R/C simulator?

Hi everyone.
Ive nearly finished building a radio controlled plane, but I have never flown one before.
I know there are various flight sims out there for model enthusiasts. You can connect your transmitter to the PC and use that as your joystick. The plane is flown as if you are standing on the ground looking up.
I am nervous about my first RC flight. I think it would be confusing when the controls are backward as the plane flies toward you.
A simulator experience would help me get ready for my first RC flight. I fear crashing the plane, or even losing track of it and not being able to get it back.
Does anybody know of a way to use MSFS in this way?
Thanks for reading this.

Great fun RC, try this: https://www.ikarus.net/en/

1 Like

Grab RealFlight 9.5 from Horizon Hobby. I’ve flown RC for ever but that is what I use over the winter to keep some of the rust off. I’m glad to hear you are worried about your first flight. It is pretty nerve wracking. Just remember, you will crash. Everyone does at some point. Even after 30 years I still do. :slight_smile: And yes, the “coming at you” is the biggest biter for a new pilot. That and indecision when in a panic. There are a couple of tricks you can do to help. One is when it is coming at you, you move the stick in the direction of the wingtip that is lower. Another one I used to teach when I was instructing is that when it is coming at you, turn your body sideways to the plane so you are almost looking over your shoulder at the plane. It tricks your brain into moving the sticks the correct way. Sounds goofy but it really works! What plane is your first flight with? Hopefully not a P51 or EDF jet. LOL! I know how you feel though. I am an advanced fixed wing RC’er but I’m trying to get the hang of helicopters. Every other flight is a crash almost. LOL!! Feel free to PM me if you have any questions and good luck to you! :slight_smile: - Lauren

2 Likes

RC flight sims are great. There are many options with some offering limited use for free. Just google RC flight sims. I could recommend but I mostly fly helis and am not up on the best for planes. Clubs are worth joining and some will offer mentoring in the form of transmitter pairing. Definitely get a sim it will save you hundreds if not thousands in crash costs. I’ve seen nothing in MSFS that come close, as you say RC ailerons are reversed when coming towards you, then of course elevator is reversed when inverted.

2 Likes

LOL I’m just the opposite! But I’m getting there. Nice to meet you Player. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Agree with using Real Flight Sim to build “muscle memory” into your inputs, so you respond automatically when required.

There are a few sims out there but Real Flight is what I use.

As an instructor, I would suggest joining one of the many clubs around, which will provide free coaching on flying and reduce the instance of damaging the model. Instructors can make use of wireless “buddy boxes” these days, that allow them to quickly take control if the model gets into trouble.

All the best.

2 Likes

I agree with this! Find a group and work with them. They will have great wisdom to help you!

If you’re trusting, have someone seasoned fly your plane first, or, find someone with a trainer radio so they can take over if you struggle.

I’ve done RC for over 20 years. I promise you will crash a plane. Just get used to that.

The biggest tip I can give, learn how to get comfortable with the plane flying towards you, left and right are opposite :blush:

2 Likes

@symanthasymcox
The main problem with e.g. Aerofly and RealFlight (at least until a few years ago) is that the stall behavior of all their aircraft is way too docile and occurs at a too high AoA.

This has been discussed in various forums and e.g. RealFlight said that this was intentional so it’s not a too frustrating experience.

IMO this doesn’t make sense, especially if I want to use an RC sim as a learning tool.

So watch out when going low and slow!!!

1 Like