Recommendations? 314 Clipper or Latecoere 631?

I only would like to purchase one float plane - anyone who has both care to weigh in? Is one better than the other? Clipper is twice as expensive - is it twice as good? Just looking for someone who might be in a position to compare them for me. Thanks in advance!

I have both.

The Clipper’s advantage is the numerous waterways with the ability to spawn C&D at them.

I found a number of mild issues with the 314 and a few functions not simulated/finished. Im not talking about high-fidelity elements. I’m talking about basic functions like the CHT gauge, fuel pumps affecting only half the fuel pressure gauges, the red lights for the cockpit overhead switch panel being non-op, etc. I had strange behavior with the flight model and autopilot and I wasn’t alone based on the reports in the thread here. Pilot’s says they are adding more functionality, but you know how that can be. The price is too high for that sort of thing. It should be better.

I didn’t get a massive amount of time with the 631, yesterday, but I was very impressed with how much functional equipment was modeled. The model is beautiful, with many small details like the miniature 316 that sits on the paper chart indicating your position. Since it also has some modern avionics that can be toggled on/off, it also offers modern world navigational usage. I didn’t get to fly it much (didn’t have time). I took off from the waterway in France, flew to the ocean and landed. It’s an incredible value, especially so if you have the Deluxe/Premium discount.

3 Likes

Thanks for the info! I have that mods that add several water runways across the globe - will the 631 be able to start C&D from those? If so it sounds like I’ll go with the 631, better price and overall better quality for the buck.

Yes, you can start C&D with it.

Be Advised: if you do, there is a known issue (the dev has already fixed and is ready to push an update, hopefully, for next Thurs) where the electrical system will drain the battery even though you have all the generators online and operating.

See:

1 Like

If you’re on PC, you can fix the issue now with a file replacement:

1 Like