[RELEASED on PC] Wedell-Williams Model 44 Racer (freeware)

Those repaints are fantastic!

I am happy to announce an update the Model 44 fixing the engine sounds and prop disc blur textures. It’s not perfect, but you should notice a big difference.

3 Likes

Definitely a big difference - really nice ‘clanky’ radial sounds, especially at idle. In my own configuration, I’ve taken the liberty to leave the starter/startup (that fit neatly with your startup smoke) and shutdown sounds from the Vega. Love this plane. Thank you again.

I have installed the update but now I don’t have the Gilmore livery and the others are not working properly - all that is visible is the cockpit when viewed in the aircraft selection hangar.
I can use the two Navy liveries that JanKees provided though -
** Having flown it with one of those new liveries I will say that engine sounds and new prop textures are all much much better than the initial ones. Thank You

I have the same problem, but only in the hangar, they do show up in the sim

The texture problem is solved, just download my textures again, and while you are at it, have a look at this one:
jk4196 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

4 Likes

Wow - that looks GOOD
JanKees is there any chance you could add the Lafayete Escadrille insignia to the fuselage?
039ff46dd668ee3b3a995465e06440ca

The Sioux Chief maybe with a diagonal red fuselage band underlying it?
I’m thinking of the AAC Curtiss P-36

That’s awesome!

Some background reading on pby5a’s repaint, it was a real proposal!

1 Like

Well my stick finally arrived and I’ve had a couple of short fun flights in this and it’s really quite good. Better than some of the payware planes out there. The Model 44 will definitely have a permanent home in my virtual hangar.

1 Like

Has anyone picked this up on the Xbox this week? Interested in any views on how well it works on the console.

Is the Marketplace release an update of @Sal1800’s awesome plane, or someone else who made the same aircraft?

Sal, if it’s yours, can you give us details on what’s changed from the freeware?

I just bought the payware version, it’s definitely Sal’s model. The textures were redone which makes it look much better in my opinion.

Freeware version:

Payware version:

I only did a very short flight, I think the flight model may have received some tweaking, from memory the freeware version didn’t feel quite as agile. The sounds are different to the freeware version too and could be stock ones.

I’m a bit surprised that the payware version has currently less features than the freeware one. There is no smooth engine cowl available and neither the modern cockpit version. I really hope that will be updated in the future.

Interesting. What is the developer name of it in the store then? Strange it doesn’t have at least the same features though. And “lesser” audio. Wonder why.

Is it a sign they have started to accept new developers though?

The developer is listed as Dreamscenery, who also releases all the night light enhancements. I wonder if they are working with Sal or bought his model. It’s definitely a bit strange that it has less features. I think in its current form it’s probably more useful for Xbox users who can’t get the freeware version.

This is the first I have heard of it. So not related to me at all. I do publish my planes under an open source license, so fair game. This is sort of the intent, to allow others to extend upon my work.

If it makes it available to more players, seems like a good thing.

1 Like

You should be the one earning from your hard work though :worried:

2 Likes

The reason I have been developing MSFS planes is so I can fly exactly what I want. Sharing them with the community helps give me motivation to experiment with new ideas and learn how to improve my skills. I don’t need a second job.

But it’s nice to see the videos and nice comments.

I actually make more stuff than I could release myself and a lot of that gets shared with other developers. There’s another Maule being worked on that I gave the entire panel with all the coding. I’m sure they are going to make that into something real nice.

I did give out Blender files to anyone asking, so this Marketplace version was certainly approved even if I don’t recall the details.

8 Likes

Thanks for the background, @Sal1800! Love your attitude about sharing with the community. There are precious few top-quality freeware planes on MSFS compared to earlier platforms, and I so appreciate the efforts of folks like you, Got Friends, and @LagaffeVFR5476 who give the community chances to experience cool new planes without having to drop $15-50.* (Payware is awesome too, but it’s great to see a mix so that people can try a variety of different planes without a huge investment.)

And this release allows Xbox users to experience the plane, so that’s awesome.

Glad to hear this has your blessing!

1 Like