Random FPS drops in completely unremarkable locations

I noticed on several flights that sometimes I get a hit on performance and I have no idea why. For example, LYTV - I have no mods, addon airports, or anything for that area. Nothing even close. I get 50-60 FPS in GA airplanes even on payware airports (ok, not EGGL :slight_smile: ) in pretty much all of GA airplanes, even Carenado ones, yet on LYTV I get around 45, similar to what I get at default KLAS! That’s nuts. I’m trying to figure out, what’s the catch. I did go through the settings but I wasn’t able to determine one setting that would cause this. Maybe it’s the combination, IDK, I’d like to determine what causes the FPS drop in this and similar areas. If somebody has 5 minutes, can you load on LYTV (I used Carenado Mooney but the drop is noticeable even in default airplanes) and check what’s your performance there compared to some other areas where you know you get good performance. Do you also experience the drop there and do you have any ideas what could be the cause?

I visited LYTV recently with the A32nx and didn’t notice any issue. Wasn’t monitoring the FPS but when my system suffers it’s quite obvious, so I guess it was okay. Could it be you’re experiencing this:?

Just curious… if you compare your FPS between LYTV and KLAS… is it a big difference or similar?

This is happening on almost every second flight. I have another example. Go to 4J8 and take off from RWY 34. When taking off I have like 40 FPS and about 30 seconds after takeoff I get a solid 60 FPS. If I turn around and head back towards the airport the FPS drops again. The thing is whatever setting I change it has no effect on FPS. Also, the location is completely unremarkable, nothing that could eat 20 FPS in a second is there - or at least not to my knowledge. I’m not talking only about this specific location, it’s just an example you can try for yourself, as I said I’m getting this on completely random flights all over the world and I have no idea what in the world can cause the FPS to drop for 20 FPS in an instant without any good reason - and it’s repeatable every time. If I’d only know what’s causing this. Why do I get the same FPS in the middle of nowhere as I get on KLAS for example? There must be a reason.

It looks like this: https://photos.app.goo.gl/aykQCy9T3MjCFATn7

i7-10900k@5GHz, RTX2080Ti

Happened to me today for the first time just after updating to version 1.14.5.0.

In the middle of the NZ back country, had been flying for approximately 30 minutes, no large autogen cities of graphic intensive 3D modelling anywhere near by and the FPS dropped down to 18-20 for about 1 minute, then bounced back again. Carried on flying for another 30 minutes and it did not repeat.

The thing is if I restart MSFS and go to the exact locations this is happening, it happens again. In can replicate it every time. The drop is substantial and the scenery is never anything special, no big cities, airports, anything and when it drops I get similar FPS than in the middle of Las Vegas on a huge international airport.

1 Like

Happened to me today for the first time, I have never experience any fps dropps like this before this patch.

I have nothing in the Community folder, my computer is about 2 weeks old with a fresh install of Windows and MSFS. I can reproduce the drop every time. It’s not just happening in the mentioned places, those are just examples from the moment I got fed up and came here to complain. I experience this almost every day on completely random flights all over the world. So, MSFS, it’s not me, it’s you :wink:

I find the FPS swings from 25 to 40 in teh same area, but no matter what it is, there is a total lack of smoothness. So chunky now it has become unflyable.

Exactly!
Well, there must be a reason for this.

If the reproduction rate is 100% I’d say it’s a very good example for a bug report. Did you report it on Zendesk?

Found that the Nvidia driver version makes no difference. I wondered if the problem might be linked to some new generic building type or vegetation type. I always get a significant performance drop in one area, near a city and once outside that area things are back to normal. And we are talking about a fluctuating 50% drop. I’ll report it to zendesk.

This is interesting, I had exactly the same problem - on several flights for some reason my frames would drop by about 50% - I checked and found some windows processes were taking up a massive amount of CPU capacity, checked that they were ok to stop , did so and all was fine again. Its just worth checking what’s going on in the background.

1 Like

Which process?

I knew you were going to ask that lol … for the life of me I cant remember, I know it was something to do with antivirus … windows defender or something like that. It was second on the list of processes, worth having a look at next time it happens.

Just to add my frustrations to the pile…

I have a benchmark flight I run after every update. Beverly Regional Airport to Hanscom Field in Bedford, MA. I run on Ultra with a few minor High-end settings. I have FPS locked at 30 for smoothness. I have an MSI GT76 w/ i9-10900K, 64Gb RAM, and a 2080 Super. CPU and GPU are desktop chipsets with no thermal throttling.

Before the last update, I went from a steady 30 fps no matter where or what, to 15 fps that stutters and freezes periodically. I am about to uninstall abd go back to X-Plane. Unless someone can tell me what I am doing wrong. I changed nothing in settings, no new drivers, no Windows updates. What the hell is going on at Asosbo?

btw, I submitted a ticket. Based on previous experience, my expectations are low.

1 Like

Also, I tried Ultra, High-end, and low settings on graphics. Only minor improvements. A longer flight had FPS in ultra dropping into single digits at times and a lot of flickering of terrain. I’m beginning to suspect server overload. I’m going to turn data off and see what happens.

I tried it again and in my case, I didn’t see any process taking a massive amount of CPU (except MSFS of course :smiley:). I also don’t use Windows defender and I get the same thing if I disable my antivirus (Nod32).
I tried it 5 times already, always the same result. If I take off from 4J8 rwy 34, after not even a minute I gain 20 FPS, which is huge. If I turn around, at the exact location I gained it, I lose it again. As I said before, this is just one of many examples of the issue but it’s easy to try because it only takes a minute. On many occasions, it happens mid-flight. I guess I should report it on Zendesk.

Yes, turning down the settings doesn’t do much.

As a test, I reflew the same flight that the issue occurred for me with the same aircraft/weather/time and the the FPS drop happen at the exact same place too! I went from a steady 60fps down to 18-26fps for a period of around 1 minute again, along with a spike in CPU temperature from low 60’s to 72 degrees!

Before:

After:

1 Like