Real World Pilots, please state your feedback about the flight model

C152 yaw is way to sentitive on the takeoff run.
My C152 does not have a stearable nose wheel. I can only steer very limited IRL with the pedals. In sim there is too much action. IRL you got to use the brakes much more than in sim

3 Likes

It is not necessary to fly real aircraft in order to judge flight models! ANYONE can do it even smart people can do it. Pick a sim plane and go look up real world flight table/ performance data and check for yourself, It is not perfect and it is hard to check everything ie: roll rate without knowing or controlling the exact degrees of deflection of control surfaces, but you can tune your controllers and get this close too. (40 degrees of aileron roll on yoke should yield x amount of roll rate per minute) Without any kind of real g-force feedback a real world pilot can’t tell you anything other than “does it match performance tables ?” Its NOT magical it is science! I can safely tell you that the 5 or 6 models I have been testing for months are NOT even close, don’t even need to check the others! Comparing real world flight experience to a simulation without accurate g forces is like describing music by dancing…

4 Likes

Try this yourself find a real world 172 pilot put em in the sim blindfold them on the runway ready for take off, firewall the throttle and ask em if takeoff thrust is accurate! and that is the end of the usefulness of using a rw pilot to compare to a sim…

Another fun fact: The multi million dollar full motion sims the big boys use to train pilots are EXTREMELY inaccurate!!! All that money, hardware, software, maintenance, support staff all to end up right back where you started-inaccurate g-forces! You always see them tilting on tv to simulate a turn but a good proper coordinate turn has no lateral forces, only a slight g increase in your seat! And take off thrust is simulated by tilt the sim backwards as though you are climbing…

1 Like

Don’t worry Asobo and good 3rd part developers only use real world performance tables to tune the models with! (well we hope!) It would be VERY hard to pick any good solid useful info out of any forum!

I will share a link to my feedback in another post…

B747 autopilot its not working as should. I managed to fly certain direction,but its not follow waypoints or change direction automatically. Also when climbing, weird behaviour. If any real pilot can give some feedback, thanks.

Could you please share your settings for the FLIGHT MODEL?
Thank you

Got the temps wrong but even at 20deg. C. it is still not even close to what the ground roll should be! Absolutely no sense in checking any other flight model parameters, we haven’t even rotated off the ground yet!
NOW does anybody still not understand these flight dynamics are not even close!!!

This is a power, drag, or weight issue or a combination of any of the three…
Cesna 172 btw

1 Like

You need to calm down, seriously. A flight model is way more than performance charts. Yes there is stuff off, but the feel of the aeroplanes reacting to input and external factors as well as the smoothness of the operation make me feel like I can actually fly by the intuitive feel gathered over the years.
No other sim convey that like this one…I can cover up the instruments and go. Plane does what you expecti it to do.
So there is so much more than performance charts. You could make a sim where every speed was met by your charts and it would still be feeling off.
Also the problem you described can also very well be just a tire friction issue. So the rest of the Model may very well be close enough to feel right.

7 Likes

You might have legit issues and critiques here, but leave the bad MS paint job at home. It makes you look like a conspiracy nut. I was half expecting to read about aliens and flat earth half way through this image set.

STILL, that said, valid though you need to add a little more than just the charts. Good info though.

2 Likes

All assistances turned off, and flight model to “modern” of course.

CPL with 1680 hours in a Twin Otter (super hopeful to see one in MSFS), 1105 between various GA aircraft. The flight model, in general, is not far from being good in most aircraft. I think almost all of the piston crafts feel pretty much on par with their irl counterparts.

Turbines however (bar the 208 which feels pretty good) just don’t feel quite right in terms of power setting, prop pitch and trim surfaces being too finicky and sensitive (I have set my sensitivities to what I find to be appropriate).

I also hold an adx/aircraft dispatch license, and while I’ve never flown an a320, I know enough start them up, understand their systems and most importantly their weight and balance limitations. The current CG limits look off - not as bad as the Longitude, but enough to warrant some tweaking especially with forward CG limits. Moving away from the handling of the aircraft, avionics suites like the G1000 need to be vastly improved in features. I get that for the default AC I can’t expect the whole kit and caboodle, but there are basic features omitted that need to be addressed.

All in all, I concur with OPs statement that the flight model is “good” but can (and I’m sure will) be improved. I’m happy with it for launch, but look forward to seeing changes made in updates to come.

7 Likes

ATP with 13 000 hours, rated on quite a few of the types in the sim, currently on B738’s. I have about 1000 hours instructing on C172’s which is probably the most relevant…and I must say, it really feels like flying a light aircraft all over again. Far, far better feel than my past experience of FS (all the way from the original, to P3D), but I’ve never owned Xplane, only played the demo’s.

I did not try and match the aircraft performance to the handbook (fuel burn, exact power settings vs airspeed etc). So I can’t comment on how close you could get with real manual flight planning, but off the top of my head, the numbers all seem to match up close enough with what I remember. I especially like the feel of how the aircraft bobs around, but you can still trim it out nicely. I will say that a good control setup is critical. Real aircraft often require only the slightest pressure on the controls to enact a change, so to somebody who is only getting the same artificial spring pressure at any airspeed, they will feel very twitchy at times. Make sure you’ve got accurate sensors in your controls, and good feel around the null points (especially true for pitch and yaw controllers). In summary, FS may not hit all the number exactly, and may not do everything brilliantly at the edge of the envelope, but to me it really feels like flying light aircraft again, as well as sims can do it that is.

I won’t bother to comment on the airliners - I’m not rated on Airbii, but it’s obviously not close, neither is the 787 or 747. Those are very system and automation heavy aircraft, and default aircraft in FS have always been bad in that regard. They tend to make them overpowered as well. The biggest fault for me is how badly they fly on automation, which is itself very poorly modelled in any case (lacking many, many features of the real thing which makes your life much easier in reality). I also haven’t experimented with the ‘auto co-pilot’ thing (I seem to remember reading about that somewhere) because in reality they are explicitly made for multi-crew operation. I know people enjoy flying airliners, but I do that for a living so I focus on light aircraft in the sim, plus FS simply can’t really do what takes a full crew in reality to do very plausibly (for me).

But wow…the scenery. I’ve spent many hours now flying in darkest Africa, catching up on my days flying contracts in Twin Otters and 1900’s in weird and wonderful places for the UN WFP and ICRC. I could see the dirt roads I used to have to drive on to reach the fields I flew from, and everything immediately felt familiar. What they’ve done is simply incredible. True VFR, anywhere (so far for me). Incredible lighting as well.

16 Likes

Can you elaborate on the you statement that the trim is horrendous please?

That’s exactly what I think. I have a (cheap) flight stick, Thrustmaster or so. I’m still adjusting (reducing to -80%) to do a smooth landing. I think it has to do with the stick, not that much with the sim. Any recommendations?

Most of my flight time is on DA20 and C172 and during flight it feels pretty realistic. With the stick doing a slip felt a bit weird and in my opinion the DV20 stalls at a slightly too small angle of attack. But it’s pretty close. The stall sound of the DV20 is perfect :slight_smile:

For the light aircraft it’s not bad. The C152 feels spot on, as does the C172 and the FDCT. The Caravan and Bonanza are far too underpowered and don’t fly like the real ones, struggling to do anything in the sim, even when empty.

For the A320, no it’s not good at all. I’ve sent them fairly in depth info so hopefully they’ll take some of it on board. Most of that is how they’ve tried to implement the auto-trimming I think, and the way the cockpit works is completely wrong. FSLabs however got it mostly right. Hoping to see them over here sooner rather than later.

I’ve flown over 35 types over 7000 hours, including those in the sim: FDCT, the C152, C172, C182 (payware), Mooney (when this payware arrives), Bonanza, Baron, (flown in the Caravan), to the A320. Looking forward to the C310 coming too.

Systems in general are quite lacking, but to be expected for default aircraft. I’m certain we’ll see a replacement G1000 and similar over time.

1 Like

As a real life GA pilot, I’m happy with the modeling for sure. I did most of my training in the Cessna 152, and the way the aircraft handles wind/light turbulence feels right, and definitely better than past sims. To be honest though, the main improvement about the GA aircraft over other sims is the sound. The way the struts creak when you turn while taxiing. The sound of the stall horn. The way the aircraft shakes when you cut the mixture to shut the plane down. The sound of the gyros winding down after you turn the master switch off. The sounds were all perfect, and makes me nostalgic for the cockpit (I haven’t flown in over a year). I’m just glad they haven’t found a way to replicate the smells, cause the rental aircraft I usually fly in have been puked in one too many times, so on a warm day the scent of disinfectant mixed with whatever mess got stuck behind the instrument panel/under the seats is NOT something I miss.

7 Likes

Lol, exactly, you got me thinking about the smells as well. I agree, the sounds are excellent, they really add character to these aircraft. They can creak and rattle quite a bit. But the smells are always so distinctive. Slightly mouldy leather, mixed with oil, avgas in varying degress (each plane has it’s quirks), and a bit of cleaner/vomit. Flashbacks to my instructing days!

2 Likes

exactly, I was not able to trim the 172. One notch on the mouse wheel results in more than 2 degrees pitch. And what about the flaps? My IRL 172 has 10/20/30 degrees, but the sim has 3 degree increments :slight_smile:

The sounds might be good on the 152 but try the 747. When you roll it sounds like they didn’t lock some cargo down in the forward hold! The ailerons and spoilers sound nothing like it on the 747 and of course there’s no way you can here them in the flight deck.