Quest 2 - Bad performance ONLY in headset, ONLY MSFS

To start, the basics of my setup:
Ryzen 9 3900x
RTX 4070ti
64gig ddr4
MSFS running off of NVME SSD

Quest 2 is connected via 5ghz wifi, direct line of sight, router within 3 feet of me, virtually no devices sharing the network, nor are they active. Tested other games hours earlier, no issues at all other than a brief hitch once every blue moon (15+ minutes apart).

MSFS though? Even on low/medium settings it is strangely twitchy and juddery moving my head, going up to high-end preset it gets noticeably worse and glitchy. HOWEVER: This happens ONLY inside the headset. If I take the headset off and look at the rendered preview from my pc, itā€™s /buttery/ smooth. GPU sits at or below 50% load, CPU at or below 40%, so you would think there is ample performance headroom. Basically running at 1.2x resolution, medium or high-end preset with DLSS quality.
Basically - why is the VR preview on the PC buttery smooth when the quest 2 judders and glitches like hell, when I verified that neither wifi connection nor pc performance appears to be the limiting factor here?

1 Like

First off, there is not a more complex and less optimized VR application than MSFS! Start with the Activities->Discovery Flights-> Mt. Everest - with nonVR mode, it should be running at over 100 FPS, then try VR mode. For a regular performance test case, use the Cessna208 at a medium complexity airport with high level clouds.

If you cover the eye presence sensor between the Quest 2 lenses (maybe use a lens cleaning cloth), you will see it slow down then when you set the HMD on a table - thatā€™s the only way to really test when you donā€™t want to wear the headset.
I use 72Hz so that half will be 36 FPS and one-third will be 24 FPS. These lower FPS rates are about all you can expect.

You need your CPU cores to be running at 4.5Ghz or better - test them.

What encode resolution width and bitrate (set with Oculus Debug Tool - ODT) are you using for Airlink - maybe try 2912 and 150mbps. Check your settings with the Performance HUD enabled with ODT

Your MSFS settings starting with Medium seem good - use 100 though for T/O LOD.

Many of us are using the OpenXR Toolkit by mbucchia to give us some performance help - there are threads about it on this forum.

Sorry to hear youā€™re not having a good VR experience. In addition to the excellent suggestions by @SearBreak225638 , have you tried disabling ASW? This can be done via the Oculus Debug Tool.

Unfortunately, the default auto setting for ASW may at times cause a glitchy experience in MSFS for some users.

Cheers,

1 Like

Heya - Iā€™ll try the ODT settings, Iā€™ve had the link at 200mbps dynamic, which has worked /really/ well for things like blade and sorcery or boneworks. Still have to test a more demanding title like no mans sky as well, but in general it ran really really smoothly.
As for encode, pretty much default, so Iā€™ll have a look at what I can do there.

What really trips me up is that when I do cover the presence sensor and watch my pc screen, there are ZERO hitches or jitters, even on high-end settings it runs buttery smooth. I can look around the cockpit and there is no glitching or distortion at all, it only occurs inside the headset. Which again trips me up because other titles donā€™t seem to have any issues with link.
Iā€™ll check the performance HUD up next to see what info I can gather up, and may try the ASW settings as well.

I had the same issues.

I removed ALL other devices from the 5GHz accesspoint, so ONLY the quest was using it. Donā€™t know if itā€™s my AP, switch or router choking up, but it helped anyway. Iā€™m same as you, 5feet, line of sight to the AP. AP is cabled to the routher through a gigabit switch and a long (20m) cable.

I was having some problems inside headset too, the sim MSFS em XPlane12 was really smooth but it only solved when I:
1- Uninstall the oculus software,
2- removed C:\ProgramData\Oculus
3- removed C:\Users\ - your username - \AppData\Local\Oculus
4- removed C:\Users\ - your username - \AppData\Roaming
5- removed C:\Users\ - your username - \AppData\RoamingClient
6- removed C:\Program Files\Oculus
7- reinstall oculus software

Probably some settings from the past was bugging up something.

Maybe this video can help you

Things that have helped me re Quest2 - MSFS:
Cable works better for me than wireless (only MSFS)
Load MSFS.
Wait until in the Oculus link PC page.
Then ā€˜VR MODEā€™
Start flight.
Then open Oculus Debug
PC ASW enabled limited to 45 FPS
Then in Oculus debug, click file and then restart as administrator (important!)
Clear the shader cache every time you change the driver.

Meta Quest 2 is NOT compatible for Microsoft Flight Simulator!

What an odd statement! Works perfectly well on my installation.

3 Likes

Hugely depends on silicon lottery imo
myself with a 5800x3d and a 3080ti can have it run terribly,
and other can run it amazingly with way worse hardware than I haveā€¦
But it is also very dependant on everybodys equal standards of ā€œrunning goodā€ - People can percieve microstutter and lag very differently, but yeah for me the quest 2 is almost unplayable and I havenā€™t wanted to risk another headset incase itā€™s just as bad.

2 Likes

Can you tell us what is then?

Itā€™s been a long time since I last looked into this topic. I havenā€™t used the Oulus Quest 2 for quite a while due to terrible graphics. My specifications are as follows:

Windows Home 11
build 22631
12 gen intel(R) i9- 12900 KFā„¢ 3200Mhz 16core
Z690PG baseboard product
physical memory 32.0 GB
Total virtual memory 33.8 GB
Available physical memory 27.2 GB
Available virtual memory 26.9 GB

Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 memory bandwidth: 760.08 GBs
video memory 10240 MB

and searching for tweaks and watching YT videos, nothing can compare to make the Quest 2 compatible for Microsoft Flight Simulator.

I had my computer custom built and has been serviced. The flight simulator is perfect for flying with the naked eyes. Using VR and the dull Quest 2 now owned by Meta is just terrible with regards to the graphics. The simulator really does lag and youā€™ll find so much graphic problems when in game. The view gets distorted by looking around as the screen will be black in your peripheral vision and jagged lines will be seen as well as horizontal lines when moving your head side to side. My answer to snowdropchi is, your naked eyes, unfortunately. Thank you for the question.

My Quest 2 worked great thank you very much, as it does for quite a few other users on this forum. I used it for over 2 years and Iā€™m now on Quest 3 and thatā€™s working great too.

As previously mentioned in this thread, you must be doing something wrong on your side / build / installation etc unfortunately - and itā€™s not always easy to find.

But blanket statements like saying the Quest 2 is not compatible with MSFS are just plain wrong with so many people being able to enjoy theirs with very little issue.

What did having your PC ā€˜servicedā€™ entail? Iā€™ve been building PCā€™s for 20 years and have never had a machine ā€˜servicedā€™? Did they repaste your CPU cooler for example?

What CPU cooler are you running? Are you over clocked? What are your temps like? Is the CPU throttling?

Iā€™ve ran fairly similar hardware to yours, 13700K, 3080Ti, 32GB of RAM, Z790 board, Quest 2 and with the 3080 / 3080Ti being limited on VRAM (in comparison to a 3090 or 4090) it works best with the smaller GA planes, the Bush Trips in particular were perfect.

If you want to use some of the bigger planes in VR, you will need more VRAM unfortunately. I couldnā€™t fly the Caribou in VR with my 3080Ti (12GB VRAM) but itā€™s perfect since I upgraded to a 4090.

Black peripherals when turning your head is usually a result of low bandwidth in my experience - I canā€™t use Air Link due to a poor WiFi connection even though my WiFi6 extender is in the same room, so I use Link. I use Oculus Tray Tool / Debug Tool to change settings as well - thereā€™s lots of discussions and threads on that subject too.

You have to lower your settings for VR and if you can get the OpenXR runtime installed and OpenXRToolkit running then that helps with performance too.

Even then, the Quest 2 isnā€™t perfect, I found I preferred it running smoothly than having high graphics settings as that helped me for immersion. Try everything in the lower range, especially TLOD, OLOD, clouds and any shadows settings then experiment to see what works and looks best for you. One of the things thatā€™s made a big difference for me was turning HAGS and Game Mode off.

But MSFS on the Quest 2 is never going to look as good as it does on your monitor, you have to accept that and move on. To be honest, MSFS will never really look as good in VR as it does on a monitor due to the way that it stretches textures etc, just look at how big the moon is in VR compared to on monitors for example

If you canā€™t get smooth running with all low settings and at the native Quest 2 resolution (1.0x), using DLSS Quality then thereā€™s something fundamentally wrong with your build / installation Iā€™m afraid.

2 Likes

Many thanks pdixon0.
There are still small issues, but there is a lot of tweaking to get it right and it isnā€™t easy. Itā€™s quite daunting to be honest. Thanks for your input. It is very much appreciated.

1 Like

Have a similar but different problem with quest 2 - does anybody have a similar issue?
Specs are i7-6800K RTX2080 - it works all right with msfs but has a strange bug - at a certain point, at random the software inside the visor goes 2fps - and it remains there - the tracking of the hands is 2fps, the view is choppy and full of artifacts, the link home software lags, the buttons of the link interface appear and disappearā€¦ Restarting the visor doesnt fix it, it happens on link cable and airlink. The lag persists after closing MSFS. Only restarting the pc and the visor seem to work. Tried everything but nothing worked: updated all the drivers, reinstalled the oculus software, limited the encoding to 130mbps, set refresh rate to 72hz and limited fps to 36 via nvidia settings, set all the power saving settings to off for USBā€™s in device managerā€¦ Iā€™m thinking of reinstalling the os entirely but Iā€™m afraid it will not fix anything. Anyone has any idea?

Pretty hard to say because you donā€™t include a lot of your settings like ODT, meta Link pc app device graphics, nvidia driver and nvidia control panel global 3d settings, win10/11 Hags and game mode, win10/11 device manager usb/properties power saving, to name a few, lol! If you canā€™t include a little more detail itā€™s pretty hard to suggest things that may help imho.

In general, increased lag after running for a short while can be due to things like too high graphics settings, background apps, usb power saving features, and thermal throttlling.

While your PC isnā€™t all that powerful for good PCVR with msfs, you should be able to get decent results, albeit at lower graphics settings imho.

I am a problem with Quest 2 also,
that is finish landing challenge in crowd city like Hong Kong,
or
sometime click ctrl - tab jump out from VR session and than come back,

performance suddenly drop to 14 fps. I have to restart steam VR to take it back to normalā€¦

Do you have this issue?

my spec is
i7 - 12700F
Cosair DDR2 32GB RAM
Lenxar 1T PCI 4.0
MSI 4070 TI super 32GB VRAM
Quest 2 connect to PC via cable