Quest 1 users, anyone?

Hi,

I’m struggling optimizing my setup, but ALL resources only talk about the Quest 2, not the Quest 1. As if all Quest 1 users left the scene or only Quest 2 users bought MSFS.

My setup is a Ryzen 5600x, RTX3080, 32GB and a Quest 1. After playing around with all kinds of settings and switching between Oculus Link and Virtual Desktop, I managed to get out a relatively stable 30fps (moving between 24fps and 36fps) via Virtual Desktop when flying over Lower Manhattan during early morning with clear skies in a Cessna 172. Render Scaling is at 100 (render resolution 1920x2124) and other settings medium to high. (Glass cockpit refresh set to high)

I have the idea that the Quest is the bottleneck, but I have no idea how to conform that. Are there any Quest 1 users among us that habve similar results or is there a way to crank some more out?

I mean, I can’t complain a lot as it still runs pretty smooth, but still I wonder why I can’t get out of my relatively high end PC. In comparisson, I get a steady 72fps in Half Life:Alyx over Virtual Desktop.

1 Like

I am using a quest on an HP omen 15 laptop. 10th Gen I7, RTX 2060, 16 gigs of Ram. It has been very difficult and time consuming to get VR performance up to decent playability, but it can be done. Whether that is due to the quest or the 2060 is tough to sort out, but after reading just about every tuning thread on this site and a ton of experimentation I’ve come to the following conclusions:

A specific driver is not the right answer for all systems. Lots of folks love Nvidia driver 457.30. It was terrible on my machine. The latest driver is not the fastest frame rate for me, but it is definitely the smoothest.

Using GPU overclocking such as MSI’s program may speed up frame rate but induce stutters, or not. Depends on the driver and the system.

Using the Oculus Tray Tool (OTT) may work well or not. Again, depends on the system and the driver in use. Likewise with the Oculus debug tool (ODT). Within those tools, setting super sampling rates and using ASW may make things better or worse for both stutters and frame rates. Depends on the system and the driver.

Using Windows Hardawre Accelerated Graphics (HAG) may make thing worse or better. Again, depends on the driver and the system.

Are you starting to see a pattern here? Thought so. Having said that, after so many hours of testing that I am embarrassed to admit I have figured out what currently works best for MY SYSTEM:

I use MSI overclocking for the GPU. I also use the built in Omen gaming program to unservolt the CPU a bit, just to reduce overall heat load.

I use ODT to set the following parameters:
Supersampling rate is 1.4
FOV is .7;.7
ASW is force 45 fps, ASW disabled
Distortion curvature is set to low
Encode resolution is 2912
Bit rate 200

After setting all of that, minimize (don’t close) ODT.

Open the oculus link software, start MSFS, and go to settings. Reset everything to default. Set TAA TO 70, building and terrain to 70, and everything else that is set to low should be set to medium. Those items that are off by default can be left off for the time being.

Launch the game from the airport of your choice. Once you are there, ctrl tab to start VR.

Hope it works for you. If not, we can start discussing Nvidia driver settings. I have tweaked some of those as well but I’m not convinced they matter that much.

Since you have a 3080 you should be able to get away with much higher resolution than I can, but I don’t know at what point the quest becomes the bottleneck.

1 Like

LOL! Thanks for your extensive post. I was already thinking that I was getting crazy, but I see that you have the same experience with this as I already had. Trying everything and discovering that there is absolutely no pattern whatsoever. To find the best performance it would basically mean that you have to try each every driver, with each and every setting of each and every component…rrrrright… But I think this is not only bound to the Quest 1, as I see people reporting framerates varying from a stuttering 10fps up to a butter smooth 45fps with the same headset (either Quest 2, G2, etc.) and similar GPU. Also I even read stories from people who say that one day they have smooth and decent framerates and the next day, without changing anything and doing the same flight, the performance is terrible.

So you confirm what I already thought, it’s undoable to find the best performance settings and hence I’ll stick to what I have right now and wait for future updates. Current performance is very acceptable and it will only get better from here. Especially when DX12 support will be implemented.

I see that your FOV is 0.7, don’t you find the small FOV annoying? I mean, it looks like looking through a shoe box. What fps do you get?

I must say that currently I get the highest and most stable fps with Virtual Desktop, but I find the solution via Link resulting in a tad sharper image, but just marginally. Also I use the Steam version of OpenXR, so I can use SteamVR, which has some more flexible sliders for adjusting the resolution.

I am getting 29 - 38 FPS over Washington DC. And that is flying at treetop level. The quest seems to have a field of view that is equivalent to .75 or .8, so the very minor bit of truncation doesn’t bother me at all if it means acceptable performance otherwise.

Unfortunately VR in MSFS is a real $hit show. I hope they get it sorted out.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.