Recommend me some mid-sized props, please

I’ve been doing a lot more low-and-slow flying in MSFS than in FSX so I’d like some recommendations for mid-sized props, anything that’s good for commuter flights, air taxi, sightseeing, small air freight, that kind of thing. So, not as small as the Skyhawk, not as large as the Twotter, anything in between is fine.

What I have:

• the Twin Otter (pretty much at the upper end of the size range)
  • the Kodiak
  • the Trislander

What I’d like:

• glass cockpit, or at least a good modern navigation system with decent screen size
  • short landing and takeoff runs
  • well-behaved autopilot (looking at you, most stock planes!)
  • pleasant to hand-fly
  • reasonably fast

I don’t need a float or ski option, and I’ll take both turboprops and pistons. I’m mostly interested in singles because I already have a twin with the Twotter and want to “round out” the collection, but that’s not a 100% required.

Those smaller airplanes are something I know very little about, so I’m not even sure what generally are my options in this area and any input is welcome.

You might like:

Beech 18 from Carenado
Beech 17 from Carenado
PC-6 from Milviz (yes it’s much better than Asobo’s)
Grumman Goose from Big Radials
Velocity XL from Black Square

1 Like

MrTommyMxr Mod + DA62. 'Nuff said.

1 Like

When you say “glass cockpit and a good modern navigation”, it’s hard to recommend anything other than the NXi, so you’re making it hard. But regardless:

• Carenado PC-12: Hard not to recommend. It works fine on my system, i have no FPS loss. Not slow just like you want, yet can nail low’n’slow beautifully with the right power settings and has great visibility.

• Milviz PC-6 fits right in. This might be the one for you.

• I was going to recommend the WB-Sim C172 mod, but then you want something “reasonably fast” and “bigger than a skyhawk”.

2 Likes

I’ve been enjoying the Baron G-58 mod on FSTO. A joy to hand fly and very fast and has the NXi.

1 Like

As glass cockpits go, it doesn’t get much better than the Kodiak which you already have. But if you’re open to steam gauges (such as on the Beech 18), then the Flysimware Cessna 414 and Milviz Cessna 310 are definitely worth a look.

1 Like

Flysimware’s 414aw is top notch and can use the default garmin 530 or the pms 750 or the tds 750. Its on the pricier side but is very well liked. There is another thread of Your Current top 5 planes and month after month it takes the top spot.

Also the Beech twin 18 is another favorite of mine. Its cheap at $15 and it uses the 530 stock but with JDs mod from flightsim.to can use the pms 750 system in the 530 frame.

1 Like

Sadly there are not many Third party aircraft with Glas cockpits available.

I am hoping the DA50 by (I think) Got Friends gets released at some point.

Untl then I would just use Mods for the default aircraft. Some are pretty good. I like the DA62X and the Bonanza Improvement.

1 Like

What about stock Bonanza or V-tail Bonanza?

2 Likes

I would think that the C414AW would be a must have for you. It ticks all of your boxes including being very pleasant to hand fly, a bit if a rarity in this sim these days.

2 Likes

There’s a very nice Bonanza Improvement Project available as well. G36 Improvement Project - #1342 by CH14R1

2 Likes

There’s also a turbo mod for the Bonanza G36 if you want a little more speed and performance. Hasn’t been updated in a year, but it’s really great and works with the latest SUs : Bonanza Turbo V4.1 at Microsoft Flight Simulator Nexus - Mods and community

2 Likes

Turn off the EX-600 and see if that helps your frames.

1 Like

Yeah, I already came across that device, just haven’t had time to try it yet.

I find myself naturally just looking at the GTN-750 screen anyway so i rarely use the EX-600. It will turn ON with Avionics, so turn it off and see if you notice frames improvements.

Dave´s BAE-ATP :wink:

For what you describe the Cessna 414 is the obvious first choice.

My favorite, the Cessna 310 is also worth a look.

So is the Grumman Goose and the Got Friends (not Orbx) Edgley Optica if you want something a little… odd.

You can run a GTN750 on all but the Goose which has its own hidden navigation. And most have several options.

All quirky planes to hand fly, with modern amenities if you want to let the plane fly for a bit.

Also, don’t sleep on the DC 6. Big, but all kinds of prop goodness with modern navigation.

Would be interested to know the result too. But low fps would be a problem
In the same boat looking for this kind of plane. The King Air just has too bad visibility for me.

Take a look here also. It gives a very good overview of what is out there and which are favourites:

bn2 islander from blackbox simulations.
the best :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes