Quest 2 stuttering and tearing/flickering

Just a quick update, I had another mess about with things and managed to get MSFS useable with my Quest 2.

I set it to be 90Hz in oculus software with max resolution.

I then set in OTT FOV 0.7 for both horizontal and vertical, with ASW set to 30.

The key factor for me in the tool was to set the Link bitrate to the preset for a 970+ This was previously set higher as I have a 2080Ti.

In sim most settings are high, but I have the resolution scale set to 70.

I still get a few stutters but at least I can fly now until they optimise it all later.

1 Like

Actually spoke too soon, same settings and it is still a stutterfest.

So annoying I wish Oculus would do something about it

So right same here
Virtual desktop is amazing!!
Running fine with a i8700 and a 3060TI
Runs even with an 3060 and a 2060 had them both.

Are you launching Steam VR through VD everytime you start up?

Can you share your in game VR settings as well?

1 Like

what exact settings you have ? are you on windows 11? nvidia settings ?

I have 3060ti and i8700 (not k) 32GB ram

I have windows 10, nvidia on default.
In VD put the quality on medium and put ASW on automatic. Make sure youre headset has a stong connection to the router. Mine is conmected at 886Mbps.
Runs lile a charm with 30/35 fps in New York.
Resolution round 2700/2800.
Quite happy

Hey, I deleted my two previous posts to not create more confusion: What I posted was not correct. While I swear that problem did disappear the moment switched to the SteamVR runtime while using Virtual Desktop it is now also fixed when I use VD with the Oculus runtime. And to make things even more confusing: The stutter is now also gone in Oculus Link and in Air Link. Was already in contact with 2nd lvl tech support from Nvidia to collect performance logs and analyze the issue in detail, now I can not recreate the issue anymore. And this after MONTHS of testing and troubleshooting. It’s absurd, I am happy but baffled. If you are affected by unreasonable stutter/judder/frame drops all I can tell you is to open a Support ticket with Nvidia, they will guide you into analyzing the root cause. Sorry I could not help, good luck.

I just registered this account to say, please put your previous post back up!

I say this because I bought a new PC 2 days ago i7 11700k + 3080ti and MSFS through the quest 2 had been awful and actually made me feel down that this expensive new computer was a waste of cash. Tried every fix, followed all the guides, still rubbish.

That was until I found your post earlier today, tried exactly what you said and Wow! Works like a charm.

So thank you.

3 Likes

This is very, very confusing. Anyways, here are the steps from my previous post:

1. Install Virtual Desktop (VD) in your Oculus headset (paid software)
  2. Install VD Streamer app on PC
  3. Start streamer app, start VD, setup connection (works automatic next time)
  4. [THIS IS THE CRUCIAL STEP TO DO] Open SteamVR in VD, go to settings, developer settings, and change the render engine to SteamVR (if you have Windows UAC activated you will need to put down your headset at this point and confirm on your PC that you want to allow this change)
  5. Set appropriate quality settings in VD, set appropriate refresh rate

Please note that, as stated previously, I can now also change to the OpenXR runtime to Oculus runtime and it still does NOT stutter in VD. The buggy stutter is also gone in Oculus Air Link now, there is still a little stutter ONLY in Air Link sometimes, I assume this is due to a different buffering process (in VD I do have the buffering option enabled which removes the last stutter).

I have not even tested MSFS yet, so far only tested HLA, TWD S&S and Into The Radius. As all games had been affected previously I’d assume MSFS would also work now but I don’t have it installed currently.

Wonder who will find the root cause / who will hunt down this bug completely. I am out as I did already spend too much time and I am happy with my workaround. Will use VD from now on and made two backups from my current holy system state.

4 Likes

Any updates to this thread? I was getting this with the most updated drivers both Nvidia and Oculus and SU7

Have you tried these steps ?

I dont know if this is of any help to you guys having Problems with your quest2 but i will give you a quick overview of my settings. I dont have any problems with stuttering, lags, blurryness or tearing. It is absolutely perfect for me now and i am more than happy.
I have a Ryzen 3600@4200, rtx2080Super, 32gbRam Win10. I have locked my FPS to 30 in the Nvidia Driver and the only time it goes below 30 is when i am on a big addon Ariport or in big Photogrammetry Cities. Then it is around 24-26 but still smooth. I use the Windows Store Version and Link-Cable. I cant give you the exact values and settings since i am not at home now but i will try.

Nvidia Driver : 30 FPS , Prerendered Frames:2
Oculus Software: 90Hz, 1,5x
Debug Tools: Everything off except sharpening
Tray Tools : 2x0,75, HUD performance, everything else off
ingame Settings: PC everyhting low, lowest resolution (dunno if this has any effect), VR: rendering 100, Terrain pre caching Ultra, Clouds Ultra , Rest mid to high, bloom off.

There is one more thing, i noticed a massive performance boost after updating the Drivers for the motherboard. Win10 has its own drivers for your Mainboard and it would work without the dedicated drivers from the manufacturer but i highly recommend using them. this is something you could forget very easyly

i start msfs, while it is loading i start the Quest 2, then Debug Tools and then Tray tools. then i select my flight and switch to VR when i spawn on the runway/parking spot

I had been using 3060Ti and OQ2 without issue and at reasonable resolution, I kept increasing stuff so that the panels were not blurry.

I haven’t used MSFS2020 for perhaps a couple of months and then last week It updated to SU7 and various things updated - as you’d expect.

Now, no matter what I do VR is terrible. Turning everything down so that its literally 4 pixels doesn’t really help its completely unusable.

I use vanilla MSfs2020 latest NVidia.
If look sideways its all choppy and it looks like it actually goes backwards and forwards.
Occasionally it behaves. My CPU and Graphics are not showing as maxed out and the temps are not even getting that high.

I don’t have a clue what to do now.

PS- you can’t use it when it is working either because the mouse interaction is retarded, panels don’t draw, properly can’t be moved or closed.

Here’s a thing I noticed. It makes NO difference turning the settings down to like 4 pixels. That isn’t what’s broken here.

If I leave rendering at 100 and then take my headset off, although its tearing and totally broken, what I see on the PC screen is two perfect fish eye renders happily chugging along at about 40 fps. In other words the graphics are not struggling here its the link to the headset that is somehow broken.

2 Likes

Are you upgraded to win 11 and use Oculus Link or Oculus Air?
If your answer is yes, then downgrade to win 10 cause win 11 has a conflit with oculus link.

Yes, since upgrading to Win11 my Link is broken and have been using AirLink ever since, its not perfect, but better than nothing I suppose… Maybe V35 when released will fix compatibility issues with WIn11?

OR Maybe I’ll just wipe and reinstall Win10 and FS… Ugh… So many steps, so little time… :roll_eyes:

I upgraded to win 11 and started the nightmare. Shuttering everywere on my VR, no matter how much lowering my setting, no solution.
Yesterday I am back to win 10 (Lucky me I was made a system backup of win 10 before to upgrade) and now I returned to be an happy VR flyer with smooth graphic.
Since there isn’t any huge different from win 10 vs win 11 I will wait at least 6 mounths before back to upgrade again and only if oculus will fix this problem.

My Vive Pro 2 is suffering the same issue with Windows 11.
Reverb G2 and Index are fine, Vive Pro 2 is a complete suttering mess.
Too far along in Windows 11 for me to roll back. It has been reported to HTC but don’t think they are going to be in any hurry too do anything about it unfortunately.

Thankfully my Reverb G2 is not affected and it is the headset of choice for me with MSFS 2020 due to using Open XR along with Open XR Developer Tools. Sure would like to have my Vive Pro 2 working for some of my other games though. I am not a happy camper with HTC right now.

Try crashing your plane and then click restart of your chosen scenario.