[RELEASED NOW] D-DAY 1944 Normandy Airfield collection

Introducing Sundowners Simulations - the newest partner to join the Miltech Simulations family. Sundowners specializes in representing historical Military Airfields and Sceneries in a great amount of detail and accuracy. Watch out for the release of their first product: D-DAY 1944 Normandy Airfield collection

Don’t worry for our 80’s modern era military aficionados, we got something else coming !!
Subscribe and like our page for more upcoming news !

14 Likes

That looks really awesome

This looks great! Is there a link to the website etc?

I love this concept. I seriously hope the theme expands to include WWII-era fields around other theaters too, especially some of the iconic Pacific theater airfields. There are nice freeware sceneries for Wake and Midway Islands, but the scenery developer neglected to include any parking spaces for cold and dark starts and hasn’t updated the sceneries since release. It would be wonderful to see similar fields for the Solomon Islands, the Philippines, Tinian, Bougainville or other historically significant airfields in the region for those of us who love flying warbirds in the sim.

Products have not been released yet, but it will be available at store.miltechsimulations.com, ORBX and the MS Marketplace

The development team behind DDay Normandy Airfields is the same team behind the Wake and Midway sceneries. These will be updated and re-released as Freeware soon.

1 Like

Sounds interesting. Cheers.

That is great news. Thank you for passing it along!

This is great. I’m looking forward to this on Xbox.
Keep ‘em coming

Lantheuil/Creully, Normandie, France.

A historically-accurate scenery by Sundowners Simulations

Releasing Friday for MSFS. store.miltechsimulations.com

6 Likes

This is just WOW! Really looking forward to this.

1944 Lantheuil/Creuilly RELEASED for MSFS [10% OFF FOR A LIMITED TIME]

Advance Landing Ground B-9, located in Lantheuil/Creuilly, during Summer 1944 was an airstrip used by the Allies during WWII to launch air attacks and supply drops. The airfields were strategically placed along the enemy frontlines, providing a quick and flexible response from Allied forces.

Advanced Landing Ground B-9 played an important role in WW2 air operations, providing a strategic base for Allied forces to launch raids and secure air supremacy.

This Historically accurate Aerial imagery was reconstructed from actual reconnaissance pictures from 1944 by the talented team at Sundowners Simulation

Available now at https://store.miltechsimulations.com/…/1944-lantheuil… - 10% Off for a limited time!

2 Likes

Hmm, it might finally be time to buy the Spitfire.

1 Like

@LikedHare478430 I think this a really interesting new avenue for scenery design but there is one issue with the release that I thought you might want to be aware of.

As has been modelled, 143 Wing of the RAF’s 2nd Tactical Air Force, operated from B9 in June 1944.

However, none of its vehicles would have been painted RAF blue / grey.

By this stage of the war all RAF vehicles, especially those belonging to new formations which were operating in frontline areas, such as 2TAF, would have been camouflaged.

For more information, the contributions from Ted Angus in this Historic Military Vehicles Forum thread provide details of the changes to RAF vehicle colour schemes between 1939 and 1945.

They would also be relevant to any other wartime RAF airfields you are thinking about developing (I have a list of you are collecting requests!).

I hope this is helpful in making the addon even more accurate.

Thanks for the info - I’ll pass this on to the dev team to be fixed in an update :slight_smile:

As for future projects - please let us know your ideas! The team is planning a few more airstrips in the Normandy area

1 Like

Happy to help. :grinning:

Top of my personal wishlist would be RAF Hunsdon as at 1944, home at that time to 2TAF’'s 140 Wing, flying Mosquitos.