[RELEASE] Flight Recorder - Free replay tool

I have recently written a simple tool to record and replay my flight and would like to share it with the community.

2021-02-16

Download from our GitHub or FlightSim.to:

Features

• Record and replay in the sim
  • Change replaying speed
    • NOTE: when speeding up, your computer might not be able to load scenery fast enough and that will negatively affect frame rate.
  • Save recording into a file to replay later or on another computer
  • Export the recorded data into CSV for further analysis
  • Quickly jump to any time in your recording (you have to Pause Replay first)

Note: The tool records this list of variables from SimConnect Structs.cs for each sim frame. Some of them are only for analysis and display and don’t affect replay.

Current Limitations and Other Notes

• When starting a replay, your aircraft might be teleported to a far away location which doesn’t have loaded terrain. This means the ground can jump up/down really quickly and you might get a crash (not CTD) due to damaged landing gear. Disable crash detection might be a good idea if you frequently replay your flight.
  • I don’t know a reliable way to tell if an engine is running or not, so this tool does not auto-start the engine (because it doesn’t know when). Hence, you should start recording/replaying when engine is already running (or the aircraft will move without a running engine) and stop recording before turning off the engine (not really a problem, but the tool might not shut the engine down for you). Not doing that won’t prevent you from replaying or using any features, but replay can look like your aircraft is powered by magic ;).
  • Replay looks weird when turning on the ground. I’m not so sure what is happening there yet.
  • To prevent fighting with MSFS own calculation, the tool sends freeze command when you start replay and unfreeze when you stop replay.
    This means replaying might conflict with other tools leverating the same freeze feature (e.g. YourControl when you are not in control, other replay tools).

Issues

Please report any issues or feature request in GitHub Issues.

You can also join my Discord server for further discussion.

30 Likes

Thanks @biggathebeast for creating a very nice video showing all the basics of Flight Recorder.
If you are still wondering how the tool works, checkout his video and give him a like.

4 Likes

Flight Recorder version 0.9 is released on GitHub and flightsim.to with the following changes:

• Allow changing replay speed (NOTE: when speeding up your computer might not be able to load scenery fast enough and will negatively affect frame rate)
  • Enforce single instance
  • Improve chart rendering for long flight
  • Fix a crash when the time handle is drag to the last frame
8 Likes

Flight Recorder version 0.10 is released! You can download the new version from FlightSim.to or GitHub as usual.

Changes:

• Add a button to keep the tool on top
  • Fix artifact when rolling or pitching in acrobatics
  • Fix repeating toggling of switches in certain configuration in the A320
  • Fix crashes when trying to load invalid files
6 Likes

Flight Recorder version 0.11.1 is released! You can download the new version from FlightSim.to (don’t forget to leave an in love on the site :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:) or GitHub as usual.

Changes:

• Add x0.25 speed
  • Allow using certain functions when SimConnect is not connected
  • Add confirmation prompt when a recording can be lost/overwritten
  • Allow stopping replay while pausing
8 Likes