Quality Control Management for Sim/World Update releases needs to improve

It has become blatantly obvious since the first release of this Simulator that there is a major lack of Quality Control regarding the Update cycle of Sim & World Updates; From Menu Items (Sensitivity Page missing), the Flaps Fiasco, Terrain Spikes, TrackIR broken and now the Mouse in VR not working correctly - and those are a mere tiny portion of all the issues faced.

It is clear that this process of rushing releases to meet deadlines needs either a completely new approach, or if deadlines are still to be met then the Quality Control of the releases needs to vastly improve across the board.

Take the SU7 Mouse in VR Bug as an example; How on Earth can the most basic control component of the Windows Operating System be bugged like this in Sim? It’s something you’d expect of an indie dev working on his own not a huge company like Asobo with backing from the gigantic Microsoft. The very fact this is mentioned in the “Known Issues” section of the Patch Notes actually makes things worse, this is actually known to be a Bug yet there seems to be zero attempt to fix it before release. Especially when the Workaround is so simple in itself, it all points to a major lack of management to say “hey we can’t ship like this” - Why is such a very basic Bug not dealt with prior to release or Hot fixed immediately after? For such a basic bug it has major consequences, Jorg himself says he flies mainly in VR, did he not want this fixed!?

This apparent ignorance to check over each Update has been a major downfall of this Simulator since Day One, practically every Update is Two Steps Forward but One Step Back when items that worked just fine previously have become broken thereafter. It all points to the aforementioned Quality Control or lack thereof, it’s therefore time right now whilst we await SU8 to have a long hard think about how you - Asobo/Microsoft - deal with each release, how you manage each section of the Simulator, how you check off items that are broken where they worked before and make sure to fix them prior to release. It doesn’t take a genius to realise you can do so much better, it’s practically common sense to check over everything before each release to make sure an Update process runs smoothly

For a company of your size this as it is currently is simply not good enough, such school yard errors like the very few I’m mentioned here should simply not be happening if you had some Quality Control over each release.
The time is now to improve, for the sake & sanity of your user base - Please listen.

The High Altitude Temperature issue is back this update too.

1 Like

Well said. I can’t believe they are releasing updates in such a bad state.

3 Likes

Well said! Could not agree more. I really really like the sim, but this neverending update circle with two steps forward and one back (if lucky!) becomes more and more difficult to bear. The fact that the current version of the sim is called “Game of the year edition” is honestly quite sad.

That being said, I have a suggestion to make this wish a bit more specific. “Better quality control” is a rather general request - of course everyone wants the best possible qc. What I would suggest as a specific wish is: take more time to do the bug fixes only “SU8” or do it in several steps. The time to SU8 release date (don’t remember the exact date but they mention January or February in the last Q&A) is definitely not long enough to be able to tackle a fair amount of the bugs. Make a serious beta testing phase with enough time to fix stuff that is found there. Release the only, when there is no “one step back” part included!

4 Likes

The people needing bug fixes already bought the product as opposed to those now wanting to buy Game of the Year with aerial races, etc. MS Marketing arm in full swing :+1:

1 Like

The core issue I see is they set the release date of the update way before anyone can know whether it‘ll be finished and stable by then. The result is they never have enough time to betatest it long enough to fox all bugs and issues. It’s also the case with SU8. The 21st of February is 3 months from now. How can they set a deadline like that this early???all in all it’s a very bad approach which is why it’s very uncommon in the gaming industry as far as I know. I myself cannot think of a rational reason to stick to this way of doing this. Why would an update have to release on a specific date so urgently? And just imagine the pressure on the developers??? Martial for example is also knowingly not a fan of it so why go through so much trouble? I’m seriously puzzled!

1 Like

Bush Trips over 160 complains about it in the last 6 month
Jayne brought it up in the last QA
Asobo said yes I think it is fixed in update 7 not sure.
Jayne thank you
Next subject.
If this is the way they handle problems with their QA I am sorry nothing will ever change.
Someone must take control of this mess. Another problem Asobo is a French Company nothing wrong with that but in the QA I only get about 50% what the Asobo people are saying. Microsoft get control of this situation or close it down. After one year of updates that fix some items and break others.
Sorry for my harsh words it is time to take control. It is obvious
the people in charge are unable to control updates, fixes, QA and deadlines.
The attitude should be we will take whatever it takes to correct this sim no more excuse’s or it is a 10 year project. If it is it was not ready for paying customers.

1 Like

I’ll advise this is my pure customer observation. I agree 100% that quality control is a mess.

This is going to hurt a bit of reputation. Refinement, polished products and overall quality are becoming second nature. Prioriry is to bring something new and support sales.

From my perspective updates are getting worse one after the other. The number of bugs, incomplete things and lack of clarity are becoming the norm. It is very frustrating from the customer side.

Beta testing seems a joke to say the least. This is not a statement against the people involved but maybe to the processes in place. We heard announcements of SU7, Goty and Reno and after the announcement there was a very small window for testing. Its seems that either beta testers did not reported the problems or the amount of problems were unsolvable for the corretion timeframe. Or maybe both. Does the testers are just enjoying the updates on a anticipated basis? Are they really reporting evertything? How can a plane be released without funcioning at all fron Cold and Dark? This is the most basic thing from day one on the simulator. Every single plane should be able to start.

Forgive me. I don’t want to be looking for somebody to hold this prize but at least it is clear that a simple quality control checkpoint is missing. There should be someone that can check if the airplane can start or no as planned. Plane are flown with checklist but their coding is not?

And when it happens with the new products the impression in even worse. Is it a unfinished product? Is it a badly crafted product or do they simple don’t care at all?

Volocopter checklist is a joke. Aircraft does not start cold and dark which is another joke. It feels cheap. Lot’s of lack of attention to it. And what bothers me is that it has been announced as an innovation. The quality of video teaser was excelent. So no hiccups on marketing but tons of frustration in reality.

It really triggers me a cognitive dissonance. Reality falls deeply behind advertisements.

Microsoft and Asobo should look at themselves and really ask what they are doing. They don’t even apologize for the stuff they’re doing. Kind of leaving in a separate world.

The plataform is awesone. The possibilities are tremendous but as a company I was expecting much more responsibility than we’re getting with MSFS franchise.

7 Likes