Qestions about the BN-2 Islander + Bendix/King

Hey everyone! I love flying the BN-2B-20, and can’t wait for her makeover after the Trislander (which I will also be getting!) comes out.

Couple 'a questions. I am flying from PHNP / NPS (Ford Island, long-ago closed but exists in MSFS)on O’ahu over to PHBK (Barking Sands) on Kaua’i. Just to figure out time and all that, I’ve got NAV1 tuned to the SOK VORTAC. (115.40). The Bendix-King KN 62A TSD above the Bendix-King KAP-140 autopilot (This one. If you don’t have it, get it!) - The KN 62A is not displaying the (Minutes?) to the object?

Is that KN 62A a default MSFS gauge, or one that BlackBox created?

Took a video just now (it’s about 5 hours after I started this post). Am I doing something wrong? This was shortly after takeoff from PHBK (Barking Sands) and I had the south Kaua’i VORTAC tuned in.

Also, has anyone noticed that the Manifold Pressure is incorrect on the gauge? I also use a program on my iPad called “Air Manager 4” - it lets me put gauges on the iPad, and it’s easier to read in most situations. Anyway - I noticed that there was a mis-match between the Manifold Pressure gauge in the cockpit and what the SimVar is outputting. In this case, I’m showing just over 17 In Hg on the SimVar and the Air Manager gauge, but in the cockpit it is displayed as 21 in Hg. I think it was mentioned that after the Trislander is released (and I hope they take a tiny break!) that the BN-2 is going to get a going-through and updating. I’m not super concerned, but wanted to see if anyone was seeing the same thing.

Regards the DME display, this is created by the airplane creator and not in the stock kit like KAP140. I flew a different plane on same route, the G44A from FlightSimware, and that airplane has correct display.

On the G44A, the Minutes is not from core, but calculated and displayed in the DME.xml file. Every plane creator would use different file structure. You could file a bug with Blackbox. Similar advice for the MP gauge.

1 Like

Aha! Thank you! I was going to message you, but didn’t want to bother you because it wasn’t KAP-140 related. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the clarification though. I gotta see if I can re-register for the BlackBox Simulations forums and post there.

(Edit) Just noticed something: should the KN 62A in your photo have the selector in GS/T mode for the “Time to Station” (minutes) to populate?

When RMT is selected the DME tracks the frequency selected by associated NAV radio. This is the most typical usage when going station to station.
When FREQ is selected the dial knobs can be used to select a VOR frequency internal to DME and separate from the external NAV radio. Then when GS/T is selected, the internal frequency is locked and measurements for it are displayed. This might sometimes be used for DME Arc approaches before GPS took over RNAV, not common now.

1 Like

Ah, got it. I think I had a partial understanding of what was going on.

Out here in the Islands, PHNY has a 10nm DME approach to an ILS landing. Like you said - not common though!

Thank you, jjbzflightopedia!

Just contacted the support team @ BlackBox.
(this is so I don’t forget)

• Rotating beacon showing in cockpit (on left and right side of windshield supports. Location at the top of the vertical stabilizer I would think means that it doesn’t have the line of sight.
  • Manifold Pressure gauge seems to be high by about 3" Hg. SimVars being shown by BetterBravoLights in “Variable List” match external gauges (Air Manager 4 on iPad), but not dials in cockpit.
  • RPM gauge is off by a bit, but not significant. (measured same way as Manifold Pressure.)
  • Logitech Radio Panel (external) will sync with in-dash GNS350 (mod from PMS-50), but not with radios shown in panel. Only tuning those directly will make changes.
  • Default Autopilot in aircraft - button lights do not light up. Installed KAP-140 MOD from FS2020-USER-TESTER. Logitech Multi-panel (like a KAP-140 AP, also external) buttons will light up to indicate function, but doesn’t show in aircraft.
  • Just had an “overstressed airframe” crash on descent. Descending from 10,000’, descent rate -1500fpm, IAS was 160kts.
  • Some of the other engine gauges might be off in their display in the cockpit. Need to double-check those.

Just in case someone from BlackBox sees this post before I get my account figured out for their Customer Center, I’m not upset - just wanted to let you folks know about a few things that you may already be aware of! :slight_smile: