PSA - you can pop out windows in FS2020!

I find it pretty useless to just pop up the GPS screen, but not the GPS unit with all the knobs. It was good in FS9, it was good in FSX, it was good in P3D. But this is just stupid.

4 Likes

Yup. You have to do it every time too. And you cant interact with them. Pretty useless. These are basic essential flight simulator features that have been around for many years.

3 Likes

All panels like ATC, Checklist, flight plan and even Map view can also go to the other monitors.

Yes, but after you pop out all the panels you need, you have a “zoom” button on each one. You can press it to separate them from that window they are initially grouped under. No idea why they did it that way. Probably this is an unfinished feature they were working on, that’s why it we only found out about it now.

1 Like

Am I correct though that you can’t have a second monitor for just these though? The the main display will still carry over to the second monitor? Sol I can’t have the main screen, and then another monitor for just the pop out windows.

They actually seem completely independent. I’ll connect my 3rd display to check.

I haven’t set up a second monitor yet, but I had thought I read elsewhere on the internet that the display just continued over, so popping out the menus wasn’t as useful.

This is how it looks, with my two 4K screens on the sides, and the 3K display in the center:

I can keep the simulator on the center 3K screen, and split the popped out instruments between the left and right 4K screens.

Edit: I found a better way to move and size the popout windows using Windows Layout manager, but I leave my original post below for general knowledge.

I have a 4th display set up specifically for the avionics, and the windows have to be specifically sized and positioned every time.

So I us a semi automated method of positioning the windows back where I want them so I don’t have to manually reposition and resize every time.

1. Pop out the instruments.
  2. Use WinExplorer to find the popouts and give them each a title (1 & 2)
  3. Run an AutoHotkey script to reposition and size the windows.

This may seem fiddly, but I found it easier than messing around moving and resizing in my 4th monitor.

The first time I do this, I have to determine the size and position of the windows using WinExplorer (and alter the AutoHotKey script with the information), then I use it’s compiler to make an exe.

I have raised a request to have each popup given a unique Title which would eliminate the need for step 1 and allow other apps to access these windows for home cockpits etc.

The simplest solution would be for the flight save function to remember the window positions (I have also asked for this)

The script is very simple …
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

WinEADI = 1
WinND = 2

WinMove, %WinEADI%, 4608, 24,486,620
WinMove, %WinND%, 5162, 24,486,620

;;;;;;;;;;;

If there was some way to identify the windows (without a title) it could be automated further.

2 Likes

When starting a new flight, my ATC and map windows will re-open, will be placed in the same spots on my 2nd screen, but the windows are not the same size (and very tiny). I have to always resize them to a reasonable size again. Does it do that for you too?

If you have some old iPads laying around you can use the app Duet to achieve the same thing. It is working great for me.

Yup, have the same problem.
Not sure if it is related to the fact that I have a 1440p main screen, and a 1080p secondary… but I’m fixing that problem this weekend with a 1440p secondary monitor I found on Craigslist. :slightly_smiling_face:

Windows resized in this picture:

Jim-Sim

or even on pads like those with android or ios, geez even a phone is working - all for free at the moment.

check this thread if interested.

I’ve never seen the right Alt key labeled that way.

If I remember correctly, Alt Gr stands for Alternative “Grip”. Unsure what it actually means though hahaha. I tend to use it when I’m typing to my Scandinavian mates and need their funky characters.

1 Like