Radeon RX6800XT Crash

Not a happy bunny. :rage:
Just splashed out on a RX6800XT (my first ever AMD card) for my i9-9900k rig and FS2020 crashes after only a few minuets flying in 2D.
In VR FPS are low and the games crashes.
My old GTX1060 wasn’t very good for VR but at least it didn’t crash FS2020.
As I’m new to AMD graphics I could have some settings wrong so would welcome any advice (apart from byt a RTX3090 :laughing:)

Did you uninstall all of your Nvidia Drivers?

Yes, I used DDU to make sure.
A few minuets ago I read a suggestion that it may be power related, the card is powered from only 1 PSU outlet, so tomorrow I will power it with 2 seperate feeds and report back.

I also have an 6800xt nitro plus S.E and all is fine.
Make sure to download chipsets along with drivers and the radeon katalyst panel
https://www.amd.com/en/support download the app so it will download also the chipsets which you will SURELY miss something in manual

1 Like

I have downloaded and installed the app so my software is current.
I have had limited improvement after manually adjusting the fan speed but still get crashes so the search goes on :woozy_face:

then something else is wrong cause i have 0 ctds anymore

I think my problem has been solved.
I have just done a 2.5 hour flight in the Justflight Arrow III at 1500 -2000ft without a crash. I did have a couple of black screens for a couple of seconds early in the flight, but no crashes.

I am now running Adrenaline 21.3.1 (I might try 21.3.2 later) and have manually tuned my fans so they hit 100% at arond 90C
I monitored GPU temperatures and the hot spot maxed at 89C, fans at 3056 rpm GPU PPT maxed at 250W

I will enjoy flying in VR for now before “tinkering” again.

Thanks to everyone in various forums who posted their experiences and tips on the issues with the RX6800XT, I have tried most of them.

I hope my experience is of use to others.

My RX6800 is custom water cooled so heat isn’t an issue.

I have a 2080TI/9900k rig, a 3900x/Radeon VII rig and a 5960x(yes getting old)/1080TI rig and all throw heat from the GPUs.

Going from a 1060 (I also have a 1050TI) to a RX 6800XT is a BIG jump in GPU power input and output.

What kind of PC case do you have it in?

Make sure you have plenty of PC case intake AND outflow to keep the components cool.

Also make sure your PSU is sufficient. You are drawing MUCH more power from a 9900k/RX6800XT combo than a 9900k/1060 combo.

:joy: sorry but how is a problem solved when you have black screens ?

I said “I think it’s solved” The black screen only happened twice and only for a few seconds but the sim didn’t crash. Previously it would crash every flight and I could never do a flight longer than 20 minutes.

Case is a Phantek Eclipse P400 4 inlet fans, 1 exhaust.

PSU is a Corsair 850W

Monitoring with HWInfo the RX6800XT maximum power draw is 250W

Well
don’t think,cause it’s not solved if you have b.screens
BTW sometimes even the 3rd party addons can cause that

if you no longer have crashes Sakisappolon what is your setup?

nothing extraordinary.
6800xt nitro plus special edition
cpu 2700 ryzen
32gigs DDR4
1Tera nvme Kingston
850psu
4k Monitor

The AMD driver currently supports the
MSFS not !!!
Kick the MSFS out of Adrenalin!

So youre blaming AMD for mfs not showing up on the adrenalin profile right ? Let me ask you a question: Was the profile there before ? And if it was 
 when did you notice it was missing?

Ill let you in on a little hint. I already know the answer to those questions and in this scenario i cant see how this is AMD’s fault. But ill wait for you to respond.

Sorry but that doesn’t really help me.
What are yor graphics settings in FS2020, what render scale and have you changed anything in the Adernaline software?

Are you still getting driver timeouts or crashes ? Or just the occasional black screen ?

all ultra at 1440p with 120 render scaling.
I only change the fans speed and temps

I had the MSFS in the “Radeon Adrenalin Software” from the start, there under the games I tried the various settings.
The result was always a crash in the desktop (CiD)!
Only when I downloaded the MSFS from the “Radeon Adrenalin Software” as a
Game removed, the CiD have completely disappeared.
The graphic settings are now made exclusively
in the options of MSFS.
I think the MSFS and the Radeon Adrenalin software do not get along!

1 Like