[RELEASE] KHPN - Westchester County Airport, White Plains, NY USA │V Pilot Designs

Picked it up…looks great! Nice addition to my library.

1 Like

Downloaded yesterday. Looks amazing, I was just there. Do they let you modify the windsocks? Irl they are red and light up at night.

1 Like

Thanks for your purchase. Hope you enjoy it.

1 Like

Blockquote

They can probably be modified. We’ll give it a try. Do you have any pictures of how they look IRL?

1 Like

sorry, I couldn’t find any at night that were good. It looks like a red windsock with a light bulb in it and small light on top of the red pole.
Thanks!

3 Likes

Thank you

Blockquote

Hey, I have a question: The airport for me is very unlevelled, the taxiways and runways are all up or downhill. I’m almost certain this isn’t the case with the RL airport. Do you think there’s a conflict with my addons or is it something I can workaround?

2 Likes

We have fix the issue. it was a conflict between the terraforming and the runway profiles and elevations. I have sent the updated package to MS/Asobo. We just gotta wait until they approve and publish it.

1 Like

I just bought this airport and immediately noticed the mesh faults, slopes, bumps, steps and gaps in the terrain, and after short lap around the airport in a 152 I learned that it’s really disturbing on approach too, it affects - ouch, my back - landings and is generally worse than the default airport - that’s what made me find this thread again.

Glad to hear you have fixed this issue, not glad to hear the fix will be rolled out via the MP because that means the product I just bought for a pretty premium price will get fixed only in weeks, if not months.

Maybe you can understand that my first impression isn’t exactly great, contributing to this is (in order of discovery) the default beacon lattice tower you recycled (BTW the new beacon on top of the control tower lacks the green sector) and shifted to a new place as a stand-in for whatever (light? antenna?) mast is supposed to be there, and the default taxiway lights on the airport. I could understand the latter, because KHPN apparently uses a similar type of lights (shorter rods of course) but that they can still be found ON the taxiway, on the yellow center line is pretty unacceptable for a payware airport.

Alarmed by this, I compared the taxiway signage to the default and to the current Jeppesen airport chart - of course it’s the same bogus taxiway designators Asobo uses, you may have shifted the signs a bit around here and there (without improving the usability) but it looks like it’s still the Asobo airport underneath.

So excuse my honest words but unless there was a terrible accident, it looks like you made very nice custom objects to replace the default buildings and then you shoveled a performance-impacting heap of 100% default assets on top to make it look busy and sold as an airport for a premium price what could be considered only half of an airport, because the stuff that matters aviation-wise is still all default Asobo and Asobo-wrong? How could that even end up more fractured than the current default airport? I’m sorry but for 18€ I would’ve expected what my other 18€-airports offer: correct taxiway designations propagated to ATC, sufficient signage to identify taxiways no matter what way you taxi, improved runway and taxiway textures and lighting, custom textured airport vehicles, rotating radar antennas… some airports lift the bar pretty high for 18 bucks.

I seriously hope I’m wrong or something went wrong and there is a good explanation for all this.

1 Like

@CaptainNuts2000 Thanks for your feedback as we are always happy to hear it. This helps us improve our addons. Some of the items you mention are small by they can be definitely fixed and improved. We are aware some of the taxiway lines and signage needs correction. All the work for this airport has been made based on research done in the internet (Photos, Documents, Videos, etc) and some of these documentation is not always up to date or accurate. We appreciate all the feedback and any other form of information (pictures, videos) from the community that would help us improve the addons. We believe this is the best KHPN ever done for a Flight Simulator and we would like to keep it that way.

Well, thank you for replying and I’m certainly glad to hear that you’re willing to improve that. However, I hope you understand that I have to say that this kind of R&D should’ve taken place before publishing the airport, otherwise the product should have been tagged with “early access” to avoid disappointment.

“Oh yeah, hm I’d be glad to help, alas I’m 4000 miles away from KHPN…umm…wait a minute…” ← that was honestly my reflex because I contributed to a few freeware projects in the past, and I know the difficulties obtaining data from a distance. But this isn’t a freeware project, it’s a commercial offer in the tier 2 price category and asking your customers for help to finish the product they paid for can be interpreted as a sign that you were biting off more than you can chew, to pick the least hostile interpretation.

Well, I’ll leave it at that, I feel actually quite terrible for having to tell you off. I don’t really care about the money, but I care about disappointment and I care about feeling bad for having this conversation.

1. :exploding_head: and 2. we believe we were taxiing really carefully into the trench at RWY 34 of the best KHPN ever done for a flight simulator but still the undercarriage collapsed according to the message ending the flight prematurely.

Terrain bug fix update went live yesterday at 1800PST

1 Like

I’m getting a major fps hit at this airport, especially near the GA ramp. I think it might have to do with the static parked aircraft. In the SDK, when placing parked aircraft, you have the option to add the generic AI models which are frame rate friendly, or you can add the full model which is basically what is used to fly. Many of the aircraft I see on the GA ramp are the full model versions, with full cockpits and moving parts (if you look in them, the screens are even lit up). There’s so many I think it’s killing the fps.

Is it possible you can remove the fully modeled aircraft and replace them with the AI traffic versions? That should mitigate the performance hit I’m seeing.

1 Like

Ahhhh. Do you have Travis Airforce Base by them too? I’m wondering if that is the same problem with that one. I reported to them I was having severe performance issues on XBox with that airport, they told me there is no problem with it. I’m wondering if while they look at Westchester they can also review Travis for the same type of fix.

This is the only airport I have by them. I ran into this issue while I was developing my own airport and realized what it was. Luckily, it’s not a difficult fix.

Hello, that is something that can definitely be done. We will modify the static traffic for a future update. Thanks for letting us know

3 Likes

Hello, Travis does not have any simobjects airplanes in the platform. All the airplanes in the platform are completely static and do not affect the performance.

Ok, well I know you keep telling me I don’t have a performance issue, but I still have a performance issue. I haven’t asked for a refund despite the performance issues, all I am asking is that the airport be looked at to shave off something that seems to be tipping performance negatively for me. This customer was able to determine a specific change that could be made that would help him with this airport, I’m not qualified to be able to give a definite solution. I wouldn’t know where to begin. But I am starting to feel like if I don’t have a specific thing for you to look at, I keep being brushed off by being told I don’t have a problem.

My suggestion is to try and determine if there’s a specific part of the airport that seems worse than other parts. Get in the drone camera, enable some sort of fps counter and pan around to see if you can pinpoint a direction that drops fps more than others.

It could be many things such as very large textures being used, a building modeled with way too many sides/vertices, parked static aircraft, or it could be something else entirely that has nothing to do with the specific add-on.

Definitely remove everything from your community folder except the add-on in question and see if you have the same result.

Also, post your system specs including CPU, ram and your GPU specs including amount of VRAM. VRAM is extremely important when it comes to troubleshooting scenery add-ons.

I’m on XBox, and my TV doesn’t have a FPS counter.

I guess I will wait until someone else also has issue with Travis, then suggests something for them to fix. This developer I’ve seen with two people that have specific suggestions for Westchester, they are very accomodating. I’m sure it will be fixed at some point. But since I don’t have a suggestion on what to address, I get nowhere with them and told I don’t have a performance issue.

1 Like