Reflections look grainy, even if reflections are on ultra

Everyone I see reporting this issue appears to be using an NVidia card, including myself (1080). Hopefully this means it’s an easy fix, whether it’s a simple setting we’re missing or a driver issue.

1 Like

I hope so, it might also be a Nvidia control panel setting? let me know if anyone has any ideas regarding that.

I have the same card so that alone can’t be it.
There is exactly 1 situation where I get those and this when the plane is on the ground and I move the cam directly below the plane. Then the bottom of the fuselage shows a few places where it’s grainy.

As soon the reflection doesn’t have to reflect the ground (plane is in air) there is basically not 1 grain dot anymore.

I didn’t have the time yesterday but I’ll post the settings I’ve set, maybe it helps someone. Also the Nvidia inspector settings.

Clouds look grainy sometimes but that may be something else relating from the volumetric cloud engine. Bit I’m not 100% sure on that.

Other sims who use this technology have the same problem (like xenviro for Xplane).

What I’ve noticed sometimes at the beginning of the release that changing settings manually can increase this too. To see if you have this problem I would change to a premade setting like "high end, “ultra” etc and see if it’s still the same.

1 Like

To really see the issue try loading up the JMB VL-3, and double tap space bar in the cockpit to rise up the view, on a nice sunny day and enjoy the grainy view. notice around the prop area, it’s even worse in the game with the prop moving. Screenshot:

It’s even worse if you get in the landing view and do the same. Notice the reflection of the cowling and how it makes everything including the runway look grainy.Screenshot:

1 Like

Zendesk request done :

Request #46637 Grainy reflections.

2 Likes

Yep, have done that. Have tried all in-game presets, even let GeForce Experience choose settings for me, and no change. I think it’s far beyond the realms of being remedied by in-game settings unfortunately, and is very much a performance issue.

It’s understood that the bug won’t happen with all NVidia cards, but only happens with NVidia cards, ie, I’ve yet to read of this issue happening with a Radeon card.

FWIW, I see the same grainy reflections on my system using an AMD 5700 GPU (latest drivers)

thats weird (the prop moving thing). I will look if that happens for me too.

But overall i really cant complain, somehow it seems to work for me. And thats not even ultr. Just High end with half of the settings on Medium.

But like promised, i will post my settings in a bit, maybe it helps someone

Part 1, Nvidia Inspector. I hope one can guess what it means, i have my system in German Language. Some of the words used i can translate:

Scharfstellen der Bilder = Aus / Image sharpening = Off
Anwendungsgesteuert = Application settings / Application controlled
Ein = On
Optimale Leistung = Optimal performance
Zulassen = Allow
Schnell = Fast

InSim settings follow

Nvidia RTX 2080 with the latest Driver for MSFS Gameready

I have the same, using the RADEON VII

Unfortunately, not the easy fix we’re all hoping for…

-Tyler

I found out that this is caused by sharpening. Its a catch 22 because turning sharpening off makes things look rather blurry, and having it on causes that grainy effect. I even tried turning sharpness off in the cfg and applying sharpness in the NVIDIA control panel instead. It gave the same grainy effects.

In “%appdata%\Microsoft Flight Simulator” theres a file called UserCfg.opt. You can edit it with any text editor and at the very bottom theres a postprocess block. Find and set set “sharpen 0” in there and you can test it yourself and decide weather you wanna deal with grain for a blurry image. I personally went for the latter.

Yeah most of the time, the reflections look great but for some reason I’ve noticed this more when looking out the cockpit at something that has a reflection when looking at certain angles or like reflections from the instruments on the cockpit windscreen. Otherwise the reflections look beautiful like below :slight_smile: .

Try to match the resolution of the simulator with the resolution of your monitor

I tried that, didn’t work… I think the problem is with the Nvidia driver, or a software issue within the simulator.

It’s something to do with sharpening, however, turning sharpening off does not solve the problem (turning it off from both the cfg file and nvidia) When turning it off, everything looks blurry and the grain is still there, but there are less grains.

I have a Radeon RX 580, and it’s doing it.

2 Likes

just checked the props. Perfectly smooth.

Well, i hope you will find it. Thats all i can do from my side. If it doesnt work with the settings same as i have then im out of ideas.

4 Likes

Its because of the way the game is doing reflections. Its like SSAO in that the location of the sample is alternated every other frame. The same issue is true of the clouds but they are doing a temporal reconstruction to try and hide it - sometimes that works other times it doesn’t.

The only way around this issue is to supersample/dsr.

1 Like

I too have this issue on ultra with a 2070 Super and latest “Game Ready” drivers which allegedly include MSFS 2020.

I have seen the proposed fix of editing usercfg.opt elsewhere, specifically to change “Film Grain 1” to 0, however that does not help because as far as I can see, whatever edit I put into this file is removed by the system. This is on a Steam based install - the usercfg is in the default C:\ hierarchy but the big files are in a custom directory on D:\ created via the installer. I had this behaviour on Win 10 before where I was patching a driver and the OS (not the app) would recover the driver within 10 seconds. I got round that by removing the OS write privs for the file - fine for a specific driver, but that’s not practical for this as the app will need to update it from the gui.

I’ll wait and hopefully this defect will be fixed in upcoming patches. Not the end of the world but is jarring when immersion on everything else is so good.

2 Likes