Realistic Dangerous Weather - Physics Simulation

Unfortunately I second that as well. I had hopes because SU11 seems to have unlock (a little bit) updraft-downdraft more than previously but I did test in TS or big cells of CB and still there is no effect at all. (barely more but it’s difficult to be accurate even if my bird C310 has been hit by some big updraft/dowdraft in CB from time to time (I even made a video that gave hopes!!! ) but I don’t know if it was hazardous somehow because after other tests “nothing happened” in bad weather conditions.

Indeed the list of features was just advertising even if progress has been done in this area, it’s unsignificant based to what they did promise to their costumers and can look like as a “fraud”.

Maybe we could expect the presence of those realistic features out of Xenviro which was released yesterday. I know that on XP, Xenviro adds huge convective/updraft-downdraft/Moderate to Severe Turbulence in Clouds, CB, icing conditions in TS etc… I’ll be curious to test it based on what it is provided in the MSFS2020 Xenviro list.

I’m not at home for a couple of days so I have to wait to make that test in case if someone here can make it before! :wink:

7 Likes

Don’t hold your breath. xEnviro doesn’t do anything new or magical than all the other weather injection models because the weather system is closed.
It only injects a weather preset based on the current METAR, that’s all.

Unless I see someone flying through storms and experiencing wind shears, I call xEnviro’s list of features a blatant lie and a cashgrab.

2 Likes

Yeap it’s better not to hold my breath! I just asked on the Xe thread if someone can make that test! I’ve just seen that there are some turbulence added in clouds (based on a very short youtube video X speed accelaration so it’s useless to appreciate) let’s see

God how the clouds and the landscape looked, it’s a shame that we won’t see it like that anymore, thanks to the silly box of the xbox

2 Likes

Please add cloud turbulence to the sim, this is still lacking.

10 Likes

Agreed. Even with FS Realistic installed, there is no specific cloud turbulence.

2 Likes

Sounds like a reason Asobo should enable the cloud turbulence feature. There’s only one way to learn… and that’s to experience then ask questions. I want full realism not a dumbed down sim for kids who could care less anyway.

2 Likes

But often i see statements like “overdone” instead of questions. Thats sad.

1 Like

That’s where asobo / MS who should know what realistic turbulence should be like, along with beta testers and real pilot who agree (like myself), need to put their foot down and say ‘this is how it really is’ and if some people don’t like it then maybe flying isn’t for them. You can change a sim and its behavior, but you can’t change reality. And if the sim mimics reality, than those who aren’t real pilots and can’t handle how weather / airplanes really work, then again, maybe this isnt for them. I think the rest of us would like realistic cloud turbulence. Or as I suggested before, these complainers use it as a ‘learning experience’ when they complain and the entire forum tells them ‘this turbulence / aircraft behavior is correct’, then they’ll have a better understanding of flight. To remove an essential feature that is realistic just to reduce complaints is wrong.

5 Likes

I lost hope. The game has been out for years now so the old excuse that it’s very recent doesn’t hold anymore. They could have done it already but they didn’t. They don’t allow third parties to do it. They have been consistent with the argument this is a game and not a retail flight simulator. It’s not going to happen.

I still have hope. I feel the air in su11 is much more alive than it were 1 year ago. There is no turbulence in clouds still but i think they will re-implement that soon. Actually turbulence should be the main feature in atmosphere. Atmosphere is turbulence more or less. It’s not a wind-tunnel or vaccum.

The hard part is to model it as a realistic turbulent fluid that works for all type of aircraft really light or heavy.

It’s much easier to make an aircraft behave correct in a windtunnel without any kind of turbulence. But then when it’s used in the real turbulent atmosphere it’s a completely different thing.

I think we are used to fly in wind tunnels in flightsimulators. Thats why many reacts it’s overdone as soon as we feel a bump. But say it’s overdone does not help devs improve it.

I “still have hope”, indeed SU11 makes the atmosphere more alive but it’s still a pain and a big long frustration that CB/TS are still totally unrealistic in terms of turbulence.
I also believe that the majority of users won the “battle” to make Asobo focused only on cosmetic/visual stuff and performances, more than to be focused on realism/weather and performances… 2 years and months later, it sounds weird!

I was almost sure that SU11 beta would provide turbulence in clouds, it is still in beta but is there some information that turbulence won’t be present in clouds once SU11 will be released?

4 Likes

I think they only will add information about that if they actually add it. This update is only the buildup phace of thermals i bet. I’m not sure if it will be more improvement of thermals. But for turbulence we have an own thread for realistic turbulence. And that needs to be mentioned in the releasenotes if they focused on that wish i bet.

1 Like

This is what happens when you try to fly through the beautiful thunderstorm Incident: LATAM A320 at Asuncion on Oct 27th 2022, storm damage

4 Likes

Wow, looks like a double engine flameout too! (RAT was deployed)

There are videos from inside the cabin on social media, it looks absolutely bonkers

2 Likes

I hope we get this topic in the next Q&A, would be good to know what their plans are and what we can or can’t expect.

3 Likes

At the very least, windshear simulation would be great. a real danger irl

3 Likes

Turbulence on a flight through the storm! :airplane: Latam Santiago de Chile - Asuncion, Paraguay - YouTube

I can’t wait to be forced to avoid Thunderstorm in MSFS 2020! :cloud_with_lightning: :airplane: :skull_and_crossbones: :person_gesturing_no:

Indeed Mother Nature is overdone! :wink:

3 Likes

Some of those things would actually be very easy to implement - hail in some areas of a storm could just be modeled as rain, but with another sound and a high likelyhood of an engine flameout be added; that would be doeable in very few codelines and make the sim
much more interesting. Its really not so much about complex weather modeling and complex coding - that could be left to 3rd party companies as it used to. but just adding a high chance of engine flameout in a storm and the whole idea of avoiding such weather would be nicely implemented in the sim. come on asobo, shouln‘t be too difficult, no?

3 Likes

Including a good simulated camera shake maybe.