Re-installing DVD version on new Windows install

Well you must have installed it somewhere else maybe by accident. So you will either have to search your PC for that folder and point the Powershell command to to wherever that folder is. Or if it was me I would remove it completely and reinstall it from scratch making sure I accepted the default locations when installing.

Incidently what happens when you run MSFS from Windows Store using the Launch button

I think itā€™ll just be easier to just install directly from the Microsoft Store or Steam. :man_shrugging:t2:
Overtime, the DVD version will become so outdated as more and more updates gets introduced in the future.

In the end, you can do DVD swapping to install all 10 DVDs, only for you to redownload 190 GB of Updates after youā€™re done. Which is technically the whole game anyway, that you can just go ahead and straight download the 190 GB through the Store, and skip the whole DVD installation.

1 Like

@Player532611505,
THANKS for your help!

I will try it.

@Neo4316,
THANKS for your info.

If I install directly from the Microsoft Store or Steam, must I pay it again?

Well thatā€™s the thing to check. Ideally, the serial number that you have redeemed when installing the DVD version the first time should be locked onto your Microsoft Account.

So check in the Microsoft Store for MSFS using the same account, if you have it already set to Owned, then you should be able to download the app without needing to pay for it againā€¦ But just like in my previous posts. Iā€™m just guessing here.

@Neo4316,

THANKS for your help!

I will try it.

@Neo4316ļ¼Œ@Player532611505

Thank you very much for your enthusiastic help and support.

Neo4316: you are right ! I have registered an account in the Microsoft Store with MSFS DVD, so I downloaded the update file from the Internet. Now, MSFS is fully restored and everything is working normally.

Thank you again for your great support.

Dengxie

MODERATOR EDIT: This post merged into this topic.

Hi guys,

needed to install Win10 and MSFS2020 again. I decided to install MSFS2020 on a different drive. I also installed the launcher and it points to the packagesā€™ path on my new game drive location.

BUT: When I start the launcher & the update search has finished the desired packages location is already in there. So far so good. But it also tell me that I need to download 120GB again.

idea 1: It only wants to download the necessary update of about 25 GB and is indexing the rest
idea 2: It really wants to download the entire title again.

Where is the problem?

Thanks,
LH067U

Hi @DLH067U,
Iā€™ve moved your post into an existing topic for better exposure. The topic is about a new Windows install but a new drive is the same as long as you uninstalled first.

Could you please tell me how to do DVD swapping to install all 10 DVDs?? Many thanks.