Quest 2 - 42fps - FIX - don't use link cable

I’ve been playing around for days and reading everything I could.

I’ve personally found the Oculus Link via USB 3.0 or 2.0 cable is buggy and not working properly on MSFS 2020. (See pics in reply below)

I have a i7-7700k and a RTX 3080. I was stuck at 22fps on the link.

I switched to virtual desktop and I’m now running 37-42 FPS!

20201229_132339|690x444

!

Huge huge difference. I would highly recommend this, stick with 100% render resolution and medium texture settings. Im using the default settings on the virtual desktop streamer. I turned off motion smoothing on Steam VR.

1 Like

Apparently I can only embed 1 picture at a time. Here is before…

Here’s my settings on MSFS.

Quest 1 here, and yes Virtual Desktop definitely works way better than Link.

One of the main reasons is that Link somehow uses about 30% GPU to do its thing while VD only needs 5%…
And VD doesn’t send the frames in parts like Link so much less glitching, image is always great.

2 Likes

Hey, I’m new to the VR world so excuse the basic question, with virtual desktop do you need need to hook up any cable to the headset or are you totally wireless?
That would be a huge bonus.

1 Like

Virtual desktop turns the Quest into a completely wireless PCVR headset. As long as you have a good 5ghz wifi network in the house , its fantastic.

Or you go the old-school way and plug it in via the USB link cable and you’re tethered.

Half life Alyx is insanely awesome with no wires.

1 Like

I have heard so many times that VD (wireless) performs better than Link (tethered) – not just in MSFS and FPS wise, but graphical fidelity as well. It’s quite amazing that a single developer is beating FB, by a mile.

2 Likes

Quest 1 owner too, unable to pass in vr mode, the screen tur to grey, i can listen the music of msfs, but no visual, just a grey screen. I i open steam menu (left button menu) i can see msfs in background, if i close that menu, it return grey. Any suggestion? TY

You’ll need to make sure you have OpenXR downloaded and installed in your computer. Generally if you have the developer mode enabled on the Quest and connect it via the link cable it pre-installs it for you.

Otherwise you just need to install it and should fix your problem.

side note make sure MSFS is the active window. Ive found if I have the steam interface displayed on the computer, I have to alt-tab over to make sure the MSFS is the active window.

for reference Go into Oculus Application on your computer launch it,
Make sure you have the Beta -> Public Test Channel activated.
This should push the new V24 of the software . Install it restart
Launch Oculus Application - > General -> Unknown Sources to On
then try CTRL +TAB when sitting inside the plane

With link cable, there is no problem. I try to use Vistual Desktop and that is what happen without the link cable. Try to use msfs far from my Pc

Hi can you post your settings please in oculus software and openxr?

How do you get VD to work? can you make a step by step guide?

I only see a curved display in my Quest 2 and when I press CTRL + TAB i get message saying that no VR Headset is detected!

I have found a solution for that on Discord channel of Virtual desktop. That was my first problem. Now it is solved but fall on this new issue

You need to set the famous registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Khronos\OpenXR\1
ActiveRuntime to steamxr (normally “C:\Program Filies(x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\SteamVR\steamxr_win64.json”

1 Like

This is almost done, and the (no headset is detected) is gone. But the grey screen appear after that.

Wait, i thought vd does not work with asw therefore you’d need to get 80fps to be stable. Can anyone confirm?

1 Like

Can I use VD if I bought MSFS through the Xbox Pass/Microsoft store?

Yes sir! Thats what I’m doing.

Yes, that’s correct, although VD lets you choose 60, 72, 80, or 90 Hz refresh rates, so you can reduce the demand even further.

For me it’s still not the best solution for MSFS, because I prefer the fluidity of ASW vs. the slight (but not too bad) blurring movement you get without it. But, for some reason, ASW is very glitchy in MSFS as well as X-Plane, due to whatever weird rendering method they’re both using.

Many people would probably prefer the VD result though, just depends on what you find more annoying. VD is a brilliant piece of software and the dev has definitely embarassed FB/Oculus at their own game, without even having low-level access to their underlying runtime code. Well worth its price for wireless PCVR gaming.