Rediscovering some FS2004 Nostalgia

Flying the likes of the Top Rudder 103 Solo and BlueMesh’s Amphibious Ultralight recently in MSFS got me thinking back to happy memories of flying similar craft in FS2004. I have fond memories of flying the Quad City Challenger from Lynn & Bill Lyons that came with a flour bombing mission on a private airstrip, at a lake side in a forested mountain area. Back in the day, this was as immersive as it got for me and so I went down a bit of a rabbit hole to see if I could find the location of said lake and revisit in with better graphics in the new sim.

After a quite a bit of googling, I came across a site that still hosted the 8mb .zip file for the aircraft, so downloaded and extracted it to a dummey folder on my desktop, opened it up, found the included missions folder, and opened them one at a time in a text editor until I found what I was looking for.

The co-ordinates took me to O’Rouke Bay, Hayden Lake in Idaho, and upon closer inspection, it appears there is a grass strip at the south eastern corner that the scenery may have been loosely based off.

The closest airport is Coeur d’Alene Airport, but I picked Silverwood (2ID4) a little further north as my starting point, loaded up in the Amphib to fly the length of the lake from north to south, making a landing at the grass clearing around the same site as the flour bombing missions I used to fly 15 odd years ago, before continuing down to Regan Ranch (6ID1). Quite the trip down memory lane!

5 Likes

FS2004 was definitely a great sim. Funnily enough, with all the right addons, including REX, airport addons, and the PMDG 747, it looked amazing maxed. And still was very stable in terms of performance. I was 7 years old when I began simming for the first time with FS2004 the year it came out. The sim has a special place in my heart. MSFS 2020 is only truly getting started, so hopefully in 2-3 years, it’ll be superb in performance.

1 Like

Aaaaw, man… I’m going to have to make a Canyon Run soon!

1 Like

Another bit of nostalgia for this flight would be the port of the Air Creation 582 SL from FSX

2 Likes