Quest2 with v33 (HMD and PC) provides a sharpened image

Nice. you have pretty simular setup about me. I7-10700 3070Ti 32Gb
And my ODT setup is similar. I prefere use SS to 1.2 and use global rendering in game to 100

So i can confirm that the image is sharpened, cockpit is far more improved, readability of instruments also, except that Garmin stays not readable withour moving the head closer.
For exterior it seems to have an impact also.
Tested with Air Link.

I try that, but supersampling is not predent in ODT. I guess in ODT is named Pixel override but was to 0

WOW! made some test with the new option in ODT and look like to have another VR! The image is much more brillant and clear expecially outside the window, and no impact on the smoothness.

1 Like

Glad to see you got there in the end.

@AlexFly2803
You MUST have both v33 on the Quest2 headset (Settings->About) as well as on your PC (not v32) when you check ODT and also the main Oculus PC version (Settings->General at the very bottom ) to get sharpening. Yes, Super Sampling is listed as Pixel Override in ODT and is set to numbers like 1.1 to maybe 1.5 depending on your GPU (0 is the default and means 1.0)

(The reason that I use both ODT(v33) and OTT(87.4) is that I want to use ASW motion reprojection (MR) at 18Hz (1/5th of 90Hz) or (30Hz = 1/3rd of 90Hz) so when I fly the freeware H135 helicopter, I can smoothly yaw around (tail rotor only at hover) with any major stuttering - these frequencies lock in medium density scenery - many of the MSFS landing challenges but not over really complex city sceneries so then I disable ASW. So that setting is available only in OTT as is the “pixel density” display in the Oculus HUD so I can check for sure what my final resolution is
 Then ODT has the Link Sharpening setting (Enable). I seem to be able to switch back and forth between ODT and OTT as long as I always cycle VR/nonVR with CTRL+TAB.
Look up in my initial post as OP for further settings

1 Like

Hows the overall clarity for you?

Thank you for your explanation.
Yes I have both on V. 33 and sharpen setting made the difference in my side.
About ASW I found not working for me. I use the standard 73Hz and setting ASW to 18 give me shattering. My PC hadle 36 Fps (1/2 of 72) easly, so not need to force with ASW. Quest 2 block my fps to 36 fps. Lately with sharpening enable I am testing Global rendering 115 and SS disable in ODT. I think is better.

Just a question. I face a problem in ODT cause not save my FOV setting. Everytime I start ODT I need to set the FOV. Is normal or its just my problem?

Unfortunately it is normal. OTT will save it though - and if you want to try ASW at 36 (1/2 of 72) just set 45Hz with OTT since it really means 1/2 of 90. You might want to try higher Quest2 rates (80 or 90) just to experiment. If ASW is really locked well, you will like it when you look out sideways and do a sharp turn.

i was bored to wait for app v33, so i had used beta channel and obtains v33.
instrument and exterior are more clear/crispy for sure, but not as much as i was hoping. Perhaps because my settings were already for a clear picture. Anyway, minor enhancements are enhancements and so, are always welcome.

Do any of you have quest 2 and reverb G2. Which of them has more clarity now?

The link sharpening has indeed a positive effect on perceived sharpness. However, it depends a lot on type of light. With clear skies the difference is huge. No need to focus you eyes all the time. But when the sun is setting or during overcast conditions i do feel that the effect is minimal.

I wish I could see a distinct difference but I cant say I notice it.

It’s possible to toggle it on and off without leaving VR - make sure the on/off is highlighted in ODT and press up/down on your keyboard whilst looking through the headset. Then you can see exactly the impact / check it is working properly.

2 Likes

Thanks
I will try it again.

@appletango26 ,
I wanted to point out the differences in our settings so maybe you could try the differences. You have a better Nvidia video card than I do (3070 vs 2070 ) but you don’t state what overclock you run your CPU at - I have a 9700K at 5Ghz. In VR, the CPU can be quite the limit.
Super Sampling: 1.1
Encode Resolution: 2912
Encode Bitrate: 300 (set with OTT but ODT reads 0 ?? ) - I will retest this
Q2 90Hz at max 5408x2736 - lets me have more sync choices for ASW (45,30,18)
HUD= Performance - to check that ASW is holding the fixed rates of 18 and 30Hz
— Also check pixel density (mine is 2200x2200 or so - Oculus Device setting times Super Sample )
MSFS2020 Render Scaling at 1900x1900 or so - Medium settings
Daytime scene

Forum members were asked about whether the G2 or Q2 “had better clarity”. My quick answer now that I have tested the Link sharpening feature of Quest 2 - is that with my HP Reverb G1V2 (same display resolution as G2 - different lenses) even with pretty high settings like 2600x2600 (any higher and I don’t have any performance left! ), I think that the Quest 2 image is more in focus and therefore more restful on your eyes especially when viewing the outside imagery. I appreciate the comments from RebuffedBee9595 that you can toggle from enable to disable while flying using the up/down keyboard keys when leaving the mouse cursor over the ODT selection. That really helped me decide since I could compare much more easily. The two test flights that I use are the Epic Landings to Tegucigalpa, Honduras using the A320 and then Aspen in the CJ4 which is a nearly night but closer to dawn landing in an aircraft with tiny fonts on the glass cockpit. There the quick switching between enabled/disabled of Link Sharpening really sells the cockpit improvement and watching homes/buildings on the ground out the side windows in both those landings really helped. I’m sure that a sharpening effect could help the G2 as well (and also with a faster GPU and more Super Sampling) - but I don’t know how to do that for MSFS2020 and WMR. I was able to use the mouse cursor and up/down keys to run through the various OTT HUD screens and the ASW frequencies (18,30,45HZ
) as well. Very handy!
NOTE: Just to clarify, you do NOT need to use the CTRL+TAB combination to enable/disable VR when enable/disabling the sharpening effect.
I am in MSFS2020 “hog heaven” right now with the sharpening effect and 18Hz ASW (even with the artifacts) since the cockpit view is quite smooth even when looking out the side window and the imagery looks quite clear - thanks Oculus!

4 Likes

Intersting again, juts one question about the toggle key as described, can we toggle other OTT options than the sharpening ( which is in ODT
), can we change ASW ot SS on flight ? without restarting VR session or even restarting Oculus / MSFS ?

yes you can!