[RELEASED] Discus-2c | Got Friends

Let’s ask our Beta Testers!

5 Likes

That looks good! Can we output NMEA position stream from MSFS?

Unsure what features that entails exactly. Something we can look into though!

Looks awesome, can’t wait to try it out should be interesting with no experience at all with gliders :grin:

Can I ask how thermals work in msfs?

1 Like

I only used upwinds with the c152 on the wind facing side of mountains.
But I don’t know if there are real thermals in MSFS.

@DigitalJonx , as much as I appreciate the gesture of you sitting in front of the computer at midnight on New Year’s Eve and posting the download, I will be celebrating at that time and not sitting in front of the computer. You and the team should do the same. I’m also super excited about the Discus, but I won’t be flying until late afternoon on the 1st at the earliest, when I’m feeling better. :face_with_hand_over_mouth: I think that’s how most people feel. Have a good start into the new year '22!

1 Like

Don’t Worry Alex!

We have it automatically set to release on Flightsim.to (It is already uploaded and pending release). We don’t have to do anything but sit with our families and enjoy the night! Happy New Years!

10 Likes

Released!!

10 Likes

Not yet available…

### File unavailable
This file is currently pending approval - maybe the file is broken or not working or needs to be approved. We kindly ask for patience while the file is not available for download currently.
:grimacing:

I was seeing that same message, but after refreshing it was available and am downloading now. Can’t wait to go soaring!

1 Like

Downloading now. :grinning:

1 Like

Downloaded
:slightly_smiling_face:

I must say it’s beyond great to be back in a glider. All my hours IRL are in gliders and haven’t been able to get in the sky much since all that covid came about.

This is some great work! Been in it for nearly two hours now. One flight… Still flying too. Just grabbed my phone out to say how much I’m loving it and appreciative of all the work thats gone into this amazing bird.

Thanks all at GotFriends! What a way to start the new year!

5 Likes

50 years ago, I started to fly and learn to fly with Blanik Glider from Czech.

At this point, my wish was to fly a passenger plane like the 747!

Today I think the “real” flight, like a bird, is only possible with simple planes, without engines and without complicated avionics.

Today “Discus-2c Glider” from Gotfriends was released as freeware in “flightsim.to”. A very good glider, with a modern design and devices such as winch launch control and digital variometer that you can experience real flights with it.

9 Likes

Does anybody know how to add more altitude to the winch? Seems like 2000 meters is the maximum allowed by the winch.

Hi, and happy new year to all especially to the great folks at Gotfriends for their wonderful Discus 2c!
Just did my first flight with it from LOWI to LOIJ using the built in winch launcher and some southerly winds. (Foehn)
What a wonderful experience!
Thank you so much for this beautiful gift to the community!

4 Likes

Just downloaded it 2 hours ago. Two words: Love it!
To all that haven’t downloaded it yet, make sure you do.
As mentioned before, I have quite some hours in real life on the gliders.
When I was soaring in the meantime on the pc I used to have condor 1, and version 2 later.
Altough I never flew the discus in real life, the soaring trough the alps I did today, felt great and will give a lot of joy in the time to come. Its a great way to experience glider flying, for the advanced as well as the beginner pilot. Especially with the magnificent scenery from MSFS.
Well done Gotfriends!
Thanks for this beauty and a happy new year

5 Likes

I just had my 30 minutes flight. Really awesome!

I don’t know much about soaring. So I did read a little and watched some YT videos. I was not able to find information on the water ballast. What is it for? How you should handle it? When to empty the water tanks?

1 Like

Hey! Thank you for the support. Higher Ballast weight increase speed but decrease lift ability. A lot of individuals like to drop Ballast to around 75% weight prior to flight (either with the handle or weight loadout menu). This is completely based on your preference, weather conditions, flight plan and pilot weight.

Once your flight is nearing its end, you’ll need to open your Ballast valve and dump all water weight. This takes around 6.5 minutes and will ease your landing, decrease your roll distance, slow you down, and (in real life) prevent any unnecessary damage caused by landing with full weight.

4 Likes

I just tried the Discus-2c glider/gliding today for the first time. Had a lot of fun, way more than I expected over the Swiss Alps. I ended up with a smooth but too fast landing that had the glider pivoting around after using the wheel brake too much while trying to slow down and I was thinking I had missed something, and didn’t know about ballast aspect. I did find the spoilers very useful though!
Lovely glider, and thank you for your the hard work producing it. Everyone should be giving it a try out, it’s a lot of fun. :+1:

4 Likes