[Release] Ant's Airplanes Drifter 582 Ultralight

Thanks for this addon!
Now please do your Tecnams for MSFS haha! Cant wait for them

1 Like

I’d love to see the Eaglet too, but doesn’t the Flight Design CTSL come very close? Or the excellent freeware FK9 (or the Pipistrel if you have the expensive edition.)

They are similar in that they are in the same general category, yes. Much in the same way how a Cessna 172 is similar to a Piper Arrow - you’ve got your wings, single engine, seats four, etc.

Which is to say: there are plenty of differences why i’d still buy an Eaglet, even if there are other options that might appear similar.

The CTSL has a panel layout that just doesn’t agree with me. Ant’s Eaglet has a full set of analog instruments, optional digital EFIS, an autopilot, had several configuration options with the F1 750, etc. While the Pipestrel is more fully featured than the CTSL, I much prefer analog over digital instruments. And I really dislike the obstructed view of that panel, which the Eaglet doesn’t have.

I’ve flown both extensively, but I’d still buy the Eaglet. For sure.

EDIT: Oh and yes, the FK9 is excellent as well in terms of build quality, but again: obstructed view, limited panel, etc. It also didn’t help that the first version had more cameras in it than a Hollywood studio, which he apparently fixed in the subsequent version.

1 Like

Based on the product reviews and especially AV Angels review, I have purchased this add-on!

1 Like

I wasn’t going to buy any more ultralights. Then I flew the demo.

Then I bought this. It’s SO well done.

Can’t wait for the Tiger Moth and T-28! They were fantastic under FSX/P3D.

1 Like

Could we have Asobo pilots please. The ones in this release look as if they were hung by their arms and the arms stretched out of proportion. Maybe it is just perception on my part, but to my eyes it spoils an otherwise great looking aircraft.

2 Likes

I personally like and prefer the custom pilot models included with this aircraft.
(I can see where you’re coming from with the proportions, just doesn’t bother me at all. I do have somewhat lanky arms though, so the modeled arms don’t stand out much to me :laughing: )

If there ever was an update to make use of the Asobo models for those that would rather them, I hope they would only be a selectable option. I wouldn’t want to loose the ability to use the custom models that we currently have, also wouldn’t want to be up in an ULA like this without a helmet :wink:

Wow, I missed this, will likely purchase it tonight. Looks like it would be my go to ultralight, and, given how aircraft prices have shot through the roof, maybe a consideration for one in real life, too?

I so hope he brings the T-28 after he’s done with the Moth!

Agree that some of the default avatars don’t really fit with this aircraft but with GotFriends now releasing their own custom one (and hopefully more devs to follow), this is probably the only criticism I have of Ants work.

Other Microlight/Ultralight aircraft use the defaults so definitely not a technical limitation.

I’m guessing Avatars weren’t a thing in previous FS versions hence why they have a custom model. Can only hope that future aircraft they make adopt the new system rather than just cloning/porting the old models.

Perhaps Ant could consider making there own Avatar models available seperately?

FYI, Ant is bringing the T-28 to MSFS, all the same variants as he did with FSX.
I’d love him to do a Wirraway or Boomerang in the same feels as the Wingeel…

An update (yes!) of the Drifter is available:

Description:
Version 1.20 for the Drifter Ultralight for MSFS includes the following:

• New pilot and passenger models with new visibility options
  • New Tablet. Changed from C++ gauge to a HTML gauge which should lead to better stability. Due to this change and the way user preferences are saved, preferences from previous versions will not be loaded into version 1.2
  • Key commands to toggle the Tablet (Decrease Nav4 volume) and GPS (Increase Nav4 volume)
  • Added option for engine starting difficulty. Easy requires no priming. Hard requires engine priming for cold engines
  • Improved the engine priming by using custom logic instead of default
  • Increased tank capacities to 30 and 40 litres (total usable 61 litres)
  • Changed fuel consumption rates (see Fuel Consumption section)
  • Fixed issue with fuel amounts in the fuel line
  • Various changes to the engine performance and flight model (mostly but not limited to, drag, angle of aircraft in cruise and spin characteristics)
  • Added airframe icing effect
  • Added 4 levels of Rolling Resistance to control ground roll speeds
  • 3 options for windscreen reflections. High, low and off. Note that the off setting will not display rain effects on the windscreen (because the layer for rain effects has it’s own reflectivity which cannot be set to zero)
3 Likes