Question About FPS Increase For A320 FBW Mod

I was told that today there was an update to the FBW mod that enhanced FPS performance. This is great, especially for me since I’ve experienced noticeable FPS loss while running the mod. This has left me stuck flying the default A320 which is currently in rough shape and nearly unflyable for me. Again, my main issue while using the mod is the FPS loss, so if there’s an update that fixed the issue, that makes me happy. Has the improvement been noticeable for you, especially those of you who are operating the sim on a lower end system?

My other questions is this. For some reason I can’t seem to install it on my PC. Either I’m not installing the correct link or the installer is not working correctly as it should. I’ve never had issues before installing the mod, although I always get confused where to find the correct link to download it. If someone could post the link to the latest version that has the FPS improvement that I read about, I would greatly appreciate that! I’ve tried looking, but haven’t found it.

There’s a new version of the installer. So you have to download the setup.exe from the latest version here, and install it. You should have three options to choose from. Pick the Experimental with Custom FBW, this is the one with the FPS fix (along with the dev version) but it also has the fly-by-wire system changes which should solve your climbing issue and generally the stability of the controls and flight dynamics.

I haven’t tried how the FPS fix really do improve the FPS. I’ll try that later today. But I might be having multiple mods being applied in my cockpit which may have affected it. Like I use a custom cockpit colour retexture, as well as Pilot and Copilot models sitting in their seats for immersion.

2 Likes

Okay, I think this is what had me confused earlier. So basically, the installer isn’t the same as before? For some reason the setup.exe wasn’t downloading for me which meant I couldn’t get into the installer, if that makes sense. But I’m all for an FPS increase since that was my main issue running the mod like I said. I’m curious to see if it makes a difference for me and for others, especially those who have a lower end system.

I’ll try the link you posted and may this time it will work. Thanks.

Yeah, they reworked the installer so if you had one before last week, they’re no longer working. So you have to keep the installer updated using the latest version. At least with the current one, they have auto-updates so you won’t have to worry that much anymore.

They made the displays refresh rate variable for each displays. So while the Cockpit-side PFD and probably the upper ECAM requires the fastest refresh rate because you need as real time of information as possible. The rest of the displays like the ND, lower ECAM, and copilot side of the displays can be refreshed at a much lower rate freeing up resources for your hardware to improve FPS in the cockpit significantly.

I think I read somewhere that they can improve from 30 fps to 45 fps due to this new update. so if you were getting 10-15 fps when you had it previously. Then expect somewhere along 30 fps. But this is just my uneducated guess. So don’t take my word for it. You just have to install it and see for yourself.

I did supply a link in the other thread to the new installer, did you miss it?

Oh yeah, I totally missed it. My bad lol. I saw your response though, but missed the link.

1 Like

I was able to download the installer.

So which version is the correct one to install that has the FPS increase? The stable, developer, or custom?

When I installed the development option w/custom fbw mod, I did not get any noticeable fps improvements. If anything, it may have gotten worse. Also, it refuses to follow flight plans created with Navigraph. The regular unstable dev mod works perfectly for me.

1 Like

So I need to try downloading both the dev. and custom versions to get the FPS increase?

No, you don’t download both. You can only install one. Try the Custom version first and have some flying sessions see how you feel about it. If that doesn’t suit your fancy, delete the A32NX from your community folder and use the installer to install the dev version. And do some flying tests again, see how it is for you.

The fps increase should only be in Dev/custom version. The Stable version will not get the FPS increase until they release version 0.5.3.

2 Likes

Okay, that makes sense. I’ll try the dev. version first and report back. Then I guess if I don’t have any luck, I’ll delete that and try the custom version.

Also, would it be dumb of me to ask what is different about the custom version form the dev. version? Does it fly differently?

It flies differently… It’s a lot more consistent and stable, and the responsiveness is much closer to how the A320 handles. And it handles better as well. (At least, that’s what real pilots who flew the custom version said). If you have Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant, the custom version is made to take the quadrant to its full potential, properly aligning the throttle detents between the physical quadrant and the thrust lever in the sim.

2 Likes

So I just quickly did two test flights using both the dev version and custom version of the A320 FBW mod. I honestly didn’t notice too much of a difference between the two, but again, they were just quick test flights.

With the dev version, it seemed smoother. Whether or not this was some sort of placebo affect, I’m not 100% sure, but it SEEMED smoother. I still experienced micro stutters though, so it wasn’t a major improvement by any means.

The custom version seemed a little smoother than the dev version. I’m not sure why that was, but I’ll try to actually fly an entire flight running it tomorrow when I get a chance and see how it performs for real.

Lastly, idk if this has been posted elsewhere, but I noticed I’m now unable to switch back to Mach mode. It stays in speed/knots mode even when I click the button. Is this the way it’s supposed to be, because it used to always switch back and forth for me in both the default and FBW A320? If it’s a bug, that’s a bummer…

Anyways, I’ll be back on here later tomorrow with a report after my full flight. Wish me success!

2 Likes

It’ll automatically switch to Mach mode when the aircraft reaches a certain altitude on climb, and it’ll stay in Mach mode during cruising. When you descend, it’ll automatically switches to SPD mode when you pass a certain altitude as well. I wouldn’t worry about it too much, unless you’re constantly changing airspeed or even airspeed modes. Which I never do either of them… Hahaha.

1 Like

Okay, thanks, that makes sense. Glad to know it’s not a bug then.

So I ended up not having time to complete a full flight today, but I have one planned for tomorrow which I should absolutely be able to complete. The route will be between KLAS-KATL, so a nice long haul flight using the A320 FBW mod. As of right now, I have the custom version from yesterday which I installed last night. Honestly, I don’t really notice any difference between the custom and dev. version, but maybe someone else can elaborate on the differences.

Last night, I said here that it seemed like I had better FPS performance using the custom version, but it turns out I didn’t have a flight plan loaded, so that could definitely be why I was experiencing better FPS last night running the custom version. I say this because I had a flight plan loaded when I was using the dev version and while it did feel smoother, I was still experiencing micro stutters. I was also experiencing this just now too while running the custom version.

All in all, I don’t think the FPS performance is a huge improvement, at least for me. It seemed slightly smoother, but I think some of it could be a placebo effect. Still, the mod is performing better than the default and it was following the flight plan perfectly. Also, the climb rate seemed much more realistic than compared to the default A320 which has been struggling to climb ever since the USA update. It also feels very underpowered, which I’ve talked about quite a bit elsewhere on here.

Performance is still the same anyway my cpu is garbage

So are you still using the mod or are you using the default still?

I am still using the mod.It works ok just when its time to fly into a payware airport the fps drops really low. It works just fine at handcrafted airports.