Questions about Hardware Upgrades

Hi LeoadnIX

Generally, I’d suggest holding off on any upgrades (as opposed to purchasing a new PC) until we have a better idea of what the requirements will be for MSFS 2024, though I’d speculate that these might not be announced until Oct or Nov of this year.

I have not researched this much (see this comparison), but I don’t think you would get a significant improvement in performance or get value for your money by upgrading from a i5-10400F to an i7-10700. Upgrading to one of the i7-14700 CPUs is a different story.

Because you like to fly the PMDG 737 and Fenix A320, I think you would see a better return on your investment by upgrading your GPU vs. your CPU, if you can only purchase one item.

If you choose to upgrade your GPU, you might also need to upgrade the power supply and / or fans and /or case, as any new GPU will draw more power & generate more heat than your GTX 1050ti, and the latest GPUs may not fit in your case, depending upon what you have now. If you replace the GPU, I’d strongly recommend that it has at least 16 GB VRAM or more (the RTX 3060 only has 12 GB).

The same applies, to a lesser extent, to replacing the CPU - you might also need to upgrade the power supply and / or fans and /or case, depending upon if you need you upgrade your CPU cooler too.

As you have determined, it is best to consider GPUs, CPUs & memory (both VRAM & onboard RAM) together. Upgrading just the GPU will likely just push any FPS bottleneck to the CPU, & visa-versa.

So, if you don’t want to wait until the MSFS 20204 specs are announced, with your current specs, it may be more cost-effective purchase a new PC, if you can afford it, or wait until you can, rather than just replace the GPU and/or CPU and/or memory. You don’t mention the name of your motherboard or if you plan to get DDR4 or DDR5 RAM.

This thread may be of interest to you if you decide on the latter option.

Hope this helps!

1 Like