[RELEASE] SMOKE ON! AirshowAssistant toolbar v2.8.1 | TouchingCloud

Category Options
Creator TouchingCloud
Category toolbar
Cost $4.99
Release date 14th December 2023
Release platform PC&XBOX
Marketplace ingame MSFS

Heyo! I am Alex, TouchingCloud founder. You probably don’t know me, but I have been in MSFS add-ons development and modding since the release. Several years ago, when Asobo made available visual effects editor for 3rd party developers, I was quick enough to play with this editor, make some tutorials, and release various effects projects for other devs to use in their aircraft (Effects Editor - tutorials and effects library project). If your favourite airplane has aerobatic smoke - it’s probably mine, or at least my project was used as a template.

However, the fact that effects should be injected into aircraft code by developers makes them unavailable for most end users. Took a while to find the way to break this limitation and here we are - smoke effects can be applied to any aircraft in a single click. Size, color, density - make it look like you want with sliders drag. Even if this method has limitations (like no multiplayer support), it’s still the most user friendly solution for visual effects injection you have ever seen. We are still working on these tool improvements, you can expect new features to be added in the future (will be announced once there will be something to show), so wait until it is completely finished if you want to have a complete and stable product.

Full list of available features you can find in the tutorial.
These are: 3 types of smoke (short, ribbon and aerobatics), pyro sparks, flare decoys.
On this page you also can find a demo version of the tool - right now it has very same features as payware one, but later some limitations may be applied (or may be not - depends how good sales will be).

Special thanks I would like to say to the @FastTimeVero YT creator. Not only for tool demo videos, but actual help in development - more than a month we worked hard to make these features work and look in a best way, his help as a tester and adviser was really helpful. I believe that is a perfect example where content creator critics read not as complaints, but as guidance for the better product. You can find many examples of how this tool works on FastTimesVero YT, but please remember that all past videos were in “work in progress” state.

And now most important: known issues list, quite long so don’t purchase if some of these are critical for you.

• multiplayer mode is not supported, you are the only one who will see smokes and flares, created by AirshowAssistant
  • after add-on installation or update you have ot restart MSFS to make WASM script work; for XBOX - also remove it from Quick resume list. it’s system limitation and unlikely will be ever fixed
  • significant FPS drop when TRAIL smoke used or much flares launched
  • smoke may visually shake, mostly during low level flight or when flare touch the ground
  • pyro sparks partially visible at certain angles of view
  • flares does not have smoke trail during replay by Asobo replay tool
  • some UI elements not clickable because of too wide resize border (only when cursor controlled by gamepad)
  • you may lost access to your presets in case of failed MSFS update (together with accessibility settings); if it happen, type the name you had before in the field near to SAVE button, press SAVE during flight on any aircraft, send a message to us with request to copy your old presets to your new ID
  • presets can’t be saved/loaded during flight on specific aircraft, in this case toggle VALID button and press SAVE, then send a message with request to investigate issue (name aircraft and name)
  • flares light up the cockpit

11 Likes

And here it is first tutorial

Attention, XBOX users!

I have seen several reports about red screen “WASM script is not running” error, let me show you an example how to fix it.

When you just install add-on from MSFS marketplace, you need to restart the game. Opening main screen and going back is not enough - it stays in the memory (“Quick resume” mode). You have to quit it once, then launch from scratch and issue will be sorted. It’s not some bug but the way how MSFS works - WASM script should be compiled after installation and loaded into virtual file system during game loading.

To close the game:

1. press Xbox button
  2. Select MSFS from the games list
  3. Press Start button
  4. select Quit and press A
  5. Launch MSFS, you will go through loading screen instead of quick resume

Important update for Xbox users mostly. I have get several reports about permanent/random red screen WASM error appearance, which can’t be solved by game quit technique.
изображение

Problem that Xbox does not have debugging instruments for 3rd party developers, and we can only guess about such issues. For now it looks like Airshow WASM script trying to insert a custom object into the sim (which is required for smokes and flares to appear), but the system declines it if too many scenery objects already exist. I can apply a workaround and additional error messages which, possibly, will make this problem less critical, but it was late to submit a new update to the MS team for the next release so you can expect it only 4th January.

If you have this specific or similar issue, please be patient - it will be sorted eventually, it just takes time because of how the Marketplace release system works. Also please provide additional info about your problem here so it will help to find possible solutions.

Enjoy your holidays, and fly safe!

First update (v.1.1) is ready! You can expect it to appear in MSFS Marketplace 11th Jan (if no major problems will be discovered during testing). PC users can get it from our website.

Issues fixed:

• radar or collision awareness indication (smokes source invisible object not inserted until smoke is enabled)
  • critical performance drop while a lot of flares launched
  • red screen WASM error never disappear
  • dark flare sphere appear in front of glare texture
  • color picker overlaps with resize border of window
  • some smokes disappear at short distance
  • flares launch interval is too long
  • flares false hotkey launch while aircraft is on the ground

Don’t forget to submit bugs and wishes here

1 Like

AirshowAssistant v2.0 is ready!

You are able now to spawn up to 3 wingmen (same aircraft model/livery due to SDK issue). Separate formation and interval selectors both for flying and landing/take off procedures. Adjustable wingmen behaviour - latency, accuracy, acceleration and manoeuvrability controls.

Same smoke applied to each formation plane, as smokes system not designed for individual adjustments. Flares applied only to a main aircraft but will be added or others as well in further updates.

We are planning to add presets system for each tab - smokes, flares and formations. You will be able to make a collection of config presets, order them properly, and then jump from one to another by a hotkey during flight for ultimate air show experience.

PC users - https://msfs.touching.cloud/mods/airshowassistant/

PC/Xbox Marketplace - 29.02.2024

1 Like

AirshowAssistant v.2.1.0 is out! You can consider it as stable, so it will be posted to MS team for next week marketplace release.

Improvements:

– wingmen flaps animation

– aircraft variation name stored for future wingmen aircraft selector

– better log messages appearance

– additional buttons to toggle wingmen animations (engine, control surfaces, avionics) for possible FPS improvement

Issues fixed:

– inaccurate wingmen engine thrust control

– smoke gap appear for wingmen aircraft

– wingmen cause stuttering due to intensive data exchange

short review by @msfsofficial