Radeon 7900 XTX reliable driver crash with MSFS and map apps?

So I got stupid and got a 7900 XTX which seems to perform very well, BUT.

But when MSFS has started to the main menu (running at a glorious 500 FPS, Asobo, fix that!) or I’ve loaded into a flight and then try to use Volanta or Navigraph Charts and zoom or drag the map, the driver reliably crashes after at most two seconds (tried both 23.2 versions including the one that was released last night). The same happens when I run the web versions of those applications in Firefox. The same does not happen when I use those apps besides other games, so far it appears that only MSFS triggers that particular case of AMD Kwality Drivers.

Does that happen for anyone else? Or do I have a personal weirdness?

Moved to Community Support-Tech Support for community assistance.

I have exactly the same problem. It always occurs when zooming a map, it doesn’t matter in which tool (Volanta, STKP, Navigraph). The current driver could not solve the problem either. The moment you zoom, the driver crashes and so does MSFS. The problem only occurs with DX11, with DX12 no problem. I also have a 7900XTX.

Having this issue as well. Have reported it to AMD multiple times, I recommend you do so each time it happens as well. I have found that it works with Skyvector no issue, but Volanta, Google Earth/Maps will reliably crash it. Hope to see this fixed soon.

I’ve put in a few reports.

Would be great if Asobo could fix some bugs in their D3D12 implementation too, if they could get that to render terrain properly and maybe not eat VRAM like candy, it’d be a nice workaround.

I have now exhausted the dialogue trees of both the AMD and MSFS support bots; neither went beyond the usual “don’t use this application, that application makes ours crash, reinstall this, reset that, check your hardware, SFC, DISM, and now please reinstall everything!”. Neither bothered to actually read any comments on the reports.

I’m super ■■■■■■ off. Does anyone actually LOOK at the diagnostic information before triggering those copy&paste responses?

Right, now both AMD and MSFS support are pointing at everything that’s not their product (e.g., “[t]here have been cases where Samsung SSD’s have caused issues with the Sim”, alright, I’ll run the 4 hours long extended test even though the hardware seems to be quite fine with everything else…) and I’m at the point of the dialogue tree that’s just “reinstall Windows”. :frowning:
That’s a bad joke. There’s a crash caused by the combination of those two products, it would be nice if someone took ownership.

Had the same problem (with 7900xtx) when i switched to dx11 for tests (i usually fly with dx12) and when i switched back to dx12 the problem disappeared.

1 Like

I wish I’d found this topic before gettng a 7900xt as am experiencing the same issues with Navigaph and Volanta causing a driver error with DX11. It doesn’t happen in DX12 but using that I have the irritation of disappearing ground textures at airports.

1 Like

I’ve got the same problem using the rx 7900xt, went to dx 12, because the disappearing ground texture bug is vetter to handle, than a crashing sim

1 Like

Yes, the latest driver 23.5.1 seems to have fixed it, working so far for me too, one flight completed ok with DX11, Volanta and Navigraph and 7900xt.