[Released] Wing42 Boeing 247D

The Orbx central app automatically updates all addons from the Orbx store automatically regardless of developer. It sort of offers the convenience of the marketplace without all the downsides.

7 Likes

Great message, good to get the acknowledgement of everything mentioned here, and I’ll be patient with you :wink: In the meantime, we can still enjoy this beautiful machine in its current condition!

2 Likes

Thanks. Otmar and the Wing42 team

Greetings to all aviation lovers

3 Likes

That’s great news. I tried to purchase via your Pay Pal link to no avail. So as soon as it’s on Marketplace will be purchasing.

1 Like

Nice message Ottmar!
Im my mind you and your team made an accomplishment on par with the DC-6 and in parts you went beyond that!
Fully trustful that you will get done what has to be done by doing it the way YOU think it has to be done!
Keep on rocking!

1 Like

Otmar this plane is so immersive, it hurts to shut it down after a flight. I was on your Vega back in p3d already and it was a beauty back then. But this one is just amazing. I have already 8 hours under VA pirep tool on the B247 and it is just plain fun. Just as an example on my last flight I noticed that my radio was dead… ok, checked the radio fuse box while already on approach but they were fine… then the gear didn’t go down… ok… emergency hand pumping the gear down and just made it… now look at the mess in the main fuse box… generator and two others burned… battery prob died early in this flight without noticing… better watch the systems with more care next time…

I simply just love it. Thanks to your and your teams hard work!
Cheers
T.

8 Likes

I wonder what should we do when we use out all of those spare parts in fuse box! :grinning:

Great airplane!

Beside the issues have been discussed, I wish the engines would be a bit louder and exhaust more smoke.

And yes, not in reality, but COM would be working with all nowadays Tower/Approach freqs (like they did with fake Transpoder in Clipboard)

2 Likes

Btw for VR users:

I am using the Oculus Quest2 VR and the newest additional software like “OpenXR Toolkit” and the “OculusTrayTool”
It works very well with it, despite that sometimes I have some trouble with the mouse, but I think this is because of Asobo’s problems with VR in general.
It’s much easier to handle all the instruments, plungers, dials, knobes 'n stuff in 2D-view.
But with the mentioned VR additionals (see above) it’s so much worth it.
Haven’t seen any glitches in VR so far … maybe the Instruments which are further away from the POV are a bit unsharp/blurry depending on your settings.

As far I know Ottmar hasn’t VR goggles… so: Yeap, Ottmar … it worx well besides the Asobo thingy

And for those who are trying to fly this plane …
Things are all well explained in the manual…
So … most problems concerning the engines can be solved and explaines by yourself by reading it :slightly_smiling_face: :wink:

Cheers

I love the fact that you have to adjust the mixture using the engine sound and feel, just like the real thing in the period. Too rich or lean and the engine runs rough and vibrates :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes a brilliant plane, and brilliant in VR.
Though in VR the cockpit is slightly underscale, everything is maybe 3/4 the size it should be.
Still not flown anything else since I got it.

Now usable in FSEconomy for those who like some extra interest in their flights…

1 Like

The purchase site seems to hang saying “redirectiong to PayPal”

To me it looks just fine (HP Reverb G2).

Though I would appreciate VR zoom, pretty please?

1 Like

I had my first flight in this gem this afternoon. What an enjoyable aircraft to fly. It is simply wonderful in my opinion. So of it’s era and so immersive. I am impressed by the level of detail and the price is amazing. I hope Wing42 do more airraft from this era.

Aren’t underscale areas usually due to whatever that VR scaling setting is, being off a bit? I can’t remember the name, but you generally set it by comparing your real & VR hand.

Internal sounds distorting like crazy might simply be down to the engine noise just being too loud & overdriving whatever the processing is that happens when you shut the window. The engine sounds in general are very loud compared to other big piston A/C.

What a really involving A/C this is ( it’s one reason I want an Anson ) - I haven’t even tried radio nav yet, that’s going to be quite something, and this from someone who routinely uses VOR nav rather than GPS when it fits the A/C…

I don’t see VR to be underscaled (HP Reverb G2), although I wouldn’t bet on it as I have never seen any problems in any of the planes, but this “issue” is listed as one of the most voted VR bugs in MSFS (I don’t get it?). VR is ok, but I cannot grab mixture levers at all with my mouse and have to use a scroll wheel. Wobble pump and manual landing gear lever are a bit unsightly to operate but can be done so so. For some reason I cannot operate the radio menu and have to go to the co-pilot side to operate the com radio manually.

Edit: Love the plane. No other plane gives as much satisfaction by simply getting the engines running and keeping them running. Preloaded states from the clipboard would make it a plane suited for everyone. I usually have an hour to spend in MSFS and this plane requires time.

I saw some people earlier posting about not being able to hear the radio music, well you gotta be in range of a station and tune into it to listen! There’s a CSV of all the music stations in the documentation folder which you can either read yourself or import into little navmap and see them there.

Or if you don’t wanna use LNM (dunno why not, it’s a great app!) then here’s a quick Google MyMaps thing I whipped up by importing the CSV into it. The labels are the station ID and the frequency:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1vwFmIZM7Icrgfsizw7i2RENb-eOA55Eq&usp=sharing

I also imported the radio range stations CSV as a separate layer which is off by default (or at least should be!) Map label shows the ID and frequency. Click on the icons to get the inbound courses.

6 Likes

That’s an awesome Google Maps overlay - as someone who lives in the Nashville area, it delights me that WSM-650AM is in the list. :slight_smile:

That said, the state-saving issue seems to affect the radio as well. I was parked at KSFO when I stopped my flight last night (the video I posted up-thread). I had flown from the same airport the day before, but the radio wasn’t tuned anymore when I started up. I left it tuned again last night - I will check when I get of work in a while to see if the radio is out of tune again, despite the dial positions for Band and frequency.

2 Likes

I wonder if it’s possible to mod in your own music. I had a poke around but couldn’t find any separate audio files only one big package which I’m guessing is a big wwise thing. God knows if you can edit that but it’d be pretty neat being able to add your own jazz hits or maybe even old time radio shows.

1 Like

That would be a GREAT feature.

One thing I appreciate about the in-flight radio is that my long video yesterday did not trigger the ContentID/DMCA bots on YouTube, lol.

Thank you so much for this post and your genuine show of commitment to and support for our community. I can’t speak for anyone but myself however I have a strong suspicion that others share my thoughts. I am retired and although I have a considerable investment into my sim hardware I don’t have alot of disposable income to throw at new aircraft and when I saw this old bird become available for a price that is half to 1/3 the cost of most of the payware available I had to have it. Actually, it is only the 2nd payware A/C I’ve acquired and I am delighted to say it is a real challenge but joy to get airborne (and stay there).

My first flight ended with an attempted (unsuccessful) landing on a highway due to both engines cutting out. I have no idea what caused it as my fuel was still in great shape and the gauges all appeared to be within flight requirements but I know as well that there is alot to this bird that I’m not anywhere near fully understanding, and that is what makes this such an incredible bargain. A complex machine that I’m sure is going to take a long time to master.

Thank you and the team at Wing42 for this great addition to our community and with your enthusiastic involvement I’m sure we all feel this is only going to get better for a long time to come.

9 Likes