Real World Pilots, please state your feedback about the flight model

I read your previous post after commenting, my bad. Don’t have the 787 in my package, thought it was a little too much money for a bunch more single engine piston aircraft and a 787 :joy:. Hope its better than the A320, that thing is joke in the current state…

Just out of curiosity, the autopilot is usually disconnected before the Approach Minimums, around 200ft for ILS and 400-500ft for GNSS approaches. And the A320 auto thrust is usually disconnected on the flare. It cuts off automatically when you bring all levers to idle.

IRL most pilots usually disconnect the AP at ~1000ft AGL to get a feel for the aircraft and the final phase of the approach.
If you fly the approach on the A320 with auto thrust (which I almost never did IRL), you don’t separately disconnect it, you disenage it by pulling the thrust levers to idle.

Having flown in the 152A Aerobat specifically and from light aircraft generally. The flight model is great but it completely breaks down below stall speed, especially with spin dynamics. I’ve found the most realistic stalling aircraft is the Shock Ultra. I would have loved to see some of the flight dynamics around mushy controls and spins getting locked in without stick input instead of devolving into spiral dives. As an experiment I completely stalled the Xcub at about 400 feet and was able to fly it back down to the runway fully stalled. I use the most advanced flight realism mode. The ailerons shouldn’t work in most aircraft at low speeds but they always do. Another symptom of the poor understanding of low speed dynamics is that the airspeed indicator should read that you are below stall speed in every stall, even at higher speeds because the pitot tube rotates with the wing around the centre of gravity. It doesn’t.

Thermals! I’m surprised they don’t have them, since they basically said they need to be there to model the weather.

1 Like

That’s new to me. I don’t think that any aircraft would be certified if the ailerons wouldn’t work at low speed.

Don’t understand what you are trying to say with the pitot tube and the CG.

It would not surprise me if a significant percentage of even experienced pilots could not explain the principles of lift.

This is why it is important that titles and even experience do not on their own make it an informed post.

Really? How lift is created was one of the first things I was ever taught in flight school, and I’ve had to explain it on several progress checks.

Some pilots not all lol

ground effect seems too powerful, i am at stall and it just wants to float down the runway forever or worse balloon back up… in real life i can drag a plane up on the prop, right at stall and when i want to touch down I kill the power and the plane quits flying. excellent for very short field landings… in flight sim you do the same thing and when you kill the power the aircraft floats 400’ down the runway.
jmo

2 Likes

I felt the same thing. It could also be a mix thing, since when you lean for power above 3000 ft it is much better, i.e. much better performance above 3000ft if compared to sea level, hehe

1 Like

Dude you have absolutely no idea what your talking about. Makes me wonder who let you behind the controls of an aircraft.

Are you referring to the joke about Ryanair

Then you are doing something wrong, I have been able to take-off within 10 m of what is stated in those performance tables using an airport at SL, 10C, 1013, no wind, one notch of flaps, 2550 lbs, full power before brake release without leaning. If you end up with double the take-off roll you are doing something wrong.

1 Like

You said “significant percentage”, now it is “some pilots”, continuing this trend all pilots know the principles of lift within your next post :+1::wink:

1 Like

If you have actually flown the C152 you would know the Cessna 152 (& 172) won’t “lock” into a spin, you need to keep giving control input, let go of the controls and the aircraft will recover, thats what they have been designed for. Most GA aircraft have a greater directional stability compared to roll stability making them “spiral unstable”, meaning they are more prone to end up in a spiral dive than ending up into a spin.

Are you talking about aileron effectiveness at low / stall speeds? Ailerons themselves will still continue to work obviously. This is depending on the wing design really, most GA aircraft wings are designed to stall at the wing root first, maintaing aileron effectiveness and minimizing wing drop. This is done by giving the wing different chamber from root to tip or a different angle of incidence (wash-out) other options include equipping the leading edge of the wing with “stall strips”.

No clue what you are trying to say regarding the pitot tube / airspeed reading problem. On most GA aircraft the pitot tube(s) are mounted below the wing mostly unaffected by the aircraft angle of attack or turbulent airflow from the top of the wing. On airliners the indicated airspeed is already converted into calibrated airspeed and equivalent airspeed before being presented to the crew, correcting for any misreading occuring at high angles of attack.

In short, angle of attack should not have any significant effect on airspeed readings. The only thing which does in real life affect airspeed readings is side-slipping, give that a try.

3 Likes

Come on people, nobody else sees how this is feasible? And this is just one example. I highly doubt the issue is specific to one or even a handful of airlines or regions. This is just one place where they saw warning signs and pulled back the curtain to look closer.

Are you implying that in the civilized world also 30% of pilots have fake licenses? Yes in China and middle-east its known to exist…

Do we need to keep digging? lol

This was in California, entrusted with transporting one of the most important celebs of all time.

1 Like

So in this case the pilot was actually qualified but the company wasn’t? Not a strong example to try and proof your point. I’m not saying it’s not happening at all, but you are implying its happening on a grand scale and most pilots are not qualified and don’t know what they are talking about. There are rotten apples in each and every industry, including aviation.

1 Like