Realistic Dangerous Weather - Physics Simulation

Yes, but the camera shake should be a result of the physics simulation, not like an inserted artificial effect.
Something like this is already in ‘‘FSRealistic’’.

2 Likes

Would it be stupid to suggest that people avoid flying in dangerous weather? for some silly reason I thought that’s how it’s done.

2 Likes

Yes because it should have consequences to fly in dangerous weather, just like it has consequences to fly into a mountain, your plane crashes.

It’s the same as you would argue ‘‘you shouldn’t crash into a mountain so there is no need to simulate conctact points for that’’. Yet that would be highly unrealistic and ridiculously stupid to fly straight through an mountain animation you didn’t saw because of clouds, wouldn’t it?

And that’s what we have right now, we fly through all these ‘visual weather animations’ with no relation to reality what’s so ever, as it was nothing.

12 Likes

Totally agree! Definitely needs to be more severe to be more realistic in bad weather.

5 Likes

As expected nothing has changed in terms of ‘‘bad weather physcis’’,
but I guess first there has to be more stuff updated for this (newly reopened) basic topic:

Thermals, Up & Downdrafts - More Realism Updates

However chances are good that it maybe get picked for the upcoming Dev Q&A.

4 Likes

My question got picked for the Twitch Dev Q&A
(17:47)

I was basically asking about this:

Here are the keypoints of the response from Sebstian/ Asobo:

• everything we showed in the feat discovery video was captured in the sim/ it’s in the sim
  • in presets you can do almost everything, but in live weather depends on the situation
  • updraft strength limit is now at 2000 fpm (which was way less in the past)
  • 20km CFD is now partially implemented gonna get improved/ more advanced in the future
  • as soon as we get an turbulence UI then we can really go free and say ''there is a big storm with 20.000 fpm upwind
  • we need that UI first so users have an option to reduce everything in live weather in case they want to fly peacefully in an area where currently is an storm

First of all thank you for picking my question! Here is my feedback to that response:

• everything you showcased in the video might be in the sim, but definitely not everything you listed or mentioned as key points
  • there is definitely no turbulence in any cloud, doesn’t matter if live or stormy preset weather
  • TCU’s described in that video are there visually, but they have no physics effect to even the smallest airplane
  • up & down drafts can’t match the actual weather if there are still to this day strength limitations implemented
  • the 20km CFD needs an big improvement, for example thermals doesn’t match cloud heights / doesn’t even have an connection to the clouds, getting spawned almost everywhere randomly
  • to the statement that we can’t see/ judge turbulence and need an visualization tool for that: that’s wrong, we can’t see turbulence because it’s simply not there, you don’t need an visualization tool to see the aircraft getting out of control in an big storm - we can’t see it, because the physics are not simulated. Fly with the small Cessna straight through the biggest darkest cloud without even a little shake…

and here comes my biggest wish / feedback:

A turbulence UI might make sense for preset weather, but definitely not for live weather!
I mean that’s the point of live weather, you fly in the conditions which are there in reality.
I guarantee you people don’t want to avoid challenging weather, if there is a big storm in real life they gonna head to it in the sim. If they don’t want that, they can simply jump out of the live weather into a custom weather flight, the options are there already or just simply avoid the area like >>in reality<<.

But currently there is no need to avoid any weather situation, because there is no consequence / simulation of dangerous weather physics. Also no need for an weather radar because of that, you can fly through everything without even a small shake like I said.

So I don’t understand this decision making. People begging for more realism and for stopping the up & down draft limitations since the beginning. But it’s being pushed back and flatlined because of complaints the public never saw. The same goes for the thermal implementation, a basic arcade version was chosen over an existing more realistic one, again because of some alleged complaints.

Any realism regarding ‘‘dangerous flight physics’’ is still missing.
Please think more about the true simmers in terms of realism and don’t make all of your decisions depending on some casual complaints.

19 Likes

If a user doesn’t want real live weather then ‘turning the volume down’ on it, to anything less, isn’t then real live weather - they might just as well turn it off. I cannot find a face-palm emoji, sorry

7 Likes

Let’s just call it by analogy and for what it is: dead weather.

6 Likes

The thing is, live-weather is a nice thing in theory. But have no options makes many users dissapointed. It only works without options for those that finds the weather realistic in their opinions. The next sim update something gets changed. And now a totally different group of users finds the weather more realistic. But the users that liked the weather before the forced changes is now dissapointed and starts to complain here. And the circle has started. Because we can’t downvote on wishes here on the forum. And we are forced to use the changes.

I also want weather to behave realistic. But to make the sim enyojable for all of the users they need to add options even in live-weather.

1 Like

We are forced to use the (backwards) changes since 2 years, without any option. They pushed limitation after limitation into the sim because of complaints of people who doesn’t understand aviation. Nobody from development said “we can’t reduce everything, this would make the weather dead and the sim fans sad”, they just simply reduced and limited the whole thing in one update. And now all of a sudden we need an UI after waiting 2 years for that visualization tool which was the “reason” why they didn’t lift the up/draft limit, which was 500fpm. LOL!

While I have nothing against an turbulence UI in live weather, even if it doesn’t make any sense, it’s just another excuse to not go for realism and stay in half arcade mode.

“Turbulence UI” is nothing more than an up/downdraft fpm limiter. That’s what they are using since the beginning. They changed the draft limit from 2000 to 500, then to 1000 and now back to 2000 fpm. While in reality if you fly into the wrong cloud/storm you can get over 10000 fpm and lose control of the aircraft, that’s the realism which is missing.

That visualization tool was there from the beginning, I mean they showed the exact same airflow visualization in the first feature discovery series. And the same goes for the turbulence UI, it already exists, otherwise how would they make any changes and limits without it.

I call it poor excuse, but let’s wait another 2 years before we get a little bit more realism, just to make the casual gamers happy with this rail game…

8 Likes

Yes, i totally agree. In softwares limits are possible. But in simulators it should not exist limits at all. Especially when there is no options in live-weather. If there is no options the live-weather should be unlimited and Asobo should ignore people that says it’s overdone.

I really hate the change of weather they did in su7 and would like pre su7 weather as an optional feature. I found the weather without METAR much more realistic. And i know for sure not all of the users agree.

And i bet if they unlimit the turbulence without options it will be users that wish the old turbulence back again. I’m a user that want everything realistic but also like to have options for things they change. Because the change they make is their opinion of what feel realistic. Not our opinion.

I’m really looking forward to the “full CFD simulation” they talking about :slight_smile:

7 Likes

You are looking at it the wrong way. A slider such as this will allow us to keep the turbulence as strong and as close to realistic as we want.

If they didn’t add a slider like that they would eventually turn down turbulence for everyone, because the crowd is very vocal about how they don’t like it. What do you prefer? :wink:

1 Like

That’s not my issue with it. I just think the overall visual quality of the snow layer looks rather fake. Especially in Alpine mountains.

I’m fine with a slider or similar, but if people need assistance with the reality of the potentially damaging effects of what nature can throw at everyone of us, not just pilots, then put it in the assists (and label it accordingly - ‘easy weather’ or something) where it should belong not as part of the weather tab (the 3D thermals could go in assists too).

5 Likes

The main issue is that the snow coverage (and frozen lakes and even oceans) is just flat out wrong all year long. There is snow in the summer where never should be any snow whatsoever, and the same is true for winter. Clear roads and runways are the least of our problems in that regard.

2 Likes

Regarding the weather physics simulation:

1. trying to achieve realism + optional helping assist = :white_check_mark:

2. forcing everybody to use arcade values = :x:

MSFS is still big time at number 2.

13 Likes

This video sums up a lot of things we mean with ‘‘realistic dangerous weather physics’’.
Also what I mean with they are only visually represented in MSFS, even if some of them are listed to be in the sim, all of these effects are missing!

9 Likes

I do so agree with that statement! Majority do not mean Rationality or Realism lol !

4 Likes

I agree! i think now that so many things have been ironed out in the sim this needs to be revisited! The atmospheric simulation still needs work, I am glad we have terrain induced turbulence and thermals now but that needs more tweaking still and we should have cloud related turbulence as it seems to be non existent right now. We also need a way to deice the airplane on the ground before flight. I think the atmospherics and weather are the biggest things holding the sim back at this point.

6 Likes

Even from an entertaining perspective, realistic weather physics would draw so much more attention to the sim.

I read in comments that this game is nice but very boring quite often and they are right,
flying from A to B with nothing to worry about other than the takeoff and landing, what’s even the point?

Just having the possibility of bad weather would bring so much more fun, specially for longer flights.
Having to check the weather, looking for dark clouds, taking a look at the radar (which needs to be updated first, but that’s another topic…).

8 Likes