RayTrace Entry in user.cfg ?!

Can anyone please share their thoughts on this entry found in my user.cfg ? Raytraced shadows…:thinking:should be 0? (Disabled)

Hi @bodyspike,
What GPU do you have and what graphic setting in MSFS are you using? And have you made any adjustments in the graphic sliders? Have you used developer mode?

I think that is the contact shadows setting. It is NOT RTX. The setting has been there since I got MSFS in Sept 2020.

Its an RTX3080… using custom settings high to ultra. I am using developer mode to keep an eye on FPS and other stuff

Ok that’s easily checked… will do and report back

I confirm it. It has to do with the contact shadows setting found ingame…

1 Like

Can you share what difference, if any, that you notice when enabling it? Also, when enabled, did you notice a degradation in performance? Did you form an opinion on whether or not is is of any benefit to enable it?

Thanks.

On my 3080, only Ultra made any meaningful difference, like 2-3FPS, that was on ground though at 12pm, it might be worse during sunset/sunrise in mountainous terrain.

I just left it on high.

Is it worth enabling? I guess what I am saying is did it make the game look better?

It enables/disables contact shadows setting that can be found ingame. No optical deference that I can notice so decided to leave it disabled.

It enables/disables contact shadows setting that can be found ingame. No optical deference that I can notice so decided to leave it disabled.

OK, thanks

1 Like

Those SS in front means screen space. It is already implemented on ultra reflections. The glass reflect objects that are on screen space. This differs to DXR implementation in which it also reflect object outside of screen space.

I had reflections set to Ultra but these lines in user cfg were disabled. It has to do only with contact shadow setting…

Oh, still screen space though no off screen shadows. You can actually see what is ray traced and what is not. Ray traced graphic tends to be noisy since in real time ray tracing you can only use so much sample per pixel. It have kind of distinct grainy looks to it.

The whole sim is grainy… from clouds to reflections and even the buildings. So what do you say that fs2020 has the foundation to leverage RT?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.