Quest 2 stutters with ASW - where's the culprit?

EDIT: I’ve found my performance culprit. Post processing and sharpening are just tanking the framerate, even at the lowest settings. I had to edit the C:\Users\Kim\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator\UserCfg.opt file and turn OFF post processing filters entirely. The whole module, at the very bottom… After that I could even crank my supersampling up and still have smooth framerate with ASW active…

First of all I’m the person that needs ASW to be ON. I know many here prefer to leave it off, but on is a must for me. Personal preference, sensitivity to hz and all of that.

The strange thing is that my sim is always stuttering even when it’s constantly above 36fps (72hz mode). I have enabled pre-caching, set everything to medium and CPU high priority on both MSFS2020 and the Oculus Runtime… When a game is above the half refreshrate framerate, it’s supposed to be smooth (except the artifacts, which is not what I’m talking about). I don’t have performance issues, technically speaking…

It’s smooth in literally every other game when I’m above half framerate (36fps), but with MSFS2020 it’s a constant judderfest… Landscape doesn’t move fluidly, and it’s really annoying…

Do we know what causes this? Is it because MSFS2020 uses ASW 1.0 instead of the depth buffering in ASW 2.0? Is it because MSFS2020 uses singlecore and my CPU isn’t able to handle huge amount of drawcalls from the sim? It could be my old CPU that is the issue here?

Core i7 8700k @4.8ghz HT on (Same with 4.9ghz and HT off)
ASUS GeForce RTX 3090 ROG Strix OC
Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4 3000MHz 32GB
MSI Z370 Gaming M5, Socket-1151
Running from OS disk Samsung 850 EVO 1TB 2.5" SSD
Windows 10 x64 Pro
Oculus Quest 2 via official Link Cable (USB-C to USB-C on mobo)

1 Like

Well I have the same cpu with an 3060ti
I run Virtual desktop and it is very smooth with me. Tried a lot this works best for me.

There’s one setting that makes a massive difference to my VR performance. I lower terrain level of detail to 40. The slight loss in terrain detail further from the plane is worth it for the smoothness gained in the cockpit.

What setting do you use for Virtual Desktop? I just started MSFS with airlink because VD didn’t seem to work well. I have a 3080.

Hey Joe,
I keep everything at 72fps.
Make sure that you have a good 5g link witj youre router. My headset is connected at 866Mbps. Keep the setting in VD at medium and keep ssw on automatic. Automatic bitrate of.
Here is also a link you can check.

My renderscale at steam is somewhere at 2500/2500 it says 150%
Renderscale in game is round 110.
All settings in MS at ultra Becarefull with that new lod slider which can go up to 400.
Mine is at 300.
Works like a charm for me.
Airlink never got to work with me.
I am sure you should get this going.
Good luck anr let me know!!

For a 3080 you should be able to use high or ultra. This sets the resolution and quality.

Put the VR bitrate as high as possible, this will depend on your wifi signal strength.

For a 3080 card, choose HEVC encoding on the streamer desktop app.

Ensure your Steam super sampling is off / 100

I use VD ultra and 150mb with my 3090, and normally 100 render scale in game but occasionally reduce it if I prefer to have higher FPS and lower resolution (eg if doing aerobatics etc)

And you’re using ASW or SSW at a constant rate? I tried VD, it was even worse for me. Having great air bandwidth and all…

Have it at automatic.
Strange it does not work for you.
Youre machine is perfect for VR
I am running 35/40fps with asw…

Maybe my overclocked CPU has seen it’s better days… I don’t know, it stutters all the time no matter what

Probably CPU, I also have 8700k and ASW is unusable for me. Patiently waiting for Alder Lake.

I’ve found my performance culprit. Post processing and sharpening are just tanking the framerate, even at the lowest settings. I had to edit the C:\Users\Kim\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator\UserCfg.opt file and turn OFF post processing filters entirely. The whole module, at the very bottom… After that I could even crank my supersampling up and still have smooth framerate with ASW active…

Are you sure the sharpen setting actually does anything in VR? To me I see no difference and if I had to guess, it feels like it is stuck in the on position which is not ideal.

virtual desktop used to work well on my pc but nowadays is worse than airlink and link cable. Am using windows 11

I think I read somewhere that windows 11 is not supporting at least steam VR.
I stick to 10.
My VD works still fine.

i upgraded from 8600K 2080 ti to 12600k 2080ti, still getting stutters with and without asw.
Tried VD, worse.
windows 10/11, same.
Really disappointed with the game (not a Sim yet).
i feel like i wasted money…

haha, lol :slight_smile:

i feel like i wasted money buying MSFS, not upgrading :wink:
All the other apps and sims are using the 12600k as they should and the improvement is huge.
Feels like Asobo really don’t know what they are doing or what they should do.
I saw somewhere “Xbox Airport Simulator”…Describes it really well imo.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.