Random FPS drops in completely unremarkable locations

Just watching the developer live stream and Asobo are aware of the FPS dropping issue and are working behind the scenes on it. Jorg says there will possibly be a hot fix and it is caused by 2 known bugs.

Discussed from 1 hr 14 mins - 1 hr 20 mins:

1 Like

This brings up the usual question of how such an broadly impacted bug on basic performance can get through QA. Is there QA? Iā€™d really like to see the testing scripts they are using.

Iā€™m at a point I never thought Iā€™d be atā€¦stop all the new fancy stuff until you have the base game fixed and running as it should be.

2 Likes

Seems to be that if it isnā€™t broken they will keep fixing things until it isā€¦the thing is unusable for me on both a 4K monitor and a 144mhz high quality gaming monitor. At one time it dropped to 12 FPS on the gaming monitor before the thing just crashed and burned. Tried three different plane modules; same thing with all threeā€“787, 747, Longitude.

1 Like

Memory leak or runaway process from poorly written code in update 1.14.5.0. Iā€™m running MSFS2020 on i9-10900K @ 3.7GHz, RTX 3090, 64Gb DRAM. After the update, FPS in specific areas (reproducible) dropped from 60s to 5-10 regardless of altitude, aircraft, etc. Nothing else changed. My buttery-smooth jewel of flight sims is now completely unplayable. Itā€™s not the graphics driver, itā€™s not the OSā€¦itā€™s MSFS. And I REFUSE to lower my graphical settings to try to fix something that was working perfectly before on my $7,000 rig. Itā€™s back to X-plane 11 & P3D for me. I can only hope that 3rd party retailers will pressure ASOBO to fix this ASAP because I will NOT be spending any more of my money in their stores on mods, addons, aircraft, scenery etc until it is rectified. Iā€™m done.

1 Like

Try analogue instrument planesā€¦ apparently all the glass cockpit planes are affected by the new update

Happens also in steam gauge aircraft. As stated many times before, it happens regardless of aircraft.

For me I have not observed it with C172 or C152 so farā€¦ even I go to highly detailed sceneries areas and I have good FPS. Only when fly A320 it is actually okay until it drops down to 10 and then goes back up after a while.
Funny enough when it drops it my CPU utilization also dropsā€¦ When I get higher FPS CPU utilization goes up fullā€¦

also having major fps drops to sub 20 even 10 with a RTX 3070 & 10700k / 32GB RAM

I hear u, it miffed me last night I flew x plane for the first time basically since August 2020 - man that move to vulkan tho the frame rate gain is rediculous

After this new msfs patch I am getting 15ish fps over open ocean, prior getting 35-45 over cities. Dying for a hotfix

1 Like

I really canā€™t think of much thatā€™s worked consistently since release. One problem after another. Iā€™m sure this will be a great sim in a year, but this is getting so irritating. You can never go from week to week without knowing what kind of glitch is going to pop up next. As much as I love the weather and lighting in this sim, I miss the fundamentals that work just fine in the other ones.

gotta admit X-plane runs 60fps locked smooth for me, but granted their graphics isnā€™t as advanced as msfs.
but we shouldnā€™t get such massive amount of stutters with high-end rigs and dips under 30fps which makes simming kinda hard.

Thatā€™s the heartbreaking part - the one and only reason to use msfs was the presentation, and the fact they combined a performance loss (for what seems a large amount of the userbase) with the vegetation draw decrease, I basically ran out of reasons to use this until they fix it , even though itā€™s been out since August of last year!

1 Like

Last week I identified the memory leak causing the FPS to crater. I opened a ticket with Zendesk and gave them all the information about the memory leak. The ticket is still open. Asobo definitely knows about this problem.

Please make sure you vote for this in the bugs section. With the number of people complaining Iā€™m surprised the vote count is still where it is.

I am experiencing the same issueā€¦

Flying along at 58 to 60fps then down to 17fps for about 30 seconds or so. Nothing going on in the scenery world as a step change in loading some big city or aspects like that. This is new since the last updateā€¦

I7 9700K
GTX 3080 (ASUS)
32gb of DDR4 3200mhz

I been having this as well, 8700K 32gb RTX 3090, happly cruising at around 45 to 50 FPS on ultra, then suddenly it drops to 8-10 fps, GPUS usage drops to aroud 5 to 10%, after a few minutes sometimes it goes back to normal but not always, driving me craszy

Having the same issue is small GA aircraft on a 3080 system. Literally cannot use the sim at the moment as a result.

I have the same issue in LYTV.
Main Thread is suddenly very slow, even with latest patch 1.14.6.0.

Update: New finding: The issue depends on Hyperthreading (100% reproducible at me):
At LYTV, clear sky, 12 UTC
Hyperthreading=Enabled ā†’ MainThread=42ms(A32NX),=32ms(DV20)
Hyperthreading=Disabled ā†’ MainThread=29ms(A32NX),=22ms(DV20)
Hopefully this is just a bug that can/will be fixed. I want to keep Hyperthreading enabled.

The 1.14.6.0 patch has fixed the FPS drops in unremarkable locations issue for me thankfully!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.