Quest 2 - 42fps - FIX - don't use link cable

How did you get MSFS to recognize the headset. I see the comment referring to the registry key which I changed to oculus-runtime\oculus_openxr_64.json.

Do I need to change it back to something else?

Honestly I had zero issues. I just plugged in the oculus link cable, gave permissions in the headset and let it install everything on the PC.
Then I downloaded virtual desktop in the headset in the oculus quest store. Then downloaded the PC application for virtual desktop.

I opened up virtual desktop on the headset, totally wireless, connected to the PC and the connection was good. Then I opened MSFS and when the time came I hit CTL+ALT and it popped up with no issues.

Hmmmm… did you change the registry key to the oculus-runtime\oculus_openxr_64? Or did you not do that step?

I never had to do that step. Im not sure why others are having to do those steps, but I guess I got lucky.

To use Virtual Desktop with MSFS wirelessly, you need to set the openXR runtime to steamVR, not Oculus. The easiest way to do that is start steamvr, go to the developer tab, and click the big button that says ‘change openxr runtime to steamvr’ (or something like that, going from memory)

Thank you! I’ll try it. It works even if I didn’t buy it on Steam?

Yes. You’ll still need to install steamVR, but steamVR works with things whether or not they were bought from the steam store. It’s its own runtime, like the Oculus runtime.

1 Like

It worked. Thanks so much. My system with Quest 2 is working so well! VR is blowing my mind again and with MSFS it is so beyond what I thought I would get out of this experience. I just built a system with an i7 10700k and RTX 3080. After I spent some time tweaking, I’m getting to a sweet spot and VD definitely helped stabilize it. Should get better from here. I see comments that Quest 2 isn’t working but that is not the case with me, it works beautifully. I’ll post settings and system tomorrow if anyone’s interested.

3 Likes

I’d be interested in your settings! I’m sure there’s a minor tweak I can do to improve my experience!

Swirlymaple, I never thought about installing SteamVR over using the Oculus software. Ive had SteamVR for so long from my old windows mixed reality to the quest 1 to the quest 2, I never even thought about it! Clever

1 Like

Glad you got it running! Quest is kind of a confusing beast since it has so many different options in how it can be run, but it’s worth it. And VD is just a marvel of genius app development. Nice job for sticking with it!

Dear all, for those who have VD - are you able to read the cockpit instruments? I am using Oculus Link and the expereince is quite blurry :frowning:

This seems silly, but it works. :slight_smile:

In a real plane, if I cant see the instruments, I just pull my chair close to the dash. I am doing that for t/o and landing in the sim too… move your camera closer (equivalent of a 70 degree FOV)

Fun Fact: that was the default setting, and SteamVR killed my experience… after pointing it to the Oculus installation (you need to activate Beta for this) it worked way way better. (non Steam version here)

Bertoo did you use virtual desktop through Oculus?

I have exactly the same question…

To repeat from above - you have two options:

1. Oculus Quest 2 with Link cable - use Oculus regedit settings for OpenXR (use ODT or OTT and start Oculus Home)
  2. Oculus Quest 2 wireless with VD, use SteamVR regedit settings for OpenXR ( Start SteamVR and use Settings Tab - Oculus settings do not apply)

NOTE: OpenXR Dev Tool settings are then not used - only with WMR

2 Likes

Whitav8 thanks for sharing.

I will say, virtual desktop has much much better performance over the link setup tho. So I would recommend the VD!

@SwirlyMaple7, I don’t see any option in SteamVR Developer menu that looks anything like “change openxr runtime…”. Any chance you could take a peek and point me in the right direction? Thanks!

Don't set location of OpenXR runtime with the registry, use OpenXR Loader Specs instead This post has a screenshot of the button. Edit: also please note that if you already clicked that button, steamVR will be your chosen openXR runtime, and to change it back to anything else you have to edit the registry. It’s a one-time click.