Questions about Forum (Sidebar and Notification) Update

Hi, I have a question about the new forum layout.
I like the new format and I like the fact that apparently we are able to customize the sidebar, but I can’t seem to do it properly.
Specifically, I’m trying to remove the Virtual Reality Category and add the News and Annoucements category.
However, when I click on the Save Changes button, I get the message that I “have not completed all the user fields”:

I don’ see any fields that I need to complete…
What am I doing wrong?

I got it to work, after a lot of fiddling around.
Once you click on the Categories Section and remove the Vitural Reality Category, click inside the Category Section selection box again. It will then give you an option to Save your settings.
Do the same thing to add News and Annoucements to the Categories.

Categories

1 Like

Hi, first of all thanks for your help :hugs:.

But that’s exactly what I’m doing. The point is that when I click on the “Save Changes” button I get the message "You have not completed all the user fields” and it won’t actually save the new options.

2 Likes

Hello @Giannino2,
I “think” the reason you are getting that error is that the required field that is missing is what platform MSFS is using. Go to this section of your profile and select the platform from the drop down:

Profile - Giannino2 - Preferences (this link will only work for Giannino2)

4 Likes

And right you were!
That did the trick.

Thanks all for your help.

4 Likes

Need a little help regarding the Forum configuration. Until today, when I signed in, I had an Icon (Latest, I believe) between the Search Icon and my profile Icon. Using that icon, I could go directly to all of the latest posts and review them. I must have fat-fingered something, as today, I no longer have the ‘Latest’ icon. I can go to the last post in my pull downs and get the posts from there, but it’s kind of awkward. TIA, any help is appreciated…

It’s all changed. I think there was a forum update and its reworked the layout. Much less easy to navigate on my phone.

2 Likes

The location of the “new” depends on if you are in mobile or desktop.

Desktop version (from main page of forum):

Mobile (from category drop down on main page):
a4242bd6b5f32a813742733acd64c686a0fd3b05

NOTE: The “new” will not display if there are no new topics created since your last view.

4 Likes

Agreed! Hester40MT, Forum Moderator Team replied and solved the immediate problem. New posts are on the bottom, where they logically should be…??? LOL! Now, precious moments of time, re-learning where everything is and tricks needed to make it work. A word from the forum Moderator team might be helpful in understanding why these changes and re-formatting were considered necessary. Change for change’s sake?

How can I get rid of the sidebar?

Just click on the menu button with the three bars in the top left corner

1 Like

Both on my phone and on my PC in Firefox I can now only see the tool bar with the “all categories” “all tags”, “Latest”, “New”, “Unread” and “Top” buttons when I’m in the main menu of the forum (i.e. I press “All Categories” in the sidebar/menu)

That’s a tad inconvenient. Before the update those buttons were always visible in every thread

The “toolbar” will be available in all root categories.

Exactly. That’s the problem …
It’s not available from within a thread. However, when I’m done reading a thread I normally want back to “New” or “Latest” to keep up with what’s current. I normally don’t go back to the categories. I barely use the root directories or categories unless I want to write a new topic or search for something specific. But even then I normally use the Search function
Basically everything that’s in the sidebar is totally useless for the way I use the forum.

1 Like

The forum software is 3rd Party and not developed by Microsoft. The software is called “Discourse”. This change did come at the request of users who use this software from what I have read.

This new side bar is in beta (this forum has always used the Beta version of Discourse).

Feedback and suggestions can be done at:

Search first before creating a new topic. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

That’s no reason to remove another basic functionality as descibed above

I always do. And I didn’t create a new topic, I answered to your post.

1 Like

Please read what I wrote above.

The forum software is not designed by Microsoft. Use the link I provided for feedback (and search that site). :wink:

I think @Hester40MT meant to say that when you want to create a topic on the linked Discourse forum, that he advises to first search over there to see if others have posted similar questions.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.