Radical change of course for product development

Had an awesome flight last night from CYVR to CYDQ in the Baron. Weather was clear with 20 knot winds out of YVR. Wind picked up to 40-50 knots as I headed north. Ran into some rain squalls and heavy overcast as I headed north into a cold front coming in from Alaska. (IRL, they got snow just east of my route)

Started picking up some very light turbulence as soon as I headed over the mountains just north of YVR, The intensity continued to increase all the way way home. I had to hand fly the stretch from CYXS to CYDQ as the AP was trying too hard to maintain altitude and as such was bouncing me between 200 knots and 100 knots with 1500 fpm adjustments. Once I took over I was using about 500 feet of airspace battling the up/down drafts. Wished I had recorded the last 20 minutes. Black, windy, rain squalls and a 400 ft ceiling on approach. Shut down at the ramp and actually had to remind myself to breathe. :slight_smile:
Here was a clip I grabbed just to record some of the cloud early in the flight. You can clearly see the light turbulence at this point.

4 Likes