Quintin Lodge Spitfire takeoff challenge

Bored of landing challenges? Try this takeoff challenge!

T004 Quintin Lodge in a Spitfire. Or perhaps you can choose another old warbird of your preference. Use the T004 in WU12 which is overgrown, not the freeware which looks a lot easier.

I ended up here by accident, I wanted to fly the Spitfire and enjoy the amazing WU12 scenery around the Milford Sound area. I dropped in a multihop flight with the first leg from Quintin Lodge to NZMF Milford Sound. I didn’t look at runways or weather or any information, just jumped in with live weather and total naivety. I mean, how hard can it be?

Well one look at the starting position on 01 and I was immediately laughing out loud. I like to fly my Spitfire mostly from open grass strips, but here’s a train track of a runway which claims to be 440m but a good chunk of that is overgrown.

So it’s it even possible? Well obviously with a challenge like that I had to find out! :rofl:

After my Spitfire fun I came back in the Zenith CH701 STOL and flew my original route. Takeoff from Quintin Lodge in the STOL was ridiculously easy, moral of the story is to choose your aircraft wisely!

1 Like

I had to have a few goes to improve my technique, open grass strips are a lot more forgiving. I upped my rudder trim from my usual 4 to 10.

My settings is everything on hard no assists.

Here’s one of my attempts, there’s a really narrow restriction to get through with the bushes.

Could I do it?

Open spoiler here...

https://www.xbox.com/play/media/D8HF6XNF7E

After that I flew into Milford Sound and landed (badly!) and then while taxiing along the narrow taxiway I clipped another bush by mistake and was instantly terminated. Oh well!

Now your turn, post it here!