Purpose of Manual Cache

What does manual cache do exactly? Can’t seem to find a clear answer anywhere.
Reduce load times? Does not required internet while flying in a cached area?
Does it actually improve the visual fidelity of the cached regions in game?

1 Like

As I understand it, this is exactly what it does. If you know you’re going to be in a certain area a lot, you can set it up so you don’t download the same scenery over and over. (Assuming you also fly at other places so your favorite spot is pushed out of the rolling cache in the first place.) I’m not sure it’s very useful for people with fast, unlimited internet, but not everyone has that.

Yes, with one caveat.

My understanding is that it only caches the Photogrammetry, so if you try to manually pre-cache an area that has no photogrammetry, it offers no value and actually slows the manual cache screen to a crawl the next time you go to it.

1 Like

This explains it extremely well…

MSFS has implemented a useful manual scenery caching capability that enables users to predownload custom scenery regions to their hard drives. Once these cached areas are stored locally, scenery data will no longer be streamed when flying over these regions. This provides a noticeable performance improvement since MSFS no longer needs to share CPU/GPU resources to stream data while flying over your custom regions.

1 Like

Yes, basically it’s only 3D photogrammetry data. No Bing imagery like ortho4xp does.

Why is it when I am cashing in high res I can actually see the scenery I want cashed, so I download the capture, but when I load up the SIM the scenery doesn’t show, even in high settings.