Ran the Got Gravel Vertigo uninstaller. It wiped my Community folder

I was going to install the Got Gravel Vertigo 2.0 update. I ran the Vertigo uninstaller in the Community folder. It wiped out everything in the folder.

Unexpected.

I launched the sim and it’s making me reinstall. I changed the install path to the bigger drive D:\MSFS_Packages.

I’ll have to research what to do with the old default install folder at:

C:\Users%Username%\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages\

I think I’ve read that it shouldn’t be deleted, even if you reinstall the sim to another drive. Something about aliases…

Symbolic links? … I hear that empty or duplicate folders are an OCD sufferer’s worst nightmare but I guess in this case they are necessary.

Nope.
Open folder official > onestore
delete all files and folders

Thanks. That folder is already empty.
Maybe the phantom uninstaller deleted everything in that folder as well, and that’s why MSFS automatically required a reinstall when I launched it.

Why would you use an uninstaller in the first place? Just delete the corresponding add-on (i.e. it’s subdirectory folder) in the community folder, than reinstall the add-on.

That is a really straight forward process, imo best done manually.

1 Like

I normally do simply move the add-on into the ‘Packages’ folder and delete it from there once the new version is confirmed to work. Not allowed to simply delete a mod from the ‘Community’ folder - I have to move it first. (Yes, I know there are programs that will delete encrypted files. I haven’t needed them yet.)

In my decades of computer use, whenever I see that a program has its own specific uninstaller, I use it, mostly because Windows uninstaller is not perfect. It’s an old habit.

Anyway, everything is back as it should be. The sim is running well, and all my add-ons are loaded. I didn’t need to bother with a symbolic link. Pointing the installer to my D: drive put the correct path into the useropt.cfg file.

BTW - Got Gravel states that they’ve never included an uninstaller with any of their mod packages.
So either the folks at flightsim.to added it when they hosted their mods (they no longer do) or I’m suffering from late-onset dyslexia or oxygen deprivation.

Before a major sim update it is very good practice to uninstall, not just delete any apps that came with an installer but I recommend this be done through the windows settings/apps menu, if it doesn’t show then it’s unlikely to be a problem. However occasionally there are mods that require you to place files in the official folder manually and these can only be deleted manually so it’s best to always keep a note of them.

Personal Comments and Observations

GotGravel Vertigo 2.02 doesn’t have an installer or uninstaller. Like most Mods, you unpack the folder and drop it into Community. Where did you get it from?

As I stated above, the dev insists they don’t include an uninstaller in their package. I believe them.
I have no idea where it came from…I simply saw it in the Community folder as I was preparing to install the latest version of the GG Vertigo.

I have considered the remote possibility that flightsim.to (who used to host the package before GG left their site) may have included it. I’m certainly not saying that, if they did, that it was for vindictive reasons (which would be beyond the pale.) But the result of running it was certainly destructive.

As I also paraphrased above… I believe I saw the words “Vertigo” and “Uninstaller” in the filename. It is entirely possible, though equally unlikely, that I misread the filename.

…too much flying above FL 100 without oxygen switched on? :rofl:

Anyways: good to hear all is well now.
Happy flying!

1 Like

I note the latest version has a pressurized cockpit. Hypoxia should not be a problem in future. :grin:

1 Like

I thought, “Maybe I’m missing an important step in the pre-flight checklist.”

• Cabin Oxygen Switch to ON

:crazy_face: