[RELEASED] Aeroplane Heaven Spitfire Mk1

Well, to sum up on brakes, we cannot do any more. The code is correct and follows the SDK. Under test we have behaviour of the needles as I believe they should be. Right rudder and brake, the right needle moves up with the second following slowly until rudder is centred. Ditto other side. The wheel castors as it should and is no way connected to the rudder. There is no other way to code all this, folllowing the official SDK.

2 Likes

Agree. Itā€™s absolutely a limitation of the MSFS SDK. How it should work is how it behaves above in x-plane i.e. the greater the movement of either right or left rudder, the less pressure (air released) is applied to the opposing wheel brake. There should be no ā€˜creepā€™, or as is presently the case a rapid swing to where both brakes are locked as if no rudder had been applied.
Thank you for your patience. Itā€™s obviously not your modelling/coding.

I canā€™t speak to the SDK limitations, but I would suggest you correct the left brake and right brake bindings so they donā€™t turn the opposite way.

We have done further work on the brakes and now have ā€œcorrectā€ differential braking.
So, if you are moving at a speed below around 20 -25 mph, you will have little to no rudder authority. To turn, apply brakes and use the rudder to turn. Also, the castoring tailwheel assists once the turn is executed so the turn will continue for a short distance without the need for brakes. Above 25 mph you will begin to have rudder authority and braking will not be necessary. This, of course would be at the start of a takeoff roll. It takes a bit of getting used to but it all works.

3 Likes

Great! Looking forward to a patch! May I ask how the brakes are applied? By either toe brake (doesnā€™t matter which as long as the effect is the same) - or by a universal brake key binding (that operates the brake and control stick lever)?

We have coded it so that the brakes are applied via whatever method you want followed by rudder input, again, by whatever method you are used to. I use an old Logitech stick with a twist handle. I have mapped the fire trigger to brakes and twist control for rudder. By squeezing the trigger and twisting the process is really easy to turn the Spit on the ground.

5 Likes

Great to see this being tweaked - Thanks for your work!

Are you going to fix the quickview camera views at all?

1 Like

And please, correct the slipt/turn indicator and the turning direction of the rudder trim knob. A wonderful aircraft like this Mk1A deserves ironing out these issues as well.

Are you going to fix the quickview camera views at all?

Because they are unusable. I look left or right, and I get a wonderful close up of the inside, instead of the standard view looking outside the wing. How hard is that to test?

Do you get different behaviour on other planes?

i stopped to fly in this wonderful model only because of flickering glass patch on the canopy, please fix this

1 Like

Yes. The standard quickviews in MSFS are to look left and right along the wing. The quickviews are set by other devs in the config files in their own planes. Most are correct, some get tweaked by 3rd party camera packs. But the basic views are pretty standard.

I reported this to their support, before the first patch, and it was acknowledged it was their fault, but then they released a patch without even fixing them.

Their admission from support: "Aaah theres the issue, on us. We changed out POV controls to be more like FSX/P3d and thought most people have done that rather than the stock assignations. Iā€™ll look into the quick views stock cameras. "

KInd of a basic UX test for MSFS functionality. Why you would think ā€œmost peopleā€ would set ā€œPOV controls to be more like FSX/P3dā€ I have no idea, but itā€™s a bad assumption to make. MSFS is itā€™s own product, things should be done according to its own aircraft standards, not based on some assumed subset of users from previous flight simulators.

2 Likes

@FeasibleEight90 do you know when you will release the new patch? :slight_smile:

We are hoping for this coming week. We have fixed the quick views, turn and slip, added engine overheat failure and quite a bit more. The flickering glass we have reduced as much as we can. The problem stems from overlaying two glass textures when the canopy is over the rear fixed window. There is a known issue with the sim in this area of glass overlay and hopefully will be addressed in SU6. Weā€™ve done our best, for now, to reduce the effect. We will probably need to release another upgrade then anyway due to some more changes we have heard of, in the SDK.

5 Likes

Excellent news. Thanks for the update. Looking forward to it.

1 Like

Sounds great!

Does this also fix the MP sounds? Cant hear anything outside when in the cockpit and also cant hear any other MK 1Aā€™s sounds either, absolutely nothing.

Been using that new Duxford scenery, a lot of Spitfires are there, all I can hear are the FI IX spits, not the MK1Aā€™s

Is this or the Electra coming to the store soon? Excited to buy and fly them both

No word of any marketplace listing but you can get both at the Orbx Store.