Quick VOR navigation question

Say I am already in the air and flying a Cessna 152 with no GPS and i want to fly to a VOR… how do I find out what radial I need to fly on to get to it?

Previously I have done VOR planning in sky vector prior to taking off and that tells me what radial to use etc but if I’m already in the air and need to fly to a VOR I’m not sure how to find out what radial I need to set on the OBS.

I think you rotate the OBS until the needle is in the middle, then you know that’s the radial you’re already on at that point.

3 Likes

Tune your VOR into one of the radios. You have VOR 1 and VOR 2. When the instrument is active you will see that a from or to arrow will appear inside the dial and the line will deflect to the left or right.
Depending on the OBS use the knob to set the heading. If you do not move the knob and you fly in the direction of the line deflection, eventually the line will center. Provided the arrow is still saying to you just intercepted the to radial of the VOR… likewise from if you want to fly away from it.
Alternatively as already suggested turn the OBS knob until the line centers. Now you just ‘found’ a radial to fly on towards, or away, from that VOR.

1 Like

Hello,

youtube, youtube…

1 Like

There is almost too much stuff on youtube tbh. I watched a couple of VOR tutorials and neither mentioned how to do it without pre-planning in something like sky vector/little nav map.

You also can’t ask specific questions on Youtube and expect an answer promptly.

Don’t forget that a VOR has 360 radials… So you can fly to, or from, it on any one you like. For example if I was in the north of England heading to DVR I would fly maybe 140 degrees tune DVR into my VOR and turn my OBS until I found a suitable track to follow.

Ok,

maybe this one: Basics of VOR Navigation - YouTube

Really I didn’t follow video to the end but hope it can help you.

As several people have said, turn the knob till the needle centres, but make sure it says to and not from.

@Grumpyrocker answered your question. You just have to make sure you are getting the To indication when the needle is centred if you want to fly directly to the station.

You can play around on that webpage. Together with some good written tutorials you will figure it out easy!

http://www.luizmonteiro.com/learning_vor_sim.aspx

1 Like

Hello,
Please use Community Support for questions, not General Discussion.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.