Rant: Please, please fix MSFS for Quest 2 already

I now tried for more than an hour to actually start flying, but it’s just one of those days when it decides to not want to. 1-2 FPS, crash, input lag of like 3 seconds. Link Cable, Air Link, with ODT, with OTT no matter what. I really have enough of this sh… When it works it’s great, but we really need it to work consistently, not just on every other day. Start the game, connect the VR headset and…Fly! Not reconnect and disconnect it a dozen times, reboot, try different settings even though that same settings worked the day before. It’s FRUSTRATING! And not understandable. Why do we have to disable ASW even one year after the VR update? It’s supposed to make the experience better, not worse. I give it up for today.

/rant

4 Likes

Hi,I had massive issues with my quest 2 and i will try to help.

Not sure about your specs, i run a 12600kf with a 2080ti and 16g of ram.

Windows:
-First make sure you are on win 19044
-Game mode and hags ➠off
-power plan ➠ Maximum performances

Nvidia:
-Update the drivers to latest or previous using DDU with safe mode .
-Nvidia control Panel / 3d Settings / maximum performances and i leave the rest on default.

Now the part that worked for me and did not do before contacting Oculus.

-Disconnect every usb device a part for keyboard and mouse
-Disconnect from internet.
-Boot in safe mode (Msconfig/boot/safe mode) and uninstall Oculus as well as OTT9Oculus mentioned could create conflict.)
-Check for Any Oculus folder and remove it ( Appdata / Document or any location you might have).
Restart in normal mode (Ms config/Boot/Normal mode/restart)

I run it in 72htz mode at 1.0 in Oculus non beta ASW auto (i prefer bon beta) 100 scale in game and 80 for lod and obj details.
Link and Air Link both fine ( I prefer Link, less compression).

The rest will depend on your system really but hope it helps

Instructions where given to me by Oculus support but did not mention any specific game.
Since this i can fly on DCS and MSFS with a really good experience.

Just to stay on safe side, remove MSHS module from community folder.

Been asked by support to remove MSI Afterburner as well but tried it since and not issues so far.

Let me know how it goes, worth a try.

5 Likes

This really worked a treat for me. I have followed too many guides I think and have so many conflicting tweaks.

Also set everything in game to default, it runs so much better. Very smooth, also I tried settin ASW to automatic.

Now I am starting to tweak again ofc :joy:

2 Likes

OK, I’m on the same ship. it all just exploded and I cannot get respectable performance where it was fine a month ago.

I notice that when using VR, on the monitor I get perfectly rendered fish eye views running at acceptable frae rate and detail and that the CPU and Graphics card are perfectly comfortable, so I can see the problem isn’t the PC running out of grunt. The problem must therefore be the link.

What you right above, I think, makes sense. There’s something gone awry with the USB drivers / software and it sounds like they know what it is or at least how to fix. I’ll try that and give it a go and report back tomorrow.

2 Likes

@Player327920452 more tweaking always!!! :laughing:
Just try and let us know how it goes on your side @MaxQ3085

Can you explain what OTT9Oculus please?

And when you mention to remove any Oculus folders, are you meaning to uninstall the Oculus Windows app too?

Cheers

1 Like

Sorry for the late reply.
Yes, i mean in Windows, uninstal the Oculus software as well as every folder ( safe mode and disconect from internet)
OTT is Oculus Tray Tool, very good app but Oculus Support mentioned it could create conflict when updating Oculus software.

I’ve use OTT for +3 years with all Oculus headsets and never had it interfere with any Oculus software updates. Maybe just avoid using some global game settings like ‘oculus homeless’. This is not necessary anymore since you can switch this off at the bottom of the Oculus desktop app settings/general tab anyway. That’s the only one I can see may be a conflict with Oculus updates imho.

And so did i but this is not about yours or my personal experience, i have just posted Oculus support instruccions, nobody said not to instal it after.
It can, in some cases create a conflict.i did reinstal it and it works fine.

Sam (Oculus Support)

Nov 22, 2021, 22:44 PST

Hello Jean,

Thank you for following up with the requested Oculus log files. I appreciate the efforts you’ve put into this. I understand that the provided troubleshooting steps has been performed however to no avail. I’ll be happy to assist you further.

So that we can look into this further, kindly manually uninstall your Oculus application.

1. Disconnect your computer from the internet.
  2. Backup any necessary content.
  1. Reboot into Safe Mode.
  2. Uninstall Oculus Home using the Control Panel.
  3. Delete all Oculus folders from the following folder:
  • C:\Program Files
  1. Remove any Oculus folders from the following locations:
  • C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData
  • C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData\Local
  • C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData\LocalLow
  • C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData\Roaming
  • C:\OculusSetup-DownloadCache
  1. Restart your computer in normal mode.
  2. Reconnect your computer to the internet.
  3. Install Oculus Home again using the setup tool from our website here.
  • Aside from this, kindly check your cables as well for any frays, twists, bents, or kinks.
  • Have you tried to use another USB 3.0?
  • Please be advised that your Oculus Tray Tool as well as your MSI Afterburner is currently running. Please temporarily disable or uninstall these third party softwares for troubleshooting purposes which can modify the graphics or settings of your experience as these programs can cause conflicts that effect performance and display.
  • I also noticed that your Public Test Channel is disabled. Please enable the Public Test Channel by visiting our Oculus Support article right here for more information.
  • You may try to visit our Oculus support article which documents all of the best practices and known issues via Oculus Air Link right here.
  • With that being said, you may also click this link for additional information regarding the connection of the Oculus Quest 2 to your PC with Oculus Air Link.
  • For further reference, please read our public document about connecting your Oculus Quest 2 to a secure Wi-Fi Network for Oculus Air Link right here.
4 Likes

Ya, all part and parcel of the Oculus Support troubleshooting process I guess. I’m surprised they don’t also tell you to reinstall Windows, lol!

1 Like

I think this is because i told them i already tried with 3 different Windows :joy:

1 Like

Did you try restarting the headset? I’ve had similar problems while using Virtual Desktop where it ran fine the day before and then it suddenly had lots of input lag and stuttering for days on end. I finally discovered that restarting the Quest 2 itself solved the problem (which I actually never did before).

1 Like

Very good point!!

Sorry, I hate it when people don’t report back. Yes, I did exactly this, scrapped the tray tool blitzed the oculus app and started everything from defaults.

The problem remained - so that means its not 3rd party, its not the defaults being changed by something.

However, I did have some success. I found that by turning on pre-caching to ultra I got some improvement but then I noticed if you deliberately then crash your plane and then hit restart [i.e. same plane, and scenario] then suddenly and reliably it works perfectly. No stuttering at all.
In fact, I can then increase the sliders, detail etc and it works pretty good until I actually run out of grunt.

I have tried this exact thing last few days and it works every time. Its definitely a bug introduced between SU5 and SU7.
So take off and crash or in a tail dragger tip it on its nose then hit restart and you’ll see its silky smooth then. I have flown a few hours away so its not just the local area being cached thats helping it works fine.

Now, I’m just p1ssed that the mouse interaction in VR is broken and I have to hit ctrl-0 to click on anything thats now really starting to annoy me. Because I have to lift up the headset and I wear glasses so the whole thing is a pain. I think I should just make a prescription oculus.

3 Likes

‘Prescription Oculus’ - If you mean obtain a set of prescription len’s then do it, best thing I did following the months of the same frustration you refer too:-)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.