Recommended internet speed?

I have always struggled with poor and pixelated ground textures even though all my settings are on ultra and toredo works. This issue occurs when flying high (basically anything above 5000ft).

MS recommends 50mb/s even though it only ever uses 10mb/s in photogrammetry cities.

Would upgrading my internet from 75mb/s to something higher do anything to improve quality of ground textures?

I want to know why MS is recommending 50mb/s when their services uses a maximum of 10mb/s. Why is that?

I’ve seen FS use my full 60Mbit bandwidth while downloading photogrammetry. Not sure why it’s not doing that for you.

What! Are you serious? Can anyone else confirm this?

Im on 100mbs, works fine at that level. Make sure data streaming/PG not switched its-self off. It does that.

1 Like

It’s all enabled for sure. I can easily tell the difference when it’s on or off.

I only have 30mbs internet (still using copper wire here…) and most of the time, I have no problem with MSFS performance at all. Occasionally I have periods of ‘generic’ ground texture when texture is loading in; and can struggle with photogrammetry sometimes … but not often and it all seems pretty random.

I guess generally more bandwidth can only be a good thing (I’d pay for more if I could get it though not specifically for MSFS), but I wouldn’t count on it fixing these kind of issues … I suspect that the server-client interactions making this all work (and all the stuff in between) is complex and no one simple fix can improve the whole system performance.

Im on 500/500 fibre, and sometimes i struggle with the texture loading. So idk, dont sweat it!

40mbps here and photogrammetry works just fine everywhere

1 Like

Turn off your rolling cache and see if that helps.
That will delete your cache and remove old cached scenery files that could cause this

Thanks. But it’s been turned off from day one.

I guess I am wondering if anyone has seen MSFS use more than 10mbs while streaming? I mean, I still don’t understand why MS would recommend minimum 50mbs when usage is 20% of that.

One user so far has said they have seen it use 50mbs while in flight. I wonder if there are any others.

They probably recommend that because they know you will need overhead for background updates, reserved Windows services, other network devices, etc.
Always give yourself overhead when picking internet services.

When I was testing the stuttering using rolling cache, I was monitoring network activity from my PC. In AI autogen areas, my usage was typically 10 Mbits or so. At that point, really only ground textures and elevation data are being streams. That’s pretty lightweigh.

In photogrammetry areas of larger cities like NYC and Los Angeles, I saw my network usage up around 70 Mbps of my 1Gbps connection.

Never seen MSFS very BW greedy when streaming landscape, less than 10Mb/s continuous stream

However, when it comes to updates download, it climbs around 150 to 200 Mbits/s

Updates, streaming, and such things are far more demanding than multiplayer and data caching.

If I recall, a larger cache means less downloading less often. Consider that unless you change locations so much you have to update the cache constantly.

I generally have no problems with streaming in areas outside of photogrammetry cities. In the city, it’s pretty bad.

8Mbps down 1Mbps up DSL here.

Screenshots?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.