Re-install OS or just MSFS?

Currently my Windows10 O/S and MSFS are installed on a 250gb SSD (getting very cramped).

Looking to buy a 500gb or 1tb M.2 drive for my new motherboard ( MSI B5550)

Once installed, should I:
A) Uninstall and re-install just MSFS on the new drive
B) Uninstall / Move both the OS and MSFS on the new drive
C) Just move the O/S to the new drive and leave MSFS on the SSD with the extra space.

Don’t won’t to make extra wo0rk for myself if there is going to make minimal difference in the end.

I would transfer OS and MSFS to m.2. The OS would start faster (if you cares about it) and will not occupy too much space. Also, the MSFS would have more space for the next 10 years of updates and addons.
All the other programs and app should be installed at your ssd.
But if you choose the 500gb m.2, I would let the OS at SSD.
Keep in mind that, maybe, if you buy a SSD with integrated RAM, you could buy more space with less money compared to m.2

Keep the OS on the 250 and put MSFS on the M.2. The difference between a SATA SSD and an M.2 SSD isn’t going to be worth taking up the space on the M.2 with Win10 when the usage case for a 250 is as limited as it is.

I was in your same situation. I got a 1tb m.2 drive put OS and MSFS as well as everything that runs with msfs 3 rd party add ons ,on this drive only. Everything else on different drive not MSFS related . I noticed improvements in performance

I would clone your current SSD to your new drive. I like CloneZilla because its open source (and thus free) and is fully featured. However the UI is not the greatest, especially for less experienced PC users.

I’m assuming that your current SSD is SATA and not NVMe?

Restore your backup to your new, super fast 1 TB NvMe. That is the easiest way and you will have your current OS and MSFS safely out of the computer when you execute your restore. Your performance for everything will be much better. I assumed that you have a full image backup, if not, why not ? That should be the FIRST thing you do, have a full disk image backup.

2 Likes

I agree with this post. But here is my layout.

Use Win 10 Disk Management to create 3 disks on the 1TB SSD.
c: = 100 GB
d: = 400 GB
e: = rest oft the 1 TB

Install Win 10 only on the C: drive as a clean install.
Via: Create installation media for Windows

Install FS2020 on the D: drive and other related file.
Install other programs on the E: drive.

My disk Management:

I have MS 10 on C:. I can reinstall it if needed.
Or restore a backup of it.

I have FS 2020 on D:. And related FS2020 files.
I have other programs on F:.
G: unused.
Other misc files on H:.

Note:
C: and D: are on a Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500 GB NVMe M.2 SSD.
F:, G:, and H: are on a 1TB Intel 665p NVMe M.2 SSD.

I have all 5 drives backed up and can restore each individually.

may I format C: drive, if my MSFS 2020 Installation is at D: drive without needing a reinstall all the game? my version is from the MS Store, thanks for your time.

If you’re OS is working correctly I wouldn’t touch it. Just move the MSFS content files (the 100+ GB that are downloaded in-game) to the new drive. The game will ask for the new location after you start it. I have moved the MSFS files a few times and it works perfectly fine.

Don’t touch the part downloaded from the Store, but it’s just a few GB so it doesn’t matter.

If c is your system drive then you will need to download it again from the store. But that’s just a few GB. The 100-150GB you have on the D drive you don’t need to touch. Just point the game to that folder when it first runs.

thanks for the answer: No, my OS is not working well, but my MSFS installation is on D: drive along with the files created by the store installer, thanks for your advice

FS2020 is located on C:

Don’t format it if you want to keep FS2020 working.
FS2020 on D: is okay.

You can format C: and then install Win 10 on it. Create new Win 10 USB.

Then go to the MS Store and have it Install FS2020 again.
It will install FS2020 on your C: drive.
MS Store will see you FS2020 data on your D: drive and will not
download it again.

Scroll down this page to find the Media Creation Tool for a USB thumb drive.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10

that´s the explanation I was needed, thank you so much

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.