Recycling xbox controllers for analog inputs

TL;DR at bottom

I have (had) three 360 controllers. The oldest one was wireless and was my main controller for games however the sticks on this developed major drift issues. This led me to buy another controller, which I didn’t know until I received it that it was actually wired. While this controller (thrustmaster) was actually very nice it being wired led it to collecting dust for years. I recently bought a third wireless controller (cheap ebay generic) and it has become my main game controller. Now that I had this new one I had the bright idea to “fix” my old wireless controller by transplanting the analog stick assemblies from the wired controller to it. I won’t go into detail but I think I might have ruined both of them. I contemplated just throwing them away until I came across an old post in another thread where someone talked about turning an xbox controller into a button box.

TL;DR Can I just connect a potentiometer to one of the groups of solder points outlined on a bare logic board to control an analog axis or am I misunderstanding how this works? Would it work with either wired controller board or wireless?

Well it works, it wouldn’t let me upload the video though. There seems to be a deadzone at both ends of the pot though, not sure if that’s due to the pot or something else. It’s 10k, I think its linear taper can’t remember. I bought these pots over 10 years ago and never used them lol.

EDIT: Seems to work in the game controller wizard, having issues in the game though. Seems to think the dpad or y axis is always going down.

EDIT again: Can’t for the life of me get three analogs working correctly at once. If I add a trim pot it seems to interfere with the other axis assignments as well. Don’t have everything I need yet to make this quadrant but I wanted a sloppy copy for practicing I guess.

3 Likes

Very cool keep at it man

1 Like

Thanks for the encouragement! Cardboard is cheap quick and easy for testing different layouts and configurations, I’m glad I’m somewhat of a hoarder otherwise this endeavor would be too expensive to practice at. I’m curious if there’s a way to filter the glitchy signal I get when adding a third pot to this board though.

Pretty cool, you may want to check out discord if you haven’t already. This gentleman offers a ton of great advice. https://youtube.com/channel/UCk3QdcLf2UPk0GCNj2JhmqA