Release: MilViz Pilatus PC-6 Turbo Porter

Hi all,

We do need a consolidated thread for discussion of this aircraft, so here is my attempt to get a new one going considering the last one was locked due to excessive discussion of DRM and some rule violations. SO, please refrain from talking about the DRM here (I think there is a new thread on this topic that’s completely separate)… With this, here are some new pics and my own first impressions:

This aircraft (much like the Corsair) is nothing short of a work of art. It’s absolutely mind-blowing how satisfying it is to fly! Everything from the artwork - textures, etc are VERY well done. I don’t know about the sound level in a real aircraft, but it seems VERY soft. I was pleasantly surprised with what I saw and (this will be the ONLY time I mention DRM), the DRM - as much as it’s not ideal in implementation is ABSOLUTELY worth it - the aircraft you get and the future MilViz products… well, it’s something I can live with with a 28 Mb RAM footprint.

I want to thank the MilViz team for the tremendous work done here, looking forward to the Phase II (which is essentially a future free expansion for the current owners of the aircraft) and as a separate note, @Krazycolin - you guys are obviously proud of this and you SHOULD BE. It’s unfortunate that the DRM issue ended up being such a center of attention, because there is so much more to talk about here. I spoke my peace in the other thread on the DRM - perhaps the future will see a certain adjustment of how it’s handled, but in terms of literally EVERYHING else, I couldn’t be happier that I looked past all that and purchased this. You guys didn’t disappoint once again. So, thank you for this beauty. Cheers.

27 Likes

To be clear - user to user comments about DRM or any other aspect of the product are allowed.

It’s when people should be opening a ticket or sending an email to MilViz about DRM or any other aspect of the product, but instead choose to vent their spleen here hoping to goad a response from the vendor - usually in a manner not compliant with the Code of Conduct - that’s NOT ACCEPTABLE.

In short, if you’re expecting a direct response on this board from the vendor because you don’t like DRM or you haven’t received an activation email or any other inquiry that constitutes a Customer Service or Custom Complaint - Don’t. That’s not allowed here. Send an e-mail to info at milviz dot com.

Otherwise, carry on.

8 Likes

Buying a product with DRM is a personal choice (unless it is built into your operating system of course) but for some reason it is a topic (a bit like real world vaccines) that people seem to want to get evangelical about and announce their personal choices loudly to the world.

What I am personally interested in with this product is how good is it and how it compares and differs from the competition. If both products are good and they differ enough I may even buy both.

Information I would like to see from the developer include things like an estimated time scale for the Stage 2 (next month? late 2021? sometime in 2022? etc) and if possible an indication of the rough price difference if I wait and see how the dust settles.

2 Likes

I like it a lot so far. It is very detailed and it is a very good alternative to Asobo turboprops.
My only issue right now is the tendency of the plane to steer right and left during take off (and landing too). Will try to adjust the pedals. Maybe someone knows the trick.

Also is there was some kind of plane management system (seeing the wear and tear when abusing the engine etc.) like done with the Hot Start TBM, it would be great.

2 Likes

It’s easily the best turboprob in the sim to date!

Make sure you trim the rudder full right for take off as per the User Guide. Also don’t forget to engage the tail wheel lock before rolling (Shift+G by default)

6 Likes

DRM = ??
Can you please explain this schortcut. Thank you.

1 Like

How’s the turboprop engine modelling in this one, does it behave as expected / to the POH numbers?

Lock your tailwheel for T/O. Make shure keeping you tailwheel on the ground as long as possible. Pull untill you are in the air and only then lower your nose.
When landing, the same. Tailwheel locked. About 60 KN. Pull and keep you nose up to bring the tailwheel on the ground. Only brake with reverse thrust. Use breakes only for taxy, (with tailwheel unlocked)

With this technique you will enjoy very short landings and takeoffs. And you can forgett the rudder trim, just use it for strong sidewinds.

I enjoyed this aircraft ever since it was on the market (P3D). But the MSFS version is better.

6 Likes

I really like the porter and is looking foreward to the next bush plane from Milviz, the Beaver.
There Beaver in P3D was good.

Hopefully Asobo fixes the taildragger/ground friction problem soon, since this is obviously a work around which presently applies to basically all taildraggers in MSFS.
IRL you let the tail come up with neutral stick and the PC-6 flies of the runway on its own.

4 Likes

Thank you for starting a fresh topic. The other one wasn’t giving people any information about the actual aircraft.

The only thing I’ll say about the DRM is that it uses the same amount of resources that Navigraph Simlink uses for me, so it’s really not a big deal.

I really like the aircraft, and I’m really excited about the upcoming improvements and features.

@EbiPilot may I ask a silly question? How do you lock the tail wheel? Ever since they changed the tooltips to be more intrusive, I’ve kept them off…this has the unfortunate side affect of causing me to struggle with finding some stuff…or simply knowing what unlabeled switches do…

1 Like

It’s to the lower left of the pilot seat. It’s a bar.

3 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

Just did an ultimate test of the beta range - landing on Locher (free add-on from Flightsim.to - if you DON’T have it, you are missing out on one of the most challenging/fun approaches in the world - there is a real world video of the approach on YouTube, very precise procedure, involves overflying a church and watching out for the three sets of power cables between the mountains on your way down. Also includes the crazy taxi ramp downhill). This aircraft is nothing short of phenomenal. Best purchase since PMDG DC-6.

5 Likes

The freeware Valdez scenery where real world STOL completions are held annually is another good testing ground for measuring those ground roll distances on takeoff and landing in the Porter:

Digital Rights Management. Just a fancy name for anti-piracy tools.

2 Likes

Thank you!

Apparently, SWS is also working an a PC-6…so I guess we’ll have 3 of them? No wonder Milviz wanted to get theirs out there first.

That’s a Kodiak 100. Very similar for the looks, but not the same.

1 Like

This is what I’m basing it on.

4 Likes