investigated it carefully, any change in FOV would probably be due to the optics of the lenses themselves as I don’t perceive the slightly smaller frames themselves as limiting the field of view in any way inside the headset.

If you were shopping for frames, what you’d see on the inside of the temple of my old frames is 56-17-140 (inside width of a single lens, distance between nose resting points for two bridges, length of temple). My new glasses are 53-18-140, with the other measurements on width between hinge points and frame height as given above. The old glasses were unsuitable not only because the prescription is out-of-date but because the whole lower half of the lenses had graduated bifocals going to +2.5 OD built into the lower lens. My total costs for lens and frames for two sets of glasses, one with bifocal correction, one with just single vision distance correction at Costco, with a special on-sale discount of $40 for the 2nd set, was $270, effectively $90 for the single vision distance glasses to use with the G2.

One other thing that might be affecting my single vision distance lens view is the Costco Optical determination of IPD was 1 to 2 mm smaller than I’ve been using. They claim their device, which measures each eye separately, is the most accurate available. They got 31.2 mm for each eye. I got 63.7 mm for both eyes with the iOS EyeMeasure app and prefer, when using unaided vision in the G2, to use 64.4 mm or so as my physical IPD for the G2. So I need to see how moving the G2 physical IPD around relative to that built into my single vision distance glasses affects the relative foveal sweet spot in the G2.

*** Note to match * marking in post 4 paragraphs above: Actually, a silly remark on my part. All I have to do now is compare unaided vision vs. the new single vision distance lenses right NOW - VR viewed with the svd lenses is much clearer than seen with my slightly myopic astigmatic uncorrected vision - so correcting for distance vision problems without correcting for very near distance problems (presbyopia) really works great in a G2 headset for MSFS.

4 Likes

Fascinating, I enjoyed your thoughts. I do summat similar with my Quest2. I’m 69 myself!

1 Like

Great to discover that we both found single vision distance glasses work.

I discovered a lot of my small sweet spot problem was due to not having the G2 positioned just so on my head - others have written previously about how sensitive sweet spot size is to exact G2 positioning and I guess I can chalk that up as something else I’ve rediscovered for myself! Vastly improves with more careful and exact positioning. Still looking into G2 IPD settings vs. IPD built into my new glasses.

1 Like

Just a thought, but with all the incredible ray tracing and other visual effects possible in FS2020, wouldn’t it be possible to code in a feature for VR where you input your prescription numbers, and the software adjusts what it displays so it is clear to the eye without wearing any glasses?

Am I just spitting into the wind here, or is that actually something that could be done?

1 Like

This would require another type of technology but if you’re not fond of of the Optics chapter in the Physics class, it might not tell you much. You might want to search for “varifocal” on the internet for more information.

1 Like