Released: MD-80

No, you make a good point about the store exclusivity. I just thought the affinity to the marketplace was an interesting choice as it historically does not receive the most attention in terms of updates as most of the other popular avenues. That said, I am typically an advocate for choice.

I didn’t facepalm the concept, it was a facepalm for the the use of the word “welp”. It’s not a word, it’s child’s interpretation of the word “well”, which actually is a word. Sorry, it’s one of my pet peeves and I’m seeing it everywhere now. It’s taken over the top spot for me which used to be “irregardless”.

3 Likes

Gotcha. All good :+1:

As a side note, I can imagine Just Flight guys passing by here and saying to themselves “What??? Everybody did a s***storm on us when we announced our initial price for the 146 to the point we reduced it and they don’t even complain here and they’re going to get away with 75€? We should have hold tighter :sob::joy:

3 Likes

Nope two very different product worlds IMO…I don’t feel Leonardo’s product can even be compared to any other devs. The Maddog really just sits out on its own…with devs, quality, pricing and consumer base following from prior sims. Leonardo has their own very unique history with their consumer base, to where a price point could never be blanketed over other products in comparison.
Not saying a JF or PMDG product is better or worse…but simply NOT THE Leonardo Maddog when it comes to price perception, product history and heavy consumer following into MSFS from past sim platforms.

6 Likes

Think Ill wait a while because of the cost.

3 Likes

I don’t want to brag or anything, and I’m not questioning your motives to say this but I’d be interested that you develop your point further as I’m really interested into the MD-80. I use to have the Rotate MD80 on Xplane, and if there was ONE single plane I would have had to keep, it would have been the MD80 (this is how I love that plane)!

However I have a hard time “deciphering” what you implies here. You say:

What makes it so special if it’s not better than, say, a PMDG for example? Because you seems to implies that somehow Leonardo’s plane have something to them that goes further than everything else. :slight_smile:

In other words, would you be kind enough to elaborate? I’m interested :wink:

“I don’t feel Leonardo’s product can even be compared to any other devs” is quite a statement…

2 Likes

The Leonardo MD80 is the pinnacle simulation of an airframe they know inside and out. They’ve been doing this for awhile now, working exclusively on the MD80, dating back to at least 15 years (I still have my copy of Maddog 06)

The JF Bae 146 is just one product from Just Flight, which will probably receive solid support/updates initially but then they will move on to other projects as time goes on the focus will shift elsewhere. That’s fully understandable. Some perspective: The last update on the Bae146 for P3D was on AUG12 2021. That was the 8th update for the Aircraft. The previous seven updates (or hot fixes) were during the first 30 days since RTM, some sort of hyper-care support for a new product if you will.

The same can not be said about Leonardo MD80, the constant output of features and fixes are insane. It’s truly a dynamic platform. Leonardo’s super focus is MD80…this one specific “only child” product is “nourished and babied” and gets all the R&D and Quality Control time for the ongoing duration of product polishing and consumer feedback.

10 Likes

Day 1 purchase for me. Well done to the dev team. I stopped using the in sim marketplace anyway, simmarket sounds good to me.

1 Like

I’ve only ever flown the Rotate Md80. Out of interest what makes the Leonardo MD80 different/better?

Loved Rotate’s version and only didn’t pick up Leonardo’s as I had moved over to X-Plane 11 as soon as it released.

I always loved how you could storm the MD80 through a STAR at 250kts and slow down in a heartbeat. It made the sedate 737/a320 approaches look like carriage rides in the park after tea.

1 Like

Thanks for your input! In other words, seeing that the MD-80 is my ultimate beloved plane to have in sims, I daresay that you’ll agree with me that according to you there cannot be a better news for me, lol. As it will be a product constantly evolving way after release.

This will definitely and rapidly end up in my MSFS hangar… :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

As far as a Rotate MD80 and XPlane I don’t have any idea nor experience with such product and I’m specifically speaking on Leonardo and their prior sim(FS2004/FSX/P3D) platform product following and reputation that is carrying on into MSFS in regards to competitive initial release pricing from other devs/companies.

1 Like

Too expensive for me. Mainly because I fly 2-3 hours a week max so paying that much for one plane is not worth it for me. Used simmarket before with p3d and found them easy to use so no concerns there.

3 Likes

I remember in FSX the MD-82 always felt like a step above the PMDG 737, I think it will be interesting how the new releases will be. Personally I’m more excited about the Maddog, but I guess thats more because of the plane itself. Surprised that its released this week, thought it would take longer!

2 Likes

I guess they were pretty much ready and saw there was a surge of airliners news with PMDG 737 going everywhere on youtube meaning it’s probably not long before release, plus the 146 on the vintage era, and decided to release before them, which is a clever move, as the 737 will have a lot of buyers going crazy over it, despite the -800 releasing later on. Everybody is dying for good airliners, it’s been so long.

The plane I’ve been waiting for more than any other. Next week is going to be fun.

1 Like

same here! My most awaited plane to be made in msfs and it’s going to be the first high level liner to be released. I’m feeling lucky

I am after this plane for quite a while but then the price is kinda steep…

4 Likes

Same

No in-game marketplace no buy

6 Likes

In marketplace, no buy. I guess for this plane I buy!

2 Likes

Maybe, but less people complaining about the price can also mean less interest in the product. Personally, I have no interest in airliners. I wasn’t going to buy the 146 but the price reduction changed my mind. I’ll buy it for the VIP configuration. I haven’t decided if I’ll buy the 737 since I don’t know the price, but if I do, it’ll be for the BBJ variant.

For me, the price is relative to how much interest I have in the product. I’ll easily pay over $100 for a good business jet, but I won’t pay that for an airliner. I haven’t complained about the MD-80 price because it doesn’t bother me to not buy it.

4 Likes